Someone is learning...

Laloosh

Reaction score
Teams have been using corner and safety blitzes pretty regularly against us this season and a lot of us have been asking "Where are the hot routes?" or "Where are the short options to address this?".

I'm not sure if this was the original play called by Bevell or if it's an automatic hot route built into the play when the corner shows blitz but it's a new wrinkle that we haven't seen out of Bevell / Wilson and I'm likin' it.

2nd and 7 - corner and safety blitz
RONIMsE.gif

Statistically speaking, we tend to run in this situation but SF must be guessing pass. Burned.

Also... How many have been looking for this?

NfpeIfh

If the safeties start to cheat up a bit to stop that slant to Graham, I could see Lockett running a deep cross behind the safety for a TD or three.

HawkGA

Reaction score
That's pretty awesome. Would definitely like to see more of that. After the first play against Denver in the preseason, Bevell should have put hot routes into every play.

As to this play, I'm assuming it was not the original play call. No way they got that lucky. I'm assuming it was a read and react thing.

Crizilla

Reaction score
i really hope they just now didnt learn how to handle corner blitzes

Crizilla

Reaction score
does wilson always warm up with the elastic rope thing like he did against SF? They said it was to practice his quick release and warm up his arm. Looks like it helped a lot we were all waiting for quick releases while statue-ing the pocket. Thats what we need. Give me more of that stuff wilson and bevell. Twas' awesome to see.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
It's nice to see that, but every other team seems to have some success with hot routes when the D is blitzing a lot but the Hawks seem to be different and unique in a wholly negative way.

Either our OL is sooooooo bad that we can't even block 1 second, or our QB is stunted to the point he struggles with it, or our WRs can't catch quick throws right off the LOS, or our OC is so dense that he can't figure it out.

Or maybe it is an unholy version of all of those things watered down a little. Either way, the Hawks offense has been missing the NUMBER ONE counter to a team blitzing a lot.

In a brutal game of chess like NFL football is, you can't be handicapping yourself like that.

Anthony!

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":upe1zjhd said:
It's nice to see that, but every other team seems to have some success with hot routes when the D is blitzing a lot but the Hawks seem to be different and unique in a wholly negative way.

Either our OL is sooooooo bad that we can't even block 1 second, or our QB is stunted to the point he struggles with it, or our WRs can't catch quick throws right off the LOS, or our OC is so dense that he can't figure it out.

Or maybe it is an unholy version of all of those things watered down a little. Either way, the Hawks offense has been missing the NUMBER ONE counter to a team blitzing a lot.

In a brutal game of chess like NFL football is, you can't be handicapping yourself like that.

all you need to do it look at previous games, and the answer is OC we usually do not have hot reads, or check downs. Now the question is will the OC keep it going or try getting silly

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Crizilla":3p8armmx said:
does wilson always warm up with the elastic rope thing like he did against SF? They said it was to practice his quick release and warm up his arm. Looks like it helped a lot we were all waiting for quick releases while statue-ing the pocket. Thats what we need. Give me more of that stuff wilson and bevell. Twas' awesome to see.

Nope. I did some research, and as it turns out, Russell did that rope thingy for the very first time on Sunday. It is a small sample size, but that one game suggest the real key to quarterbacking in the NFL is the rope thingy.

Don't tell anyone.

mrt144

Reaction score
Scottemojo":keffnwen said:
Crizilla":keffnwen said:

Nope. I did some research, and as it turns out, Russell did that rope thingy for the very first time on Sunday. It is a small sample size, but that one game suggest the real key to quarterbacking in the NFL is the rope thingy.

Don't tell anyone.

Uh oh, Cam was seen using it too. We're late to the party.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Crizilla":271p7cjc said:

Yes. Bevell, hired by National Championship and Super Bowl winning head coach Pete Carroll to coordinate the offense, just figured out this weekend how to handle a corner blitz. Mind bottling, I know.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Crizilla":3aihoh35 said:

bah.

acbass

Reaction score
I've never understood why there hasn't been a huge emphasis on these hot routes and shorter plays. Russ does much better when he can get the ball, hit that back foot, and get the ball out of his hands. Not every pass play needs a 9 second drop back and run around. The key to this offense is their ability to run these types of plays. Keep it up!!

seahawks08

Reaction score
acbass":3jiq7sx9 said:
I've never understood why there hasn't been a huge emphasis on these hot routes and shorter plays. Russ does much better when he can get the ball, hit that back foot, and get the ball out of his hands. Not every pass play needs a 9 second drop back and run around. The key to this offense is their ability to run these types of plays. Keep it up!!

Plus we don't put extra stress on WRs scrambling and running outside of the planned routes. Every play breakdown does take a toll on the offense.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
seahawks08":3q0lp6h0 said:
Plus we don't put extra stress on WRs scrambling and running outside of the planned routes. Every play breakdown does take a toll on the offense.
And us.

gcolby

Reaction score
Laloosh":3ctyq84h said:
Teams have been using corner and safety blitzes pretty regularly against us this season and a lot of us have been asking "Where are the hot routes?" or "Where are the short options to address this?".

Amen to that.

Too bad it took 10 games for the light bulb to go on for Bevell and/or Wilson.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":egutyq85 said:
Crizilla":egutyq85 said:

Yes. Bevell, hired by National Championship and Super Bowl winning head coach Pete Carroll to coordinate the offense, just figured out this weekend how to handle a corner blitz. Mind bottling, I know.

That's my criticism. We went through this last year. Bevell seems to forget how to handle the blitz until November every season.