Converting WRS to DBS an option?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Just an idea I've been thinking of recently, and was wondering what some of you out there thought of it. Should our coaching staff consider trying to convert a couple wide receivers that we can pick up with a late round pick or as an UDFA into defensive backs, preferably corner?

Tom cable has tried converting d linemen over to the offensive line recently as you all know with mixed results. Sweezy could get some higher market value at guard in free agency, and has done an alright job at right guard. What I'm trying to say it coach Carroll and Co try different things that other teams usually stay away from, so trying to convert a wide out to corner would fit in the scheme of things.

Also, richard Sherman was a converted wide receiver turned corner, and his ability to disect plays pre snap and stay a step ahead of his opposing receiver has given him a great advantage allowing him to become one of the league's premier corners. His high football iq, as well as being able to read a receivers routes based on his pre snap stance and hip movement is key to shutting down his opponent.

We've been looking for another shut down corner opposite Sherman for awhile now. Browner and maxwell were good during their time here. With a stable of players waiting to take that job this season with shead, tye smith, Simon and others, I like all of them possibly taking the job. But could having another tall, physical talent opposite Sherman with receiver experience give our defense another advantage? And who better to take those players under his wing than Sherman himself?

Let me know what you guys think. Go hawks!

Jville

Reaction score
That conversion program already exists.

George Farmer and Stanley Jean-Baptiste Stanley are two conversion projects already on board.

Basis4day

Reaction score
They've tried it in a limited extent with Douglas McNeil.

Personally i don't think it's necessary. The FO hasn't had a difficult time finding young players that can play CB in this system. If they are allowed to develop for a few years most are very serviceable. The only thing that really derails the young CBs is injuries rather than talent.

drrew

Reaction score
Has to be the right guy, and it doesn't appear that they come along very often.

There was a plan in place to sign as an UDFA and convert Brice Butler in '13 but he was unexpectedly picked up by Oakland in the 7th round of the draft that year.

Jville

Reaction score
I suppose Trovon Reed should also be added to the list. He was converted from receiver to cornerback for his senior (2014) year.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think ops point is those mentioned so far transitioned in college. I think it's an interesting question to ask whether a quick, tall and rangy WR with catching issues already in the NFL or current draft could do a decent job at CB. How long would it take to learn?

firebee

Reaction score
It can be done, but it doesn't happen very often. IMO... CB is one of the hardest positions to play and requires an incredible amount of discipline vs. playing WR.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Basis4day":1cmpa8o0 said:

Personally i don't think it's necessary. The FO hasn't had a difficult time finding young players that can play CB in this system. If they are allowed to develop for a few years most are very serviceable. The only thing that really derails the young CBs is injuries rather than talent.

Your probably right, however, I think it is a service to the player that if by some small chance works out is also a benefit to the Hawks. It gives a athletic player who maybe on the cusp another avenue to make it in a different position. If it's not hurting the team as far as roster spots, I don't see a problem.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Bobblehead":m55d3ub8 said:
Basis4day":m55d3ub8 said:

Your probably right, however, I think it is a service to the player that if by some small chance works out is also a benefit to the Hawks. It gives a athletic player who maybe on the cusp another avenue to make it in a different position. If it's not hurting the team as far as roster spots, I don't see a problem.

If the player's best chance at making a team is a position switch then the player should absolutely should be open to it.

CBs and DBs in general are the position i am least worried about finding players that can grow in the scheme. In other words, they don't need to be creative in finding players like they do for the O-Line.

Only thing holding young CBs back is health.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Jville":36ln004i said:

George Farmer and Stanley Jean-Baptiste Stanley are two conversion projects already on board.

Jean-Baptiste isn't a conversion project.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Sherman is a tough example. He was excelling at Stanford as the top receiver his rookie and sophomore years before getting injured and going against Harbaughs wishes decided to red shirt his junior year to have surgery. Harbaugh blackballed him from that point forward. It was Sherman's request to the DC to switch to defense because Harbaugh had moved him to the bottom of the playing list behind even the walk on's.

Point being Sherman would probably be an elite NFL receiver right now if not for Harbaugh. He has displayed not just the intelligence but the work ethic and motivation to excel at any position. Assuming we could convert a failed WR project really isn't in line with why Sherman has been successful.

Not saying it can't work but it is much more likely to be a fringe player rather than an elite one.

