A few observations on the OL - Week 3

kearly

Reaction score
First, it was hard to get a great review because Seattle held the ball so little and didn't run very many plays. That said, here are some random observations of some of the OL/TE members.

Gilliam:

He played pretty much the entire game.

Vs. the starters, Gilliam did a good job staying in front of pass rushers while protecting against an inside move, and he seemed decently stout against a bull rush. Chargers didn't seem to do a very good job of testing him on the edge rush. It didn't seem like a challenging assignment, but Gilliam did what you would like to see.

Vs. the backups, Gilliam started getting some nice push in the run game, particularly on doubles. Rawls had a couple of nice gainers late in the game and both were fueled by double teams keyed by Gilliam.

Overall, Gilliam looked like a solid and well rounded starter, and against the 4th stringers he looked dominant. He still looks like a guy that is figuring out the position, but he uses his size, arm length, and athleticism well enough.

Sweezy:

Kind of a solid but forgettable game, the Chargers didn't attack Sweezy the way that the Broncos did.

Nowak:

Started again, played better this time. He has a little strength, even if it feels like he needs a double team to move anybody, and he's not the ZBS dream that Unger once was. Unger was a great cut blocker and great 2nd level guy. Nowak feels more like a man-scheme guy so far, taking a lot of matchups straight up. He anchors well in protection. I guess we'll see how fast his feet are against Aaron Donald. Overall, looked like a passable starter in this game.

Britt:

If he hadn't been so tall, I bet he would have been moved to guard in college. It's a natural position for him. His tendency to quit a little on the outside edge rush can still be a problem though, like on the play where Russell overthrew Graham deep.

Bailey:

I wonder if he slept the night before the game. He just looked out of it.

Graham:

Still not a consistent high effort blocker. I'll predict that by the latter half of the season, Seattle will be using Graham to block quite a bit less and treat him more as a pure receiver.

Glowinsky:

Strangely enough, for a guy that gets comped to Sweezy, Glowinsky looks relatively rotund. He seems to move to the second level decently well but not because he looks fast, more because he looks well coached.

Glowingsky has a strong upper body and good feet. At least so far that has made him really tough to shake in pass pro. Vs. the run he's more of a wrestler than a drive blocker. He's another guy that kind of feels designed for more of a man blocking system. He entered the game in the 2nd half and faced mostly camp bodies and looked solid (while Gilliam looked dominant against the same group.)

A lot of the TFL's Seattle gave up were a result of San Diego blitzing the run or blitzing the bootleg and guessing right. It didn't seem like they wanted to show much in terms of confusing Seattle's interior protection though.

The overall OL performance seemed pretty average. Seattle's first half struggles on offense mostly boiled down to the team shooting themselves in the foot over and over again with negative plays and missed throws.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I appreciate the write-up. I have such a hard time judging OL play that I rely really heavily on other posters to posit their thoughts. My uneducated impression was actually that the OL looked much better overall than they did week 1 of the preseason, and perhaps marginally improved from last week. This was not reflected in others' impressions in the Gameday thread, so I thought I might just be totally off-base.

It seemed like a lot of the pressure came off of extra rushers where the D guessed right, or against Alvin Bailey. Seemed as though others did fairly well, at least by Seattle standards.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. Love your thoughts on the offensive line. I was yelling to cut Bailey and give Gilliam an extension :D The rest of the line played a forgettable game by my book.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up. I think the Chargers were a bit of an easier assignment than the previous two, and if we can handle them, we just might be OK this year. Because, besides the Rams, (and to a lesser extent, the Ravens, Panthers, and maaaybe the Bengals) we won't really see matchups as difficult on the front 7 as Denver and KC have already provided. There's reason to believe that O-line won't kill Russell quite as badly as they might have if the Lions still had Suh and Fairley or we had to go up against the AFC East with the Bills and Miami front 7s.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I didn't get to see the game, so this kind of review is quite helpful, and to be honest, a bit relieving. I know the OL isn't where we'd all love it to be, but it's nice to see improvement.

I want Gilliam to work out at tackle so badly. I love the idea of Britt at LG, and hope our C will be solidified. But if we can't open holes for Lynch, it'll be a long season.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good write up. Unless I have pause and rewind, I can't really scout OL because I have to look at once guy and I miss all the other stuff. You also played OL and have a better understanding of it than I do (my one year at Guard was more of a formality and I never got game reps with it).

