Time for a partial rebuild?

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Should JS cut some salary and partially rebuild this team?

Trade a few players for picks and pickup some young talent for the offensive line instead of dumpster fire FA's?

I think now is the time for JS start thinking about it.

MB and JG would be the players to unload.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
No. Only trade they should consider would be Jimmy graham since he's not utilized correctly.

We just need to hope that the offensive line can get it together sooner than last season. If they can establish an effective run game, everything else will fall into place

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HawkNuts":edqenqn8 said:
Should JS cut some salary and partially rebuild this team?

Trade a few players for picks and pickup some young talent for the offensive line instead of dumpster fire FA's?

I think now is the time for JS start thinking about it.

MB and JG would be the players to unload.

Way too early for that.

And Bennett is part of the reason we've only surrendered 19 points in two games.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Good teams lose games. Sometimes good teams look like crap.

We're fine.

From the reactions this week you would think it's the first game the seahawks have ever lost.

OP
OP
L

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Normally I would agree and the team can still turn it around. However, I don't see us winning a damn thing in the post-season with the worst LT in the NFL.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Once they Get Ifedi back, they can get the line the way they were in training camp--and playing great--with everybody at the right position. We don't need to trade squat. That knee-jerk mess don't fly here on the Net, ya'll.

GO HAWKS!

kobebryant

Reaction score
No.

But, a definite positive is the emergence of the next wave of key players (after what was a slight lull post 2012). Clark, Reed, Marsh, Lockett, Britt & Glow (have performed pretty well despite the overall line issues).

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":16bxkp2s said:
Once they Get Ifedi back, they can get the line the way they were in training camp--and playing great--with everybody at the right position. We don't need to trade squat. That knee-jerk mess don't fly here on the Net, ya'll.

GO HAWKS!
A team that wants to beat the best has to be able to deal with injuries. If losing 1 guy on the OL means our offense is completely dysfunctional, we aren't going very far.

OP
OP
L

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Knee jerk?

From fox sports.

"I’ve been doing my best to stay positive and look for reasons to be optimistic that the line will get better. Re-watching Sunday’s game from all all-22 and end zone angles though has me doubting that this will get fixed without personnel changes."

And

"Unfortunately, Webb wasn’t even the worst of the group. Left tackle Bradley Sowell gets that distinction. On top of being a penalty machine, Sowell struggled to redirect the defensive end even slightly on many plays.

Sowell simply isn’t an NFL left tackle. His “fail rate” is way too high. He even struggled to get his assignments right when the Seahawks were trying to set up a screen."

I played offensive line through college. I played center and left tackle. I was optimistic about this group going into the season because I believe in JS and PC.

However, I think PC is overly optimistic about the talent on the OL and the ability of Tom Cable.

I think we will struggle in the playoffs with a liability like BS at left tackle.

I hope I'm wrong.

dogorama

Reaction score
HawkNuts":ozp7erxd said:
Knee jerk?

From fox sports.

"I’ve been doing my best to stay positive and look for reasons to be optimistic that the line will get better. Re-watching Sunday’s game from all all-22 and end zone angles though has me doubting that this will get fixed without personnel changes."

And

"Unfortunately, Webb wasn’t even the worst of the group. Left tackle Bradley Sowell gets that distinction. On top of being a penalty machine, Sowell struggled to redirect the defensive end even slightly on many plays.

Sowell simply isn’t an NFL left tackle. His “fail rate” is way too high. He even struggled to get his assignments right when the Seahawks were trying to set up a screen."

I played offensive line through college. I played center and left tackle. I was optimistic about this group going into the season because I believe in JS and PC.

However, I think PC is overly optimistic about the talent on the OL and the ability of Tom Cable.

I think we will struggle in the playoffs with a liability like BS at left tackle.

I hope I'm wrong.

No offense, but I can't tell which is from Fox Sports and which is yours. Could you provide a link? (IIRC, it's required by law when you quote an article or blog.)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
No because dead money from Lynch and Percy Harvin comes off the books next year, Graham can be cut or re-signed at a liwer rate and the salary cap should rise. That make re-signing Bennett AND getting some o-line help via FA quite possible.

As for Sowell relative to the post above, his shit play is obvious but right now, outside of a trade for Joe Thomas the only other option at LT is Gilliam and that's obviously no option at all or he'd be there.

crosfam

Reaction score
NO. Team is set this year, barring injuries and minor tweaks. Core group is set for another 3-4 years. No such thing as a partial rebuild. Re-tool a little every year, try and cut loose big contracts a year early instead of a year late, as Bill Walsh said. Maybe we strike gold a couple of times and the 3-4 years turns into 6-10 years, like the Pats.

dogorama

Reaction score
In a post earlier today, I responded to a post about knee-jerk responses on the board. One of those was the idea that we should "rebuild." My response was that was "knee-jerk on steroids."