Basis4day

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2s0pqxi3 said:
Jville":2s0pqxi3 said:

Jean-Baptiste isn't a conversion project.

He is if you're talking players who made the switch in college. Though he never saw meaningful snaps at WR for Nebraska.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I forgot to mention in my op the whole reason I got to thinking about this. Yesterday I was watching the post combine show or whatever you want to call it on nfl network, and they had Charles Davis talking on there about the defensive backs group coming up today.

He basically said that he feels defensive backs aren't as talented coming out of college these days because of the spread offense. I'm not totally sure what he means by that, because you'd think the spread offense would allow the more talented d backs to display their skills with more one on one match ups. I still can't really wrap my head around how playing against a spread opposed to a pro style offense limits or diminishes a corners talent level.

Anyways, Charles davis' comments sort of compared to Tom cables comments about how he doesn't like the way offensive linemen are being coached in college today, so he was looking at the more physically talented and more aggressive defensive linemen for his zone blocking scheme. The results are in, and the o line is the weak link on the team right now. With his pet project of sweezy, yes he was a good run blocker in the scheme, but pass protection across the board was very bad. But that's a whole other discussion.

Your guy's comments are appreciated. I enjoy reading other people's perspective on things.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Trouble is, Hawks got spoiled when some WR named SHerman, was somewhat turned.`

Narniaman

Reaction score
Forget about converting a college wide receiver to db.

Go get some college basketball players. . . like the Cowboys did in the 60's with a fellow named Cornell Green who was an all-American basketball player two years at Utah State, but had not played football since high school. He was drafted by the NBA, but the Cowboys signed him for $1000 -- and convinced him to try out for the team.

He not only made the team, but was starting at defensive back for three games his first year, and made the all-Rookie team. By the time he retired 13 years later he had been named all-Pro four years and went to five pro-bowls.

If Tom Landry could do that, no reason Pete shouldn't be able to do the same thing. . . .

chris98251

Reaction score
Narniaman":29mor8kq said:

Go get some college basketball players. . . like the Cowboys did in the 60's with a fellow named Cornell Green who was an all-American basketball player two years at Utah State, but had not played football since high school. He was drafted by the NBA, but the Cowboys signed him for $1000 -- and convinced him to try out for the team.

He not only made the team, but was starting at defensive back for three games his first year, and made the all-Rookie team. By the time he retired 13 years later he had been named all-Pro four years and went to five pro-bowls.

If Tom Landry could do that, no reason Pete shouldn't be able to do the same thing. . . .

Umm Sherman was a WR that converted? Don't know why there is a doubt about being able to do this. Landry was a defensive genius also.

Narniaman

Reaction score
chris98251":23omnnln said:
Narniaman":23omnnln said:

Umm Sherman was a WR that converted? Don't know why there is a doubt about being able to do this. Landry was a defensive genius also.

Thinking about this. . . .after the Cowboy's conversion project success, you would think that there must have been other attempts at taking basketball players -- and/or wide receivers -- and converting them to defensive players.

I can think of two others. . .both quarterbacks, however -- who made the switch.

One was Bill Bradley -- no, not the basketball player/politician -- but the fellow who played quarterback at the University of Texas in the mid-60's, lost his job to James Street in college, was switched to defensive back, and later was all-pro for the Philadelphia Eagles. He also played semi-pro baseball.

The other was Rex Kern -- the Ohio State qb who was also quite a talented athlete, also having scholarship offers to play basketball from schools including UCLA, who was coached by John Wooden. Kern started out also playing basketball at Ohio State, but suffered a back injury as a freshman that ended his basketball career. However, he did start at qb for Ohio State, starting as a sophomore. Kern was drafted by the Baltimore Colts as a defensive back. . .but only lasted about two years before sidelined by injuries. He later earned a PhD in education.

kearly

Reaction score
I think it's interesting that-

Seattle converts JR Sweezy from DT to guard which yields a decent player. Result: Seattle repeats this experiment many many times over the following three years.

Richard Sherman converts from WR to CB in college and turns into one of the best CBs in the game. Result: Seattle barely even looks at WR to CB conversion projects.

The situations are a little different, but still it's pretty surprising how much the FO has been swayed by the Sweezy conversion vs. how little they were swayed by the Sherman conversion. You'd think it would be the other way around, with Seattle acquiring 1-2 WR a year just to convert to CB, while chalking up Sweezy as a fluke.