Boykin Update (Agrees to Reduced Charges per Agent)

Basis4day

Reaction score
Shouldn't change too much on the team's feelings towards him because they incident itself was well known and official charges were pending.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Basis4day":3c2t0b6o said:
Shouldn't change too much on the team's feelings towards him because they incident itself was well known and official charges were pending.

It won't change the teams opinion of Boykin, the player, but it can force them to make a decision they'd rather not. The article says he could get up to 1 year in jail (which I doubt he'll get the maximum penalty but it is possible). Even if he serves no jail time there is still the possibility that Goodell will suspend him for some amount of games if found guilty.

So if Boykin misses games do you keep him on the team and risk having no backup QB for those games or do you have to carry a 3rd QB taking up a valuable roster spot or do you release him and hope no one picks him up and you can get him back when he's eligible to play?

Basis4day

Reaction score
DJrmb":ur7w50vk said:
Basis4day":ur7w50vk said:

It won't change the teams opinion of Boykin, the player, but it can force them to make a decision they'd rather not. The article says he could get up to 1 year in jail (which I doubt he'll get the maximum penalty but it is possible). Even if he serves no jail time there is still the possibility that Goodell will suspend him for some amount of games if found guilty.

So if Boykin misses games do you keep him on the team and risk having no backup QB for those games or do you have to carry a 3rd QB taking up a valuable roster spot or do you release him and hope no one picks him up and you can get him back when he's eligible to play?

First thing i'd expect them to do is get in touch with Boykin and his atty and see prospects of a plea deal to get resolution sooner. I'd expect Boykin to be open to that if he wants to increase his chances of making the team.

As far as any suspension. You never know with Goodell. Is there precedence with him suspending a player over conduct that happened before he was even in the league?

Assuming for a second he is suspended he woudn't take up a roster spot. He'd be on the reserve/suspended list. Assuming the Seahawks retain him on cut-downs they would keep his rights.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Basis4day":84n8n3ev said:
DJrmb":84n8n3ev said:
Basis4day":84n8n3ev said:

First thing i'd expect them to do is get in touch with Boykin and his atty and see prospects of a plea deal to get resolution sooner. I'd expect Boykin to be open to that if he wants to increase his chances of making the team.

As far as any suspension. You never know with Goodell. Is there precedence with him suspending a player over conduct that happened before he was even in the league?

Assuming for a second he is suspended he woudn't take up a roster spot. He'd be on the reserve/suspended list. Assuming the Seahawks retain him on cut-downs they would keep his rights.

That's good to hear that we'd hold his rights if he gets suspended.

As for Goodell, you never really do know with him. He seems to make completely different decisions depending on the day and his mood... It's a bit different of a situation but Goodell did suspend Terrelle Pryor 5 games his rookie year for the whole making money off his signature thing and I thought at the time he had made a statement that he would hold incoming college players responsible for their actions even if they happened in college, if he deemed they damaged the integrity or the reputation of the NFL. I haven't been able to locate that exact statement though so maybe I'm mixing up two different things...

Anyway I think the biggest fear in this case with Boykin is if the judge decides to make him spend a few months in jail. I hope Boykin has been making steps toward showing that he made a mistake and is not actually a "bad guy" and can present a better image to the judge.

Basis4day

Reaction score
DJrmb":2zj07p3v said:
Basis4day":2zj07p3v said:
Looks like i might be close:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/747920506582556676[/tweet]

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... -incident/

That is great news. Hopefully he learned a lesson as well and doesn't repeat his same mistake going forward. Thanks for the update!

Sure, no problem.

IIRC with Pryor it helped to combat the image that he'd entered the supplemental draft to avoid repercussions at OSU.

With Boykin, he went undrafted and as a result has a very low salary for a couple years.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I hear mixed stuff about him so far. John Clayton raving about him, other media people not so much. I think he'll be in the team post preseason but I still think it will be in the practise squad as a developmental qb similar to Bj Daniels and the team goes with a more experienced backup. I think at this point pete and john would prefer a known quantity at back up to win a game or 2. Thought it would have been t jack but he blew it. Money is on EJ Manuel after the Bills cut him even if I dont think he is great, most back ups arent and if Wilson gets hurt the season is most likely over anyway.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I read that players who have substance abuse problems in college, "matriculate" in to the substance abuse program in the NFL and can be in the NFL's program before they ever play a down in the NFL.

Boykin's troubles stem from substance abuse, so I'd say that he will be in warning status, not suspension or anything like that.

IIRC, Brandon Browner came in to the league in the program because of violations in college. Probably why teams weren't too "high" on keeping him around initially.

SaskHawk

Reaction score
Don't know if this case would be enough if he were to be suspended, but am guessing these situations can likely lead to court challenges and I'm guessing the league would lose. Seems the league would be over stepping it's bounds by suspending a player for an incident well before he is drafted let alone entering the league as a drafted or signed player? I would think a judge would overturn the league's suspension on the basis that the kid has not been drafted nor signed and thus the league has no jurisdiction over the player at the time. The guy was already suspended for a bowl game, think he has paid his price as far as playing the game of football is concerned, to society, that maybe a different story and is for a judge to decide.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Whitehurst better blow the dust off that clipboard and get that arm loose for some pre season action just in case.

crosfam

Reaction score
If he hadn't gotten into trouble, he would have played in the Alamo Bowl, and been a 3rd-4th rd. draft choice. I think the loss of a million $ or so is enough "league punishment". Might warrant a "warning letter" from the league to avoid further trouble. If he gets in another bar-fight/disturbance type situation anytime soon I wouldn't be surprised if we cut him. It seems like this is just the formalization of the plea deal anyway, no new news. I bet he apologizes, gets probation and community service. Hopefully he stays out of bars, etc. in the future, nothing but trouble for somebody in his position.

Geologic

Reaction score
I read the topic title as "Agrees to reduced contract per agent" then I read the article. :oops:

Geologic

Reaction score
crosfam":3vv7mkb3 said:
If he gets in another bar-fight/disturbance type situation anytime soon I wouldn't be surprised if we cut him.

No question PC/JS cuts him if he get's in trouble again. But I am up for second chances and I think/hope he learned his lesson.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
DJrmb":1hs0w8dn said:
Basis4day":1hs0w8dn said:

I am not sure Goodell can do anything as the incident happened before he was in the league.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
Can't believe such a great athlete can be treated like garbage,my BSmeter is going crazy.I'm with you Trevone !!!

rjdriver

Reaction score
v1rotv2":2agtwqge said:
DJrmb":2agtwqge said:
Basis4day":2agtwqge said:

I am not sure Goodell can do anything as the incident happened before he was in the league.

This.

I don't know the details of the CBA, but an employer can't levy retribution for anything you did while you weren't employed with them. The punishment, if you will, was not being selected in the NFL draft. I would venture that it would be illegal for King Roger to take action.