Doug Baldwin is this team's 2nd best all time WR

kearly

Reaction score
If 2015 becomes the new normal for ADB, then for sure. But before 2015, he wouldn't have been in my top 5. Many of his years in Seattle he wasn't even the best WR on the team.

Also, his massive improvement after the team went spread heavy suggests that he is not the same caliber of matchup threat that some of his predecessors were.

KillerB

Reaction score
Too soon. ADB is just about exactly half of Brian Blades, in half the amount of time. And D-Jack did it as well, for longer, too.

Doug may be about to go to the next level and surpass those two guys. But for now he's a step back of them for lack of longevity.

RiverDog

Reaction score
DJack let me down way too many times for me to consider him on any all time list. I swear that in 2004, him and KRob had a contest going to see how may big passes they could drop.

The fact that one can't really make too much of an argument to counter the OP is a good demonstration of the fact that outside of Steve Largent, this franchise has been woefully deficient in terms of quality wide receivers.

Next to Largent, how many Seahawk WR's have been voted onto a Pro Bowl team?

chris98251

Reaction score
RiverDog":3axxp6u4 said:
DJack let me down way too many times for me to consider him on any all time list. I swear that in 2004, him and KRob had a contest going to see how may big passes they could drop.

The fact that one can't really make too much of an argument to counter the OP is a good demonstration of the fact that outside of Steve Largent, this franchise has been woefully deficient in terms of quality wide receivers.

Blades, Galloway, I think,.

OP
OP
Z

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
chris98251":1eh8l56f said:
RiverDog":1eh8l56f said:

Bannister!! Hahaha.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":31slyu1i said:
BullHawk33":31slyu1i said:
Doug is a receiver that just brings his hard hat, his lunch pail and just gets to work, blue collar receiver. There isn't much not to like about Doug. There are receivers that did it for longer, for more yards, but I'm sure Doug will be in the conversation if he keeps going. Longevity has to do a lot more with this than most rankings.

Just look at Joey Gallaway, 5 years, more yards. Now if only we had a QB that could actually throw and see over his line, Doug might have that metric down.

I think you forgot the sarcasm note on that last part. At least I hope you did....

I actually thought about that and decided I would leave the note off just so that I would resonate with those that get it and confound the others!

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Speaking of Doug, he posted 12 photos on his FB page today. There was one photo of a German Shepherd in an 89 jersey. The dog looked pissed, so I commented "Angry Dog Baldwin". I got a 'like' from Doug on that one.
:laugh:

RiverDog

Reaction score
chris98251":1jk81zaz said:
RiverDog":1jk81zaz said:

You're right about Blades. He made the Pro Bowl in 1989. But I could find no such PB appearances for Galloway.

So in summary, in our nearly 40 year existence, we've had just two Pro Bowl wide receivers and haven't had a single one in the past 25 years.

I'd say that's a pretty stark deficiency.

chris98251

Reaction score
RiverDog":3cu5d1uv said:
chris98251":3cu5d1uv said:
RiverDog":3cu5d1uv said:

You're right about Blades. He made the Pro Bowl in 1989. But I could find no such PB appearances for Galloway.

So in summary, in our nearly 40 year existence, we've had just two Pro Bowl wide receivers and haven't had a single one in the past 25 years.

Galloway might have went as a returner that year, been a while and being lazy.

RiverDog

Reaction score
chris98251":3nzshnin said:
RiverDog":3nzshnin said:
chris98251":3nzshnin said:
RiverDog":3nzshnin said:

Galloway might have went as a returner that year, been a while and being lazy.

I did a little more extensive research and determined that Galloway never made a Pro Bowl in his 17 year NFL career even though he had some seasons that were definitely Pro Bowl worthy.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I'd say he's number 3 right now behind Largent and Blades but if he keeps balling like he did in 2015 he will probably surpass Blades along the way.

nash72

Reaction score
I'd take Blades, Galloway, and DJack over him.

OP
OP
Z

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
nash72":kflxj3m1 said:
I'd take Blades, Galloway, and DJack over him.

I think pretty much anybody who paid attention would take Galloway in his prime over Doug. A healthy, unselfish Galloway in an efficient offense would likely be more comparable to Antonio Brown than DB (yes, I do think he had that kind of potential). But as it stands, next year Doug is likely to surpass Joey in catches, yards and possibly TDs as a Seahawk. So yeah, I think overall Galloway was a more talented player than Doug, but I don't think he was a better WR for the Seahawks.

Blades was the best WR out of a bunch of poor WR groups on a lot of pretty shitty Seahawks offenses. I don't know if he was hurt by that or if he benefited (statistically) from it (if that even makes any sense). Maybe it's the fact that he was never the play maker I wanted him to be or because he was left with the impossible task of trying to replace Steve Largent, but I just never felt like Blades was really all that good. He should have never been more than a #2 in the League IMO. But he played a roll and he was pretty reliable for a lot of years for us so I'll always appreciate that and have a soft spot for him. But I don't see anyway he'd beat out DB for a spot on this roster.

DJack I think is the best comparison. Not necessarily a true #1 trying fill the roll of a #1 and doing a better than expected job of it. And definitely a play maker like Doug. I just think Doug beats him out because of his reliability and his ability to bail Russell out so frequently (with the toe tappers and breaking off routes during scrambles and such).

But overall I can totally see arguments for each of them being 2nd best all time. I just think it's Doug. We'll (hopefully) know for sure in a couple of years.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bobby Ingram gets now love, he was one of the toughest and most reliable guys we have had here.