We have 2-3 year window that the vast majority of teams in the NFL would kill for. All we have to do is shore up our offensive line and start playing w/some balls. That's it, we don't need anything else.

irocdave

Reaction score
It's premature to talk rebuild, but the obvious issue is the O line and it seems to be only be getting worse. That was OK when they had a running back that could make yards with almost zero blocking and a QB not making a fraction of what RW is now. Come to think of it, what RS, Kam C, ET, MB, CA, KJW and DB are making now. It would be really interesting to go back in the time machine and see if the same people bitching and whining about the o ine are the same that bleated "pay the man!!!!, He the bestest!!" a couple of years ago.

If the o line doesn't make a drastic improvement soon, RW will be on the shelf, hopefully not with a career ending injury. Once that happens the Hawks will be the an 8 and 8 team at best. If that happens, kiss the stellar defense good bye, players will be released, they have to in order to protect the largest earner on the team. I got ripped by people on this forum for daring to try and articulate the gigantic pay increase RW was going to get and repercussions for said increase in this same forum. Posters went after me for questioning the sheople mentality of pay him what ever he wants. Maybe I didn't articulate my thoughts fully, but this type of thing is was picturing would happen. PC and JS committed to the D stud players first so where else are salary savings going to happen? Cut the kicker? Punter? Long snapper? Look at the bitch fest that happened for letting the LS go to save money.

I am with all Hawks fans, RW is the right guy at QB and is worth the money, but just like monopoly, there is only so much money and hard decisions have to be made. You don't get it all except on rare occasions. If this season ends with out a playoff game I would expect to see several core players let go.
KJW, MB, Kam and possibly Earl are real very real possibilities. You cant pay a guy 20+ million a year to get beat up on every down. Money is going to be focused on the O line at a detriment to the D.

sdog1981

Reaction score
No because Tom Cable and Bevell are the opposite of King Midas everything they touch turns to poop. So fire them and see what this team has.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
irocdave":1wih8p7g said:
It's premature to talk rebuild, but the obvious issue is the O line and it seems to be only be getting worse. That was OK when they had a running back that could make yards with almost zero blocking and a QB not making a fraction of what RW is now. Come to think of it, what RS, Kam C, ET, MB, CA, KJW and DB are making now. It would be really interesting to go back in the time machine and see if the same people bitching and whining about the o ine are the same that bleated "pay the man!!!!, He the bestest!!" a couple of years ago.

If the o line doesn't make a drastic improvement soon, RW will be on the shelf, hopefully not with a career ending injury. Once that happens the Hawks will be the an 8 and 8 team at best. If that happens, kiss the stellar defense good bye, players will be released, they have to in order to protect the largest earner on the team. I got ripped by people on this forum for daring to try and articulate the gigantic pay increase RW was going to get and repercussions for said increase in this same forum. Posters went after me for questioning the sheople mentality of pay him what ever he wants. Maybe I didn't articulate my thoughts fully, but this type of thing is was picturing would happen. PC and JS committed to the D stud players first so where else are salary savings going to happen? Cut the kicker? Punter? Long snapper? Look at the bitch fest that happened for letting the LS go to save money.

I am with all Hawks fans, RW is the right guy at QB and is worth the money, but just like monopoly, there is only so much money and hard decisions have to be made. You don't get it all except on rare occasions. If this season ends with out a playoff game I would expect to see several core players let go.
KJW, MB, Kam and possibly Earl are real very real possibilities. You cant pay a guy 20+ million a year to get beat up on every down. Money is going to be focused on the O line at a detriment to the D.

Here is the thing, the 15th highest paid starting QB salary in the league is $19m. You want a starting QB, you are going to pay that much, or keep hoping you get lucky in the draft year after year.

Sign37now

Reaction score
HawkNuts":14kqezzn said:
Knee jerk?

From fox sports.

And

I hope I'm wrong.

PLAYOFFS ? PLAYOFFS?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
What if the team needs to shed a high caliber defensive player (or two) to build a better Oline? Do we consider this a manageable trade off? Do we call that a rebuild?

I'm relieved to hear cap space may open up for JS next year. But right now, the team needs to rethink its philosophy a bit.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
No.

But it's also worth noting that in the PCJS organization, we're constantly in a state of partial rebuild. How many rooks made the roster this year?

Latest posts