Can Jeremy Lane play in the outside?

blazen2392

Reaction score
seriously. Cary Williams is a HUGE liability in this defense. Kam made some mental mistakes and im guessing a little rust is still there, so I can forgive that and we know he is the best SS in football. Cary williams was so outmatched. He looked like a child trying to cover an adults. This guy is just not physically gifted. very small and very slow.

Can lane play on the outside? it can't be that much different from the slot right?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It was Cary's first game really struggling. He held his own against Calvin. I thought a couple of those PI calls were very very ticky tack. Against A.J. Green he had zero shot in that matchup, and Richard adjusted.

Lets let Lane get on the field first and see how he looks post injury. Lets let Cary have another game before we see if this was a bad game or a trend back to his Philly days.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Yes he can, his rookie year he switched shared time with Maxwell on the outside in Browners absence.

RussB

Reaction score
maxwell was better(not philly maxwell). He was also a big part of the LOB even though some ppl dont think so, should have actually paid him instead of giving wilson such a big contract. He played more physical than cary and was better in coverage.

nrayorr

Reaction score
Well, something needs to be done. Dalton was targeting Cary Williams most of the fourth quarter and it worked almost every time. Seahawks were lights out the first half... just wish they could have done that all game long.

Largent80

Reaction score
Can't WAIT to get Lane back and making plays. Haven't heard any news of how he is progressing.

Davidess

Reaction score
All Pete has said is that he isn't progressing as they'd like.
A lot of writers are speculating he wont be back this year and if so it wont be till playoff time if he does come back.

I wouldn't hold my breath on him coming back this year though.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
According to PFF Kam had the worst game in the NFL last week for all eligible players in the secondary in the NFL. FWIW though I do think Eifert's second TE was as on ET (who bit on Dalton's eyes to clear out the middle) as it was on Kam (who seemingly thought he was passing off to ET, and clearly wasn't).

As for Williams, he's doing what he's always done: he's a decent intermediate CB who is prone to getting beaten deep and getting a bunch of PI calls in the process. Remember too that Williams getting eaten up on that 70 yard TD to Green also got erased due to a holding penalty.

Over the summer when I said that I thought the Hawks overspent on him I got bashed for it across multiple threads, but I was wrong in saying that I thought they overpaid but he'd still be pretty effective. So far he hasn't been, and what I overlooked was actually pretty predictable:

As the Hawks defensive scheme has adjusted since the increased enforcement of the 5 yard rule, Williams physically looks a lot like the prototypical Seattle CB, but he's never played like that. Asking Williams to cover deep third in a no-press cover 3 is basically playing to all his weaknesses. If you can look off Earl Thomas to the right or on the right seam and add up Williams' deep struggles and P.I.s you're basically talking about a 35% chance on those left sideline deep shots, which for a QB is right around leading the league.

Basically because of the Hawks' scheme and what Williams is bad at, on the left side Williams can turn a middle of the pack QB into Aaron Rodgers.

I think the Hawks have two options:

1) Start moving Sherman around to shadow the #1 (as they did last week)

2) Start shading Thomas more to that side and hope Sherman can maintain his level of play without any protection from ET when offenses are letting the middle third go.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
AJ Green belongs in the elite category of NFL receivers. He is arguably having the best season of his career and Bengals in general are playing very good football as a team. Carry Williams is not even a concern. Maxwell used to get burned all the time.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Deshawn Shead can play outside. He did earlier this season and fared pretty well. Short term fix could be Sherman and Shead outside. Move Williams to the nickel. Williams might be better there. Then there's Tye Smith too. Smith may be able to play the outside as well.

RW92

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3di1q39t said:
Deshawn Shead can play outside. He did earlier this season and fared pretty well. Short term fix could be Sherman and Shead outside. Move Williams to the nickel. Williams might be better there. Then there's Tye Smith too. Smith may be able to play the outside as well.

