Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Doug Baldwin is this team's 2nd best all time WR

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • All respect to Daryl Turner, Sam McCollum, Paul Skansi, Brian Blades, Tommy Kane, Mike Pritchard, Joey Galloway, Darrell Jackson, Koren Robinson, Bobby Engran, Golden Tate and the rest of the good WRs we've had over the years, I would take DB over every one of them.

That's all. Respect to DB for being all and more we could have ever asked of him.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Word
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• You didn't mention Jerry Rice. I'd say he was better than the angry one.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Tech Worlds wrote:You didn't mention Jerry Rice. I'd say he was better than the angry one.

Over his career, yes. With us, not so much.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• How the hell did Koren Robinson even get on that list? Unless it was a list for dropped passes.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• You forgot DJ Hackett and Deon Butler!
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• Doug is a receiver that just brings his hard hat, his lunch pail and just gets to work, blue collar receiver. There isn't much not to like about Doug. There are receivers that did it for longer, for more yards, but I'm sure Doug will be in the conversation if he keeps going. Longevity has to do a lot more with this than most rankings.

Just look at Joey Gallaway, 5 years, more yards. Now if only we had a QB that could actually throw and see over his line, Doug might have that metric down.
    BullHawk33
    NET Starter

• BullHawk33 wrote:Doug is a receiver that just brings his hard hat, his lunch pail and just gets to work, blue collar receiver. There isn't much not to like about Doug. There are receivers that did it for longer, for more yards, but I'm sure Doug will be in the conversation if he keeps going. Longevity has to do a lot more with this than most rankings.

Just look at Joey Gallaway, 5 years, more yards. Now if only we had a QB that could actually throw and see over his line, Doug might have that metric down.

I think you forgot the sarcasm note on that last part. At least I hope you did....
    Year of The Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Amen Brother! That is an astute observation, and one that I have to agree with. If nothing else but for his contributions to this team. Between that, and his amazing, toe-tapping catches, I would have to agree.

I'd probably put Brian Blades 3rd. He was a good, but not great, receiver.

Good to hear from you Zeb. Long time no post in the main forum. :D
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• He's been the best we got since 2011, even though 2012 was kinda screwed up by injuries.
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:He's been the best we got since 2011, even though 2012 was kinda screwed up by injuries.

Ever see the picture of his mouth after Game 1 at AZ in 2012?
    Basis4day
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Basis4day wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:He's been the best we got since 2011, even though 2012 was kinda screwed up by injuries.

Ever see the picture of his mouth after Game 1 at AZ in 2012?

And the one of his collarbone, it was rough year for Douglas.
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• And he has one heck of a mentor in Largent.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I'd put him behind largent, blades and djack personally.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• There's nothing that ADB is bad at - the only thing that holds him back is targets, and there was a notable shift in the second half of last year in that regard.
    I'm putting it out there that next year he'll break franchise records for yards and receptions, as well as his own for TDs.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• themunn wrote:There's nothing that ADB is bad at - the only thing that holds him back is targets, and there was a notable shift in the second half of last year in that regard.
    I'm putting it out there that next year he'll break franchise records for yards and receptions, as well as his own for TDs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lockett puts up better numbers then Baldwin next year.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• CPHawk wrote:How the hell did Koren Robinson even get on that list? Unless it was a list for dropped passes.

I loved KRob. Had such high hopes for the dude. He may not have delivered as advertised but he hit every now and again.

I could have put Jeff Chadwick on the list. :)
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• ivotuk wrote:Amen Brother! That is an astute observation, and one that I have to agree with. If nothing else but for his contributions to this team. Between that, and his amazing, toe-tapping catches, I would have to agree.

I'd probably put Brian Blades 3rd. He was a good, but not great, receiver.

Good to hear from you Zeb. Long time no post in the main forum. :D

Thanks man. I usually leave the football talk to those who know more than I do (or know a lot less than they think they do, because that's also a lot of fun). I was just watching some DB highlights last night and got emotional.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• JSeahawks wrote:
    themunn wrote:There's nothing that ADB is bad at - the only thing that holds him back is targets, and there was a notable shift in the second half of last year in that regard.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lockett puts up better numbers then Baldwin next year.

