Peter King: Seahawks #1 spot for RG3 if he's released

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
"Seattle would be number one. GM John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll are always looking for an edge, and they won’t care about ruffling feathers with backup Tavaris Jackson. Griffin could learn a new offense with little pressure, seeing that Russell Wilson has never missed a start in 54 games since being drafted 73 spots after Griffin in 2012."

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/01/robe ... ington-nfl

Didn't see this thread posted anywhere. Sounds like a crazy idea to me, but PK is pretty well connected with the Seahawks so who knows.

Ozzy

Reaction score
My initial thought was no way it would be a terrible decision but on some levels it makes sense and it wouldn't shock me if he actually did well if ever called upon. He fits the offense that's for sure.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I very much like the idea as a backup. RGIII, when healthy, has mobility which is a necessary facet of his game if he's stuck (read: escaping from) behind our O-line. He has a decent arm.

He'd just need to work on holding the ball longer, LOL. Seriously, though, improving his accuracy and limiting turnovers would help immensely. How would he do in a run-first offense? Not sure about that...

McGruff

Reaction score
This actually makes a ton of sense. RG3 is like a younger, better version of Jackson. He needs a ton of coaching and mental rehab work, but if someone like Pete can put the pieces back together he can still play in this league.

From Griffins perspective it makes a ton of sense. Fits the scheme, low pressure, good coaching.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I think you're right McGruff.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I admit, I wanted the Hawks to take RGIII and thought Wilson was a bit of a head scratcher. Go ahead and laugh, I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

I like the idea, but hope he would be a QB3. I don't like the thought of turning the team over to RGIII against the Packers if Wilson gets hurt in week one.

-bsd

AgentDib

Reaction score
The reason why I don't see happening is money. RG3 has already earned $20 million so far and I'm skeptical that he would want to risk his health further in order to play on a minimal contract in a situation where he wouldn't be given a chance at the starting job. I suppose it depends on how much of that $20 million he has saved.

I'm guessing Kirwan is looking at the team's point of view only, and if RG3 wanted to be a backup here on a cheap contract then it makes plenty of sense for the Seahawks. The real cost would be having to carry a 3rd QB but that's not a huge deal when we're already considering a roster spot for Daniels based on his positional flexibility.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
absolutely no way this happens.....as in zero %......

RGIII is a me first selfish player and has a huge ego.....does anyone see him talking down to our teammates when they miss a block (which happens almost every other play)....??

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":22u7yxx8 said:
Where's the money gonna come from though?
This.

Was talking about exactly this in another thread with Jaghawk and the fact that we already have too much money tied up in the QB position to outbid anyone at all for him is where I landed as well. RG III would have to completely let go of his ego and be looking to do the best thing for his career instead of his wallet ... ain't happening IMO.

themunn

Reaction score
I'd have thought SF was the #1 spot, the Niners offense figures to be much more like the RGIII O

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Barthawk":1zrgd6m2 said:
Peaches- good point. The $$$ would have to be available if he is traded, because there is no way he clears waivers and becomes a UFA.
Oh yes there is. Because any team who claims him on waivers also claims and is on the hook for his fully guaranteed $3.3M salary for this season. That ain't happening.

McGruff

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1qj8s889 said:
Barthawk":1qj8s889 said:
Peaches- good point. The $$$ would have to be available if he is traded, because there is no way he clears waivers and becomes a UFA.
Oh yes there is. Because any team who claims him on waivers also claims and is on the hook for his fully guaranteed $3.3M salary for this season. That ain't happening.

I believe they would also be on the hoof for his 15 million guaranteed next year.

McGruff

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":1gi5qohl said:
peachesenregalia":1gi5qohl said:
This.

Was talking about exactly this in another thread with Jaghawk and the fact that we already have too much money tied up in the QB position to outbid anyone at all for him is where I landed as well. RG III would have to completely let go of his ego and be looking to do the best thing for his career instead of his wallet ... ain't happening IMO.

If RG3 comes here, or probably anywhere for that matter, it's on a one year prove it deal to rehabilitate his career, not to compete immediately for a starting gig.

HawkGA

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2iltq0sf said:
He'll be really cheap. Really, really cheap.

12thbrah

Reaction score
giphy.gif

A

Anonymous

Noooooooooooooo!!!

I vehemently oppose this thought.

RG3 is the most breakable human being in existence.

unbreakable_72414.jpg

StoneCold

Reaction score
Other than his first year I've seen nothing from RG3 that makes me think he'd fit in our system. He's kind of mobile when he's not hurt, but he is loosey goosey with the ball and makes terrible passes. This is a terrible idea and I think Peter is just trolling Seahawk land to get clicks.

Yuck!

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The way it might work financially... If he is cut, the Skins are on the hook for 3.269 mil for this year, but save 16.1 mil next year (if he is healthy when cut)*. Nobody is going to trade for him at that price, nor are they going to claim his contract in the waivers process and be on the hook for the 16.1

In all likelihood RGIII will be a free agent before the season starts and will have the 3.269 mil in his pocket*. Hawks can sign him for vet min, but he will get a lot more elsewhere.

It will be up to him. Gamble on improving his game with the Hawks and potentially extend his career, or take the money elsewhere.

- bsd

* If he is waived while still in the concussion protocol, I don't see how he doesn't collect on the 16.1 next year. If he isn't cleared to play before he is cut, then I assume the Skins will give him an injury settlement to clear the books of him. If he gets an injury settlement, then he will get claimed off waivers.