Penalty called on the Marshawn fumble

seabowl

Reaction score
Can someone please explain how the refs assessed the penalty alter the Marshawn fumble? They said GB was offsides and also they called an unsportsmanlike penalty on the GB player for pulling a Seahawks player off the pile. They assessed the 5 yard offsides penalty and said that because the unsportsmanlike penalty (which was 15 yards) was a dead ball foul, that only the 5 yarder is counted.

I didn't understand why Seattle couldn't accept the 15 yard penalty over the 5 yard offsides. Can someone please explain?

BullHawk33

Reaction score
seabowl":dcxjjm0p said:
Can someone please explain how the refs assessed the penalty alter the Marshawn fumble? They said GB was offsides and also they called an unsportsmanlike penalty on the GB player for pulling a Seahawks player off the pile. They assessed the 5 yard offsides penalty and said that because the unsportsmanlike penalty (which was 15 yards) was a dead ball foul, that only the 5 yarder is counted.

I didn't understand why Seattle couldn't accept the 15 yard penalty over the 5 yard offsides. Can someone please explain?

The offsides happened prior to the snap, so if accepted, the play didn't happen, we keep the ball and we get 5 yards.

The 15 yard penalty happened after the fumble, so if that would have been accepted, we would have had to lose the ball, then the Packers would have been assessed 15 yards from the dead ball spot.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
BullHawk33":2iznmbzl said:
seabowl":2iznmbzl said:

The offsides happened prior to the snap, so if accepted, the play didn't happen, we keep the ball and we get 5 yards.

The 15 yard penalty happened after the fumble, so if that would have been accepted, we would have had to lose the ball, then the Packers would have been assessed 15 yards from the dead ball spot.

Good catch, I missed the reason why.

A

Anonymous

Pete said (in his presser) that on that play, one penalty was during/before play during action, and the other penalty was a dead ball foul. Had they accepted the unsportsmanlike penalty, they would have also had to surrender possession of the football (and gain a 15-yard walk off).

Because that penalty occurred after the play, and you accept it, in doing so you give up to the result of the play call on the field, which in this case was a GB fumble recovery. Thus, they declined that penalty and accepted the off-side.

MVP53

Reaction score
BullHawk33":elc2fi53 said:
seabowl":elc2fi53 said:

I get that part, but in that scenario, they don't just assess both penalties? Seems like a dead ball, personal foul should be assessed whether the preceding play technically took place or not.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
MVP53":52ge6m2b said:
BullHawk33":52ge6m2b said:
seabowl":52ge6m2b said:

I get that part, but in that scenario, they don't just assess both penalties? Seems like a dead ball, personal foul should be assessed whether the preceding play technically took place or not.
Exactly. The unsportsmanlike penalty was for pulling someone off the pile, a no-no the NFL is trying to enforce this year. Shouldn't matter who recovers the ball.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Seems to me the 15 yd penalty should have been assessed regardless. That's what I thought at the time. I'm sure Mike Carey saw it differently.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":355vrxbk said:
Seems to me the 15 yd penalty should have been assessed regardless. That's what I thought at the time. I'm sure Mike Carey saw it differently.

Just curious. If a Packer punched a Hawk player after the play, since it was a dead ball foul, then that wouldn't have been called? In thinking more about it, the non call does not make sense.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
seabowl":3ct4a1xx said:
Zebulon Dak":3ct4a1xx said:

Just curious. If a Packer punched a Hawk player after the play, since it was a dead ball foul, then that wouldn't have been called? In thinking more about it, the non call does not make sense.

Exactly.

It was a dead ball foul, it shouldnt have mattered what happened during the play.

If their logic is correct, in the future, players can just whatever they want in those scenarios.....haul off and start decking people because they know the opposing team cant accept the penalty?

Something seems amiss. Dead ball penalties are assessed with no regard to the play at hand all the time

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hawkpower":y29yfrm2 said:
seabowl":y29yfrm2 said:
Zebulon Dak":y29yfrm2 said:

Exactly.

It was a dead ball foul, it shouldnt have mattered what happened during the play.

If their logic is correct, in the future, players can just whatever they want in those scenarios.....haul off and start decking people because they know the opposing team cant accept the penalty?

Something seems amiss. Dead ball penalties are assessed with no regard to the play at hand all the time

Agreed. Anybody got a rulebook excerpt to share on this one?