Pope vs Rawls Preseason Stats

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
I'm sure that by the time I finish writing this that Pope will be cut and this post will be a moot point, but I have to say that I'm a huge fan of Pope after this preseason. Last year at this time, I distinctly remember being surprised that we kept Rawls over CMike and Turbin (who was injured at the time). To be honest, I wasn't horribly impressed with Rawls in the preseason and I've never been so happy to be wrong. I still believe Pope might be another diamond in the rough so I decided to do a quick preseason stat comparison between the two.

Rawls 2015 Preseason
vs Den: 9 for 31yds
at KC; 4 for 20yds
at SD: 6 for 20yds
vs Oak: 11 for 89yds
Total: 30 for 160 (5.3 ypc)

Pope 2016 Preseason
at Chiefs: 2 for 10yds
vs Min: 10 for 86
vs Dal: 4 for 14
at Oak: 8 for 52
Total 24 for 162 (6.75 ypc)

I have to say that our offensive line this year has looked CONSIDERABLY better than last year, but considering that both ran behind the 2nd or 3rd string lines with a ton of rookies, I think that it's a net push. I think Pope has done enough to give me that Rawlsy type feeling and hope he makes the team.

Skookum

Reaction score
I agree, Pope has a lot of promise and I'd like to see him on the team. I just hope that Rawls stays healthy this season...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jdemps":170ogcp8 said:
I'm sure that by the time I finish writing this that Pope will be cut and this post will be a moot point, but I have to say that I'm a huge fan of Pope after this preseason. Last year at this time, I distinctly remember being surprised that we kept Rawls over CMike and Turbin (who was injured at the time). To be honest, I wasn't horribly impressed with Rawls in the preseason and I've never been so happy to be wrong. I still believe Pope might be another diamond in the rough so I decided to do a quick preseason stat comparison between the two.

Rawls 2015 Preseason
vs Den: 9 for 31yds
at KC; 4 for 20yds
at SD: 6 for 20yds
vs Oak: 11 for 89yds
Total: 30 for 160 (5.3 ypc)

Pope 2016 Preseason
at Chiefs: 2 for 10yds
vs Min: 10 for 86
vs Dal: 4 for 14
at Oak: 8 for 52
Total 24 for 162 (6.75 ypc)

I have to say that our offensive line this year has looked CONSIDERABLY better than last year, but considering that both ran behind the 2nd or 3rd string lines with a ton of rookies, I think that it's a net push. I think Pope has done enough to give me that Rawlsy type feeling and hope he makes the team.

To add....We all know that the final rushing TD that the Hawks gave to Collins to score in the Raiders game, that Pope would have made it a TD as well, thus would have boosted his stats even more.
Please Carroll, we need to keep this guy.