A feel for the Old Time Seahawks

Vetamur

Reaction score
Someone can fix the link for me, if they dont mind.

Went looking for a "typical" game from the past tonight and found this one. A 1980 match up of the Seahawks vs. Raiders. Quite a bit to see in the game thats interesting.. if you didnt get to see Zorn and Largent play and youre wondering what all the fuss is about, especially Zorn since his stats dont tell the tale..take some time and watch it. Other interesting things.. Dr. Dan starts at FB..Jim Jodat is the RB, they traded for him that year when Sherman Smith went down to injury.. underrated WR from Seattles past is in the game, Sam McCullum..they got rid of him later as part of the labor dispute..though they deny that was why.

The increasingly near legendary Seahawks announcer Steve Raible is the Seahawks 3rd receiver.

On the Raiders side check out Matt Millen as a rookie inside linebacker..decades before becoming an infamous GM of the Lions. Theres also The Stork, Ted Hendricks at OLB.. Jim Plunkett, the original reclamation project QB. Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes are the Raider CBs and arguably the best pair of CBs ever to play together.

And of course, Howard Cosell does the announcing. As a kid I didnt like him..I appreciate him now.

[youtube]IF1PQiQKY9M[/youtube]

[youtube]5i20xtan3dA[/youtube]

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Vetamur":kg7ome7c said:
Someone can fix the link for me, if they dont mind.

Went looking for a "typical" game from the past tonight and found this one. A 1980 match up of the Seahawks vs. Raiders. Quite a bit to see in the game thats interesting.. if you didnt get to see Zorn and Largent play and youre wondering what all the fuss is about, especially Zorn since his stats dont tell the tale..take some time and watch it. Other interesting things.. Dr. Dan starts at FB..Jim Jodat is the RB, they traded for him that year when Sherman Smith went down to injury.. underrated WR from Seattles past is in the game, Sam McCullum..they got rid of him later as part of the labor dispute..though they deny that was why.

The increasingly near legendary Seahawks announcer Steve Raible is the Seahawks 3rd receiver.

On the Raiders side check out Matt Millen as a rookie inside linebacker..decades before becoming an infamous GM of the Lions. Theres also The Stork, Ted Hendricks at OLB.. Jim Plunkett, the original reclamation project QB. Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes are the Raider CBs and arguably the best pair of CBs ever to play together.

And of course, Howard Cosell does the announcing. As a kid I didnt like him..I appreciate him now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF1PQiQKY9M
[youtube]IF1PQiQKY9M[/youtube]

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

I enjoy watching vintage seahawks action. This was before I was even born lol

TalontedNoseRider

Reaction score
Banner in crowd reads "Hey Howard, who is # 17 and where is Milton College?"

Classic!

Rainbow man sighting for extra points, thanks for sharing.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Raibs had a tough first half. Penalties killed them. And Ray Guy definitely deserved his HoF admission.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Went 0-8 at home that year. 4-4 on the road. After back to back 9-7 seasons expectations were on the rise and came crashing down quickly.

OP
OP
V

Vetamur

Reaction score
The commentary is pretty interesting..football was in transition. They keep talking about this new formation Seattle is using with FOUR! wide outs.. and they arent exaggerating, the Raiders in the first half had to use a time out because Seattle had 4 WRs on the field.. Interesting that they usually countered it by blitzing 2 LBs..

Also.. compare it to today when so few commentators will really give it to you straight..its awesome to hear Cosell just berate Plunkett for being too tentative.. nothing is sugar coated, its just observed and said.. Man, its like time travelling.

OP
OP
V

Vetamur

Reaction score
Forgot to add.. for those who have heard about the early Seahawk razzle dazzle plays..tons of fake punts, etc.. watch the first half of the game at the 1:12:00 mark.. a pass to the KICKER, Efren Herrerra!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":700zuyb3 said:
Went 0-8 at home that year. 4-4 on the road. After back to back 9-7 seasons expectations were on the rise and came crashing down quickly.
This is why I forgot all about that season among others.Best move we did is going back to NFC

A

Anonymous

I watched this game live, from the 300 level.

My first ever NFL game, second game in the King Dome. The first, was watching my high-school, the Burlington-Edison Tigers, win the AA state championship. Interestingly, it was the first time our team played on astro turf.

The loss sucked, but Monday Night Football was awesome.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1rttof3s said:
We should really go back to those uniforms....
No. As much as I loved those uniforms then, they really are dated. I'd love to see them as throwbacks, especially if we're playing the Raiders of the Chiefs -- but other than that, I love the new uniforms.

A

Anonymous

fenderbender123":3cy5i23f said:
We should really go back to those uniforms....

81 through 01, maybe, but not the striped socks and sleeves.

I liked the brighter blue though.

OP
OP
V

Vetamur

Reaction score
I loved those uniforms and its been hard to like others..but the ones now are cool.

For the old school ones I actually like the away whites..

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good find. Man, it's weird, watching those opening graphics and listening to the music, that brought back a LOT of memories. Funny, it takes something like that to start remembering stuff.