Wouldn't surprise me either. In fact I'd be happier than a pig in $h!t if DB does what he normally does and No E excels because of it.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• If 2015 becomes the new normal for ADB, then for sure. But before 2015, he wouldn't have been in my top 5. Many of his years in Seattle he wasn't even the best WR on the team.

Also, his massive improvement after the team went spread heavy suggests that he is not the same caliber of matchup threat that some of his predecessors were.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Too soon. ADB is just about exactly half of Brian Blades, in half the amount of time. And D-Jack did it as well, for longer, too.

Doug may be about to go to the next level and surpass those two guys. But for now he's a step back of them for lack of longevity.
    KillerB
    NET Starter

• DJack let me down way too many times for me to consider him on any all time list. I swear that in 2004, him and KRob had a contest going to see how may big passes they could drop.

The fact that one can't really make too much of an argument to counter the OP is a good demonstration of the fact that outside of Steve Largent, this franchise has been woefully deficient in terms of quality wide receivers.

Next to Largent, how many Seahawk WR's have been voted onto a Pro Bowl team?
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• RiverDog wrote:DJack let me down way too many times for me to consider him on any all time list. I swear that in 2004, him and KRob had a contest going to see how may big passes they could drop.

The fact that one can't really make too much of an argument to counter the OP is a good demonstration of the fact that outside of Steve Largent, this franchise has been woefully deficient in terms of quality wide receivers.

Blades, Galloway, I think,.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:DJack let me down way too many times for me to consider him on any all time list. I swear that in 2004, him and KRob had a contest going to see how may big passes they could drop.

Bannister!! Hahaha.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Year of The Hawk wrote:
    BullHawk33 wrote:Doug is a receiver that just brings his hard hat, his lunch pail and just gets to work, blue collar receiver. There isn't much not to like about Doug. There are receivers that did it for longer, for more yards, but I'm sure Doug will be in the conversation if he keeps going. Longevity has to do a lot more with this than most rankings.

I think you forgot the sarcasm note on that last part. At least I hope you did....

I actually thought about that and decided I would leave the note off just so that I would resonate with those that get it and confound the others!
    BullHawk33
    NET Starter

• Speaking of Doug, he posted 12 photos on his FB page today. There was one photo of a German Shepherd in an 89 jersey. The dog looked pissed, so I commented "Angry Dog Baldwin". I got a 'like' from Doug on that one.
    :laugh:
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• He's no Logan Payne
    Smoke
    NET Veteran

• Smoke wrote:He's no Logan Payne

You're no Jerheme Urban either.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Smoke wrote:He's no Logan Payne

'Fess up, you had to look Urban's name up, didn't you? :laugh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• sutz wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Smoke wrote:He's no Logan Payne

'Fess up, you had to look Urban's name up, didn't you? :laugh:

For the spelling, absolutely! But I knew there was a H in there somewhere haha.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• chris98251 wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:DJack let me down way too many times for me to consider him on any all time list. I swear that in 2004, him and KRob had a contest going to see how may big passes they could drop.

You're right about Blades. He made the Pro Bowl in 1989. But I could find no such PB appearances for Galloway.

So in summary, in our nearly 40 year existence, we've had just two Pro Bowl wide receivers and haven't had a single one in the past 25 years.

I'd say that's a pretty stark deficiency.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• RiverDog wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

You're right about Blades. He made the Pro Bowl in 1989. But I could find no such PB appearances for Galloway.

So in summary, in our nearly 40 year existence, we've had just two Pro Bowl wide receivers and haven't had a single one in the past 25 years.

Galloway might have went as a returner that year, been a while and being lazy.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Terrell Owen's was better.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Aros wrote:And he has one heck of a mentor in Largent80.

I do what I can.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• chris98251 wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Galloway might have went as a returner that year, been a while and being lazy.

I did a little more extensive research and determined that Galloway never made a Pro Bowl in his 17 year NFL career even though he had some seasons that were definitely Pro Bowl worthy.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• I'd say he's number 3 right now behind Largent and Blades but if he keeps balling like he did in 2015 he will probably surpass Blades along the way.
    Overseasfan
    NET Veteran

• I'd take Blades, Galloway, and DJack over him.
    nash72
    NET Veteran

• nash72 wrote:I'd take Blades, Galloway, and DJack over him.

