PFF grades the worst performances in the NFL this week

xgeoff

Reaction score
And three Seahawks offensive linemen are in the top (or bottom, depending on how you look at it) 10.

They ranked as follows:

2. Bradley Sowell
3. Garry Gilliam
9. Germain Ifedi

And they said George Fant would have been here as well if he had enough snaps. This is for the entire league. I guess this is just further validation of what we all saw with our eyes last night.

Frankly I continue to wonder about Cable's ability to construct an offensive line. I don't want to ignore the fact that we have done well, statistically, running the ball in past years. It appears to me that a lot of that may have been due to Russ Wilson's mobility, which is now absent.

At least Justin Britt still appears to me to be a success story.

RussB

Reaction score
Oh man thats terrible, they need staley or thomas like NOW. I dont care what draft pick they give up. Give up 2 if you have to.

Jville

Reaction score
The Sky is Falling ......... the sky is falling

LOL

chawx

Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but I don't think they played that bad. Hear me out.

I think they just got called for an excessive amount of ticky-tack holding penalties that when you watch marquee teams and marquee OLs that are paid top$$ like Dallas for example. They get away with those same kind of grabs/tugs at a much higher rate. Something tells me Bruce Arians was in the refs ears from the start/middle/end of this game about calling holds and they did, they "found" a hold every time we made a play.

Watch any other game and you'll find a hold on almost every play too. We just got called for it.

Egregious holds need to be called, but not weak ones that don't really effect a play.

Our crappy OL gave up 1 sack. Their OL gave up 4 sacks. We got called for 6 holding penalties (5 accepted). They got called for 2 and it was on their WR and TE. You can't tell me with a straight face that if you watched that game and watched their OL, and applied the same level of scrutiny that they applied to our guys, on the 49 pass attempts and 37 rushing attempts for AZ that they didn't hold us ONCE on the OL?

I'm not blaming the refs for our poor play/execution/drops/playcalling, but I am blaming the refs for our OLs poor rating in this game.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Blaming Cable is unfair as he is tasked with the nearly impossible.

Look at the resources he is given: rock bottom OL spending. We are of course dead last in the league in OL spending (and by a wide margin) and it shows.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/offensive-line/

We also miss out on any potential continuity as we let our OL vets walk.

I know many people will disagree with me, but paying Baldwin what he's making is a mistake. He is not an $11.5M receiver, especially in our system. Or if you want to pay Baldwin that kind of money you can't pay Kearse $4.5M.

OP
OP
xgeoff

xgeoff

Reaction score
I guess my thing with Cable is that we had guys like Okung and Carpenter, who were high draft choices who have thrived elsewhere but looked crappy (in my opinion) when they played here.

White Devil

Reaction score
xgeoff":20zj75h7 said:
I guess my thing with Cable is that we had guys like Okung and Carpenter, who were high draft choices who have thrived elsewhere but looked crappy (in my opinion) when they played here.

When has Okung thrived besides here? You mean Denver where he gets called for holding or isn't on the field because of injury?

Carp has been ok, I wouldn't say better. The Jets overpaid him, something Seattle can't afford to do.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
chawx":4lpv03mh said:
I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but I don't think they played that bad. Hear me out.

I think they just got called for an excessive amount of ticky-tack holding penalties that when you watch marquee teams and marquee OLs that are paid top$$ like Dallas for example. They get away with those same kind of grabs/tugs at a much higher rate. Something tells me Bruce Arians was in the refs ears from the start/middle/end of this game about calling holds and they did, they "found" a hold every time we made a play.

Watch any other game and you'll find a hold on almost every play too. We just got called for it.

Egregious holds need to be called, but not weak ones that don't really effect a play.

Our crappy OL gave up 1 sack. Their OL gave up 4 sacks. We got called for 6 holding penalties (5 accepted). They got called for 2 and it was on their WR and TE. You can't tell me with a straight face that if you watched that game and watched their OL, and applied the same level of scrutiny that they applied to our guys, on the 49 pass attempts and 37 rushing attempts for AZ that they didn't hold us ONCE on the OL?

I'm not blaming the refs for our poor play/execution/drops/playcalling, but I am blaming the refs for our OLs poor rating in this game.

I can confirm that this is true.

The AM sports radio guys down here in AZ had their sideline reporter on the radio this morning. Said Bruce was working the refs about offensive holding and defensive pass interference the whole game.

