Big O.line

triggs1957

Reaction score
After watching the live training camp I did see one thing I liked.The O line is one of the largest we have had in a long time.
It may take a while to get the pass protection down but as big as the O.L is our running backs are going to have some huge holes to run through.

dogorama

Reaction score
The O-Line averages a smidge below 6'6" and 320lbs. They also score high in athleticism at the combine. We all know Cable is renowned for teaching run blocking but they need to pass block also in this era of great pass rushers. Last year's "experiments" were an epic failure, if that happens again this year the admin. is going to have some real egg on their face.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Overly athletic OL can get themselves out of position quicker. Last season I saw guys so worried about getting to their second level assignments that they often wiffed on their first block. I'd rather have big strong intelligent linemen any day.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
So can a big, athletic OL actually provide pass pro? That's the most important question for me. I believe Cable will have them run-blocking well as we see every year. But if RW gets killed, I won't be happy. Our big guys better learn to keep their bulk between the DL and Russ.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1vv50h5a said:
So can a big, athletic OL actually provide pass pro? That's the most important question for me. I believe Cable will have them run-blocking well as we see every year. But if RW gets killed, I won't be happy. Our big guys better learn to keep their bulk between the DL and Russ.

This is why they drafted Vannett and I have a feeling Collins will see some significant playing time on passing downs due directly to pass protection.

I don't believe our O-line was superior in 2012 to what we have now but we had Miller, MRob and Lynch helping out. Not sure if Cottom gets in as the FB but I feel like that is the direction they are trying to go. Those assist guys make a world of difference.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2mh73uwt said:
Ad Hawk":2mh73uwt said:

This is why they drafted Vannett and I have a feeling Collins will see some significant playing time on passing downs due directly to pass protection.

I don't believe our O-line was superior in 2012 to what we have now but we had Miller, MRob and Lynch helping out. Not sure if Cottom gets in as the FB but I feel like that is the direction they are trying to go. Those assist guys make a world of difference.

True, and having even an effective chip-block from a TE or WR can slow down the outside speed rush.

I'll be watching for such help this season, but hope the 5 up-front will begin holding their own against D-lines like LA (feels weird writing that about the Rams...).

dogorama

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":hj87uk26 said:
RichNhansom":hj87uk26 said:
Ad Hawk":hj87uk26 said:

True, and having even an effective chip-block from a TE or WR can slow down the outside speed rush.

I'll be watching for such help this season, but hope the 5 up-front will begin holding their own against D-lines like LA (feels weird writing that about the Rams...).

I was wondering the same thing about Vannett but we would still need to pass to him also or it will telegraph the run play. I have went from cautiously optimistic to very concerned re this OL. If this turns out as bad as last year that will be two straight years wasted because did not pay enough attn to the OL. Given that this team is a Super Bowl team everywhere else on the depth chart AND the fact that SB windows are relatively rare, this could turn out to be a monumental blunder. We'll see...

RichNhansom

Reaction score
dogorama":3q3pzpo9 said:
Ad Hawk":3q3pzpo9 said:
RichNhansom":3q3pzpo9 said:
Ad Hawk":3q3pzpo9 said:

I was wondering the same thing about Vannett but we would still need to pass to him also or it will telegraph the run play. I have went from cautiously optimistic to very concerned re this OL. If this turns out as bad as last year that will be two straight years wasted because did not pay enough attn to the OL. Given that this team is a Super Bowl team everywhere else on the depth chart AND the fact that SB windows are relatively rare, this could turn out to be a monumental blunder. We'll see...

Agreed Dog but if you remember we didn't pass much to Miller either which actually had the opposite effect of telegraphing because the defense kind of forgot he wasn't just another O-lineman.

Here's a thought though, if you have both Cottom (playing FB or H-back) and Vannett acting as your blocking TE, that is two consistent targets that might get forgot about or if the formation is used often enough then telegraphing also won't be a problem.

Possibly a nice 2 TE set.

dogorama

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1v2of65c said:
Agreed Dog but if you remember we didn't pass much to Miller either which actually had the opposite effect of telegraphing because the defense kind of forgot he wasn't just another O-lineman.

Here's a thought though, if you have both Cottom (playing FB or H-back) and Vannett acting as your blocking TE, that is two consistent targets that might get forgot about or if the formation is used often enough then telegraphing also won't be a problem.

Possibly a nice 2 TE set.

That helps but it also sacrifices offensive possibilities considerably when you have to use addl personnel to pass protect. Remember, not only are those offensive players not being utilized, but you also freeing up addl defensive players to defend against the players that are.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I'm not worried about the OL. We will be built to run and have the right OL coach for it.

dogorama

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":1hgdgghs said:
I'm not worried about the OL. We will be built to run and have the right OL coach for it.

If the second half of last season is any indication we are going to pass more. The key to success in the NFL is having the ability to both run and pass to keep oppossing offenses honest.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2qc3k5me said:
Overly athletic OL can get themselves out of position quicker. Last season I saw guys so worried about getting to their second level assignments that they often wiffed on their first block. I'd rather have big strong intelligent linemen any day.
Actually, that's where NOT having Sweezey's influence might help.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
With Cottom able to play TE setting up plays that stack runs or switch to a set where Graham goes slot and Cottom goes TE with a run defense in should cross up a lot of teams, your able to change a lot of looks with the same personal in and screw up a defense in to stop specific types of plays.