Converting WRS to DBS an option?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":13hu0d9e said:
I think it's interesting that-

Seattle converts JR Sweezy from DT to guard which yields a decent player. Result: Seattle repeats this experiment many many times over the following three years.

Richard Sherman converts from WR to CB in college and turns into one of the best CBs in the game. Result: Seattle barely even looks at WR to CB conversion projects.

The situations are a little different, but still it's pretty surprising how much the FO has been swayed by the Sweezy conversion vs. how little they were swayed by the Sherman conversion. You'd think it would be the other way around, with Seattle acquiring 1-2 WR a year just to convert to CB, while chalking up Sweezy as a fluke.

I think you have to consider motivation.

In this case, Seattle is reacting largely to the lack of athleticism to be found in the OL classes. Thus seeking a different avenue in order to acquire the athletic types they want for the position.

In terms of CBs, there hasn't been that same kind of shortage of talents to work with.

Additionally, the lack of general preparedness faced with OL prospects coming out of college doesn't place as high of a premium in terms of skill set as a rookie. If you're having to start largely from zero on day one of rookie minicamp -- then there is less inherent advantage to drafting a college offensive lineman. You're probably better off finding a guy who athletically can do what you want and someone who can learn quickly. As opposed to getting a mediocre athlete who has severely underdeveloped skills and even worse -- acquired bad habits.

I think there are differences between the supply of talents coming out at each position group that would impact decision making in this regard.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
kearly":1qcys5i0 said:
I think it's interesting that-

Seattle converts JR Sweezy from DT to guard which yields a decent player. Result: Seattle repeats this experiment many many times over the following three years.

Richard Sherman converts from WR to CB in college and turns into one of the best CBs in the game. Result: Seattle barely even looks at WR to CB conversion projects.

The situations are a little different, but still it's pretty surprising how much the FO has been swayed by the Sweezy conversion vs. how little they were swayed by the Sherman conversion. You'd think it would be the other way around, with Seattle acquiring 1-2 WR a year just to convert to CB, while chalking up Sweezy as a fluke.

One thing that might set Sherman apart a bit is that Carroll was familiar with him as a two-way prospect in high school and specifically tried to recruit him to play cornerback at USC. And though still raw, by the time he graduated Stanford, he did play two full seasons at cornerback.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2dd6g8qo said:
Seattle is reacting largely to the lack of athleticism to be found in the OL classes.
It's not athleticism that's lacking in college O-linemen, it's knowledge and technique and instincts. Athleticism is actually the only thing going for many of them, from the Seahawks' perspective. Much of that is due to they type of offenses being run in college, and consequently what O-linemen are not required to do.

Sweezy showed tenacity and relentlessness (nastiness?) as a collegiate D-lineman, and Cable figured he could work with that and teach him the knowledge and skills to be a guard. Cable believed it would be preferable to do it that way than take someone with O-line experience but without Sweezy's inner drive, and still have to teach him the knowledge and skills needed to be an NFL lineman that weren't accomplished in college.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Troy Brown did a good job with the New England Patriots.

And like mentioned above, there is the motivation of Tom Cable vs whoever our DB coaches are and how much influence they wield. But it is supposed to be Pete's area of expertise.

And to add to that intrigue, he wants Earl Thomas to learn why an offense is doing what they are doing, and for Russell Wilson to learn the game from the defensive side.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Jerhawk brings up a good question....I do want to see what Farmer and McNeil can do with another offseason of OTA's and training camp can do for them.... Sherman didn't play his first year with us. Could be something there if Jeremy Lane leaves.

I also think Jean Baptiste has potential as a Safety rather than CB. Maybe replace Kam???

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Chawks1":kikxjc84 said:
Jerhawk brings up a good question....I do want to see what Farmer and McNeil can do with another offseason of OTA's and training camp can do for them.... Sherman didn't play his first year with us. Could be something there if Jeremy Lane leaves.

I also think Jean Baptiste has potential as a Safety rather than CB. Maybe replace Kam???

Sherman was the 4th string corner his rookie season but became the starter halfway through the season due to injuries. He played at an elite level from his first snap.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I guess there's no harm in trying it with a WR who won't make it as a WR, but Sherman had multiple seasons in college to make his transition.

I'm not sure i'd want to try it on anyone but an UDFA that could work on the PS a couple seasons.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Didn't Edelman end up playing DB for the Pats the other year after they were hit by injuries? Don't think he got any picks, but it would seem the process is at least achievable for someone who has already finished college.