I think pretty much anybody who paid attention would take Galloway in his prime over Doug. A healthy, unselfish Galloway in an efficient offense would likely be more comparable to Antonio Brown than DB (yes, I do think he had that kind of potential). But as it stands, next year Doug is likely to surpass Joey in catches, yards and possibly TDs as a Seahawk. So yeah, I think overall Galloway was a more talented player than Doug, but I don't think he was a better WR for the Seahawks.

Blades was the best WR out of a bunch of poor WR groups on a lot of pretty $h!t Seahawks offenses. I don't know if he was hurt by that or if he benefited (statistically) from it (if that even makes any sense). Maybe it's the fact that he was never the play maker I wanted him to be or because he was left with the impossible task of trying to replace Steve Largent, but I just never felt like Blades was really all that good. He should have never been more than a #2 in the League IMO. But he played a roll and he was pretty reliable for a lot of years for us so I'll always appreciate that and have a soft spot for him. But I don't see anyway he'd beat out DB for a spot on this roster.

DJack I think is the best comparison. Not necessarily a true #1 trying fill the roll of a #1 and doing a better than expected job of it. And definitely a play maker like Doug. I just think Doug beats him out because of his reliability and his ability to bail Russell out so frequently (with the toe tappers and breaking off routes during scrambles and such).

But overall I can totally see arguments for each of them being 2nd best all time. I just think it's Doug. We'll (hopefully) know for sure in a couple of years.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Bobby Ingram gets now love, he was one of the toughest and most reliable guys we have had here.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Bobby Ingram gets now love, he was one of the toughest and most reliable guys we have had here.

Loved Bobby. He was easily the best and most consistent of the "three amigos". He would probably be 3 or 4 on my list.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• sorry but no... just no.

its galloway at #2

4.1-4.2 speed. receiver that always demanded a double team, teams would gameplan in stopping him. dude just ran by everyone with ease. occasionally dropped an easy pass, but was no kearse/k-rob. punt/kick returner extraordinaire. a game-breaker.

how quickly they forget
    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1995/n ... -dramatic/

(note: mute the music)
    seatownlowdown
    NET Rookie

• Too bad while here he was all about himself.

If he were here now and held out everyone would be screaming trade him and show him the door just like they did then, and the Cowboys happily took him off our hands.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Like I said, Galloway had Antonio Brown level potential, but he was kind of ahead of his time. He would be killer in today's NFL. But it took a couple injuries and being moved around a bit to get him to realize the game was bigger than him. Once he got his head right he turned into the player I'd always wanted him to be, it's just too bad it didn't happen till Tampa. Tampa Galloway brain in Seattle Galloway body and maybe we're discussing who's the best instead of who's the second best. My opinion.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Wish we could have had Joe Jurevicius for more than 1 year
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• I'd rank DB 3rd behind Sam McCallum,I know a lot of you never saw him play and he was in Steve's shadow but the guy was good and got better every year he played.The problem is there was an average QB and little running game to open things up.The year he injured his neck/spine that really hurt the Hawks and it was the end for him as a player but I never forgot how good he was.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• seahawkfreak wrote:Wish we could have had Joe Jurevicius for more than 1 year

Copy that! JJ was a Jimmy Graham that could block like a bulldozer. Between him and Jeremy Stevens, they created some really favorable matchups, especially in the red zone.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• He has an argument as one of the best in franchise history. However, after witnessing what Lockett accomplished as a rookie, I'm not so sure Doug will even be considered the best WR on his own team a year from now. That's a good thing too because it should open up even more opportunities for him. These two will push each other every day to be great.
    hawknation2016
    NET Veteran

• seatownlowdown wrote:sorry but no... just no.

its galloway at #2

4.1-4.2 speed. receiver that always demanded a double team, teams would gameplan in stopping him. dude just ran by everyone with ease. occasionally dropped an easy pass, but was no kearse/k-rob. punt/kick returner extraordinaire. a game-breaker.

how quickly they forget
    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1995/n ... -dramatic/

(note: mute the music)

Agreed about Galloway, I'd put him at #2 as well. He was a stud. The other thing to note was that he didn't play for a quarterback that could get him the ball on a consistent basis.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• not saying, just saying...
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Next

It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:15 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information