I watched a bit of tape on Glowisnki, and he seemed to do pretty well at WVU. They ran a ZBS there and he combo blocked and peeled off to the 2nd level really well, at least in college. He was also nasty and blocked to the whistle. I was pretty excited about him after watching some highlights, but I envision this as a Sweezy insurance move, in case Sweezy gets offered more money than we can offer him in FA.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":3od5abdt said:
Bailey:

You could have written 500 words on Bailey's disgusting performance . . . four pressures, a sack, a false start, terrible run blocking.

massari

Reaction score
jkitsune":37l3vikf said:
I appreciate the write-up. I have such a hard time judging OL play that I rely really heavily on other posters to posit their thoughts.

Me too. I just know the obvious and look for how much pressure is on the QB to get rid of the ball.

Also, why aren't the Seahawks being linked in rumors to the best remaining FA OL in Jake Long? You'd think they'd be willing to take a gamble on him. Any Ideas?

TalontedNoseRider

Reaction score
Kearly, as always thank you for the post.

You're the jewel of .NET and it ain't even close.

#realtalk #sarcasmoff #pillowbiting

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
jammerhawk":82hy2u7o said:
I dunno, two words would do, he sucked.

Yup. I honestly can't remember the last time a Hawks OL disappointed me more. He's playing this preseason like he gained weight instead of the opposite. He looked terrific this time two years ago, and it's just been a steady decline since then.

nanomoz

Reaction score
kearly":16rfv1o6 said:
Bailey:

Woah, you're right, It was Bailey that made the whole unit look bad. I didn't realize so much "ugh" was due to him. Honest, I was so frustrated I wasn't noticing personnel up front.

And that's the nicest way you could have said that. You are a true follower of Aros.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":1psvppn9 said:
jammerhawk":1psvppn9 said:

Yup. I honestly can't remember the last time a Hawks OL disappointed me more. He's playing this preseason like he gained weight instead of the opposite. He looked terrific this time two years ago, and it's just been a steady decline since then.
Yes, Bailey has been awful and it's obvious to anyone that's watched the games. So what the hell does the team do when the inevitable Okung injury happens and he misses 5 games?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Great write up. I think it's hard to completely judge the offense w/Okung out, and Beast only in on 3 plays. And as far as the team goes, w/out Earl or Kam, it's just completely different overall. Clearly the O-Line needs some work, but they made back to back Super Bowl games w/an average O-Line.

McGruff

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2h0hpmw6 said:
kearly":2h0hpmw6 said:
jammerhawk":2h0hpmw6 said:

Yes, Bailey has been awful and it's obvious to anyone that's watched the games. So what the hell does the team do when the inevitable Okung injury happens and he misses 5 games?

Gilliam to LT, Poole or Britt at RT, Britt or Glow at LG.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Thanks for the writeup. Makes me feel better if everyone played ok outside of Bailey and we will have Okung when it counts as well. A little thin for my liking but should be fine as long as everyone stays healthy.

Dougula

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3ee05lrr said:
kearly":3ee05lrr said:
Bailey:

You could have written 500 words on Bailey's disgusting performance . . . four pressures, a sack, a false start, terrible run blocking.

I can sum those 500 words up in 3.

YOU ARE FIRED

or w/an emoji

:pukeface:

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
I'm hoping that some team's final cuts will include a decent swing tackle that we can pick up to replace Bailey. Our starters should be sufficient but we can't trust Bailey if he has to play. Far and away the biggest on-field disappointment of training camp and preseason so far.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great post Kearly. As for the OL goes, this isn't the 2013 OL, it's not even last season's OL. The OL instead of improving has regressed each year. Yeah, the other areas of the team have been able to overcome that deficiency but a turd surrounded by diamonds is still a turd. I believe that Wilson and Lynch are the key components of making the OL look better than they are. Heck more so Lynch than anyone else. When Lynch is in there, this offense is much different. It's not even close. He masks a lot of the OL deficiencies by being the best yards after contact back in the NFL. That fact remains whether it's regular season or preseason. They have not ran the ball well this preseason. In regular season games when Lynch hasn't been in there, the offense stalled. Plenty of games over the past few years have shown that.