Tharold Simon is back to playing shutdown coverage

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Playing in his first game since returning from shoulder surgery, Simon allowed only one reception for two yards (zero YAC) on four targets. He notched two passes defended and a QB rating allowed of only 39.6.

PFF awarded Simon a coverage grade of +3.5, which is by far the highest of the preseason and the highest coverage grade for a Seahawk defender since Earl Thomas recorded a +3.7 against the Rams in last year's regular season finale.

titan3131

Reaction score
It amazes me how ignorant our fan base is about t simon.

He was pro bowl caliber before he was injured, he was forced to play thru injury and that's where all his bad play started.

It was great to see hin return to form!

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
OrangeUnderstatedIntermediateegret.gif

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
PerfectWarlikeKiskadee.gif

This is tight coverage, even though the ball was overthrown. The above were his four targets against, while playing 21 coverage snaps (tied for most played on the team).

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
titan3131":33cq2ogm said:

He was pro bowl caliber before he was injured, he was forced to play thru injury and that's where all his bad play started.

I'm amazed at how ignorant all fan bases are in general.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Thought he really had an opportunity to get a pick on one of those throws, which would have been great. Thought to myself when I saw it, Sherman would have come down with that one. But overall I was quite happy with what I saw from Simon out there last night.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":31wixit2 said:
Thought he really had an opportunity to get a pick on one of those throws, which would have been great. Thought to myself when I saw it, Sherman would have come down with that one. But overall I was quite happy with what I saw from Simon out there last night.

That first one was a typical Sherman pick play. But still amazing that he timed it right to go up, while shielding the receiver, and got his hands on it. Simon has picked off a few plays like that in the past, so I'm not too worried about it.

RussB

Reaction score
They should really start him and shead. Put one of them as the nickel cb. What is the point of having cary williams when he is getting outplayed . Id rather have swatted down passes than completions so i really dont care if he doesnt pick it. Cut williams and free up some cap space

vin.couve12

Reaction score
This was always my original concern with signing Cary Williams to that contract. Simon, when healthy, was the more consistent player. What you see right away is, in true Seahawks CB form, he really gets his hands on WRs so he can feel where they're trying to go. He couldn't do that with the shoulder injury and it showed. Cary Williams, on the other hand, just isn't getting up there and pressing for an unknown reason. He's playing soft in coverage even though he's lining up pretty tight. Really doesn't make a lot of sense.

However, we knew that Simon and Lane are very good players. The problem is that we also knew their health was in serious question and we had nothing behind them that we could go into a season with. If Simon were to have any sort of setback we'd be counting on some youngster that is a relative unknown since we already knew Lane wasn't going to be ready.

Hence the Cary Williams signing. I think the contract sucked and I don't think we net gain anything by cutting him this year, but it is what it is.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
titan3131":pkjqqaa3 said:

Pro Bowl caliber??
Exaggerate much?
He looked like pure poo in XLIX the biggest game of his career, where he got beat like a rented mule, and if he was that hurt he shouldn't be on the field.

I hope he ends up being a pro bowl caliber CB but I wouldn't bet the farm on it, and nothing I've seen screams pro bowl caliber, and one good preseason game won't change that, sorry.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
titan3131":2qreq1o8 said:

Amen!!! Totally agree. I hope he steals the starting job from Cary, who looked like do poo out there. Now, if we only had a Kam replacement.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
There is absolutely no such thing as a Kam replacement. Even if we were to somehow obtain the next best safety in the league that is still in no way, shape or form replacing Kam.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I love how the same people who called Simon crap last year are suddenly in love with him while now hating Cary Williams for getting beat twice by a Pro Bowl WR.

This board is the best.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1nu4k6yc said:
titan3131":1nu4k6yc said:

Pro Bowl caliber??
Exaggerate much?
He looked like pure poo in XLIX the biggest game of his career, where he got beat like a rented mule, and if he was that hurt he shouldn't be on the field.

I hope he ends up being a pro bowl caliber CB but I wouldn't bet the farm on it, and nothing I've seen screams pro bowl caliber, and one good preseason game won't change that, sorry.

Regular Season passer rating given up by Simon in 10 games played: 44.4
Playoff passer rating given up 147.5

I am sure that shoulder injury he received had nothing to do with any of that. :34853_doh: As far as if he was that hurt that he shouldn't have been on the field, I agree. I put that one on the coaching staff and having Burley who was healthy inactive for the Super Bowl.

Regardless a healthy Simon puts up some amazing numbers, at least for the 2014 regular season.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":3ocsleh4 said:
Cary Williams is in for a dogfight.
You don't say? Sherman already said it all when he said as for pure physical talent he's better than anyone on the LoB. He just needs experience at this point.