I agree with this suggestion the most. Shead in my opinion is better than Williams at this time. We can not afford to lose winnable games. As mentioned by another poster, move Sherman with the #1 receiver, put Shead on the other corner and if needed put Williams in the nickel. And yes I would give Tye Smith a chance if Williams doesn't improve at all.
The other area that needs improvement is a push directly up the middle other than MIchael Bennett. We need to get off the field on 3rd and long. Rubin and Mebane have to start exerting their will. In fact there are times when I wish they would take Rubin out and let the Frank Clark put the push up the middle on 3rd and passing downs. He has shown he has the strength to push the offensive lineman back into the quarterback.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Williams up to this point has played decently. He did a good job on Calvin Johnson, but got ate up by AJ Green. Honestly, at this point, I think Green is the better receiver, at least this year.

With Shead on the outside, we're going to have growing pains. Now, he might have a higher ceiling, but the one game he started this year (on the outside), he struggled, and about as bad as Williams did last game.

Lane isn't coming back this year. If he's out that long, he might not come back at 100%, ever. That break on his forearm was nasty and the ACL also isn't coming along.

I'd like to see Smith get some time and progress, but he might be a bit too raw right now.

Is Seisay out on IR ? If so, that's a bummer.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Apparently the team thought Kearse was more important than Maxwell. If they are willing to pay Williams 6 mil I'm assuming they offered Maxwell more.

If we let Kearse walk, which we should have, we could have kept Maxwell for the next 3-4 years

By letting Kearse go your defense doesn't down grade, and your offense upgrades bc I like Matthews over Kearse but that's just my opinion

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Popeyejones":26rqyzqd said:
Basically because of the Hawks' scheme and what Williams is bad at, on the left side Williams can turn a middle of the pack QB into Aaron Rodgers.

:lol:

Literally, he was their best corner the first 4 games. Clearly this Bengals passing offense is for real, and AJ Green is going to make a lot of corners look silly. Just ask the Ravens secondary.

Popeyejones":26rqyzqd said:
I think the Hawks have two options:

1) Start moving Sherman around to shadow the #1 (as they did last week)

2) Start shading Thomas more to that side and hope Sherman can maintain his level of play without any protection from ET when offenses are letting the middle third go.

1) Fortunately we only face two elite WR's the rest of the season (Dez .. who will likely not be 100% or have Romo, and Antonio Brown.. who is going to be a nightmare for any corner we have) .. only way Sherman starts shadowing is if you see a team come in with 1 WR threat a la SF a few years ago with Boldin IMO.

2) Again - Cary was fine up until Sunday. I love how one bad game erases the 4 great games he had prior to that.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":3gqtbq7g said:
Apparently the team thought Kearse was more important than Maxwell. If they are willing to pay Williams 6 mil I'm assuming they offered Maxwell more.

If we let Kearse walk, which we should have, we could have kept Maxwell for the next 3-4 years

By letting Kearse go your defense doesn't down grade, and your offense upgrades bc I like Matthews over Kearse but that's just my opinion

Yeah .. Kearse at 2M is the reason we couldn't keep Maxwell at $10.5M a year with $25M guaranteed. Definitely all Kearse there.

Solid take.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Offense can't get a first down for nearly an entire half, and Cary Williams giving up a few catches to top receivers from the hottest QB in the league, after being on the field for almost 30 min. straight, is why we lost a close game...really?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1rzba4il said:
kthebestwayw":1rzba4il said:

Yeah .. Kearse at 2M is the reason we couldn't keep Maxwell at $10.5M a year with $25M guaranteed. Definitely all Kearse there.

Solid take.

Didn't you forget something? :sarcasm_on:

massari

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":21uhoh47 said:

No way the Seahawks should pay Maxwell that much money.

I don't think they should've have signed Cary Williams+Kearse, either.

Instead they should've used that 9.36M (what Williams-7M+Kearse-2.36M make combined) and signed a cheaper CB like Alan Ball, Charles Tillman, Tarell Brown ect and used the rest towards a couple OL's like Joe Barksdale, Evan Mathis, Stefan Wisniewski, Richie Incognito ect.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
2Cool4School":1z5auznh said:
maxwell was better(not philly maxwell). He was also a big part of the LOB even though some ppl dont think so, should have actually paid him instead of giving wilson such a big contract. He played more physical than cary and was better in coverage.

So easy to say, if you're not managing the cap and calling the shots. Maxwell wasn't worth what Philly paid him, and there is no way the Hawks would have paid him anywhere near as much in this universe, or any parallel dimension.

I mean seriously....some fans need smell the coffee and look at the entire picture instead of myopically picking away as a seagull would.