The douchebags then went on to ponder why Seattle always gets away with DB muggings. I changed the channel.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Jville":awtzsa8i said:

LOL

This is hilarious. This guy hears a stat that out of 150 OL's on the field this week, 3 of the 5 of our OL are in the bottom 10 and he is just fine with it. Ridiculous. Is the sky falling? no, but obviously we have a serious issue that has hurt out 20+ million dollar quarterback, is seriously hurting our running game and making our expensive star receivers useless.

I fully understand the reasons we have to have bottom barrel guys for OL as we have decided to spend our cap in other areas. There is no easy fix to this without taking away from another area of the team. Draft and develop or pick up reject FA and UDFA and develop is our only choice. You are going to have to keep guys in rotation as far as development as well as we can't afford to pay guys once they do develop into good OL players. We had to start over from last year as taking athletes from other positions and trying to train them as OL didn't work out. By next year we should see an improvement, and if they stick with a development system, really year 3 and 4 are when you start seeing real results.

But to discredit the horribly bad stat mentioned is ignorant at best.

davidonmi

Reaction score
chawx":16yafhmu said:

the 1 sack was incredibly misleading and indicative of the fact that we couldn't go downfield at all because we simply didn't have any time to do it

Jville

Reaction score
johnnyfever":3mtiotjn said:
Jville":3mtiotjn said:

LOL

This is hilarious. This guy hears a stat that out of 150 OL's on the field this week, 3 of the 5 of our OL are in the bottom 10 and he is just fine with it. Ridiculous. Is the sky falling? no, but obviously we have a serious issue that has hurt out 20+ million dollar quarterback, is seriously hurting our running game and making our expensive star receivers useless.

I fully understand the reasons we have to have bottom barrel guys for OL as we have decided to spend our cap in other areas. There is no easy fix to this without taking away from another area of the team. Draft and develop or pick up reject FA and UDFA and develop is our only choice. You are going to have to keep guys in rotation as far as development as well as we can't afford to pay guys once they do develop into good OL players. We had to start over from last year as taking athletes from other positions and trying to train them as OL didn't work out. By next year we should see an improvement, and if they stick with a development system, really year 3 and 4 are when you start seeing real results.

Speaking of ignorant, my post was in response to .....
"Oh man thats terrible, they need staley or thomas like NOW. I dont care what draft pick they give up. Give up 2 if you have to."
Your false and misplaced assumption is your undoing.

12thbrah

Reaction score
On a side note I found it hilarious that NBC displayed the PFF ratings below each players pic in its telecast. Just in case people watching didn't already know how bad our offensive line is.

OP
OP
xgeoff

xgeoff

Reaction score
White Devil":1zig3j1k said:
xgeoff":1zig3j1k said:

When has Okung thrived besides here? You mean Denver where he gets called for holding or isn't on the field because of injury?

Carp has been ok, I wouldn't say better. The Jets overpaid him, something Seattle can't afford to do.

I saw Okung play earlier in the year for Denver and he looked good, and the announcers were talking about him as someone likely to make the pro bowl based on his play so far.

Ok, it was ridiculously early in the season, and announcers are often idiots, but there it was, he was thriving early on. I don't know how he's doing now, knowing him he's probably injured.

Whenever I see the Jets play (which is often, unfortunately) Carpenter looks good. Maybe not great, but good. Right now, we could use good offensive linemen.

OP
OP
xgeoff

xgeoff

Reaction score
johnnyfever":1azcp47q said:
...out of 150 OL's on the field this week, 3 of the 5 of our OL are in the bottom 10...

Just an fyi, these ratings weren't just for linemen. They were for EVERYONE in the entire NFL. Yes, 3 out of our 5 linemen were rated in the bottom 10 of every player who played in a game this week (excepting tonight's game, obviously).

mrt144

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1wk8sjh4 said:

Look at the resources he is given: rock bottom OL spending. We are of course dead last in the league in OL spending (and by a wide margin) and it shows.

I know many people will disagree with me, but paying Baldwin what he's making is a mistake. He is not an $11.5M receiver, especially in our system. Or if you want to pay Baldwin that kind of money you can't pay Kearse $4.5M.

Cable has input on acquisitions, right? If not then that seems like a really weird way to run the org, basically keeping one coach locked in a bunker full of chicken shit expected to cater a 500 person wedding.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
mrt144":3pbk198k said:
CodeWarrior":3pbk198k said:

Cable has input on acquisitions, right? If not then that seems like a really weird way to run the org, basically keeping one coach locked in a bunker full of chicken shit expected to cater a 500 person wedding.

Cable's input on acquisitions is hamstrung by the budget with which he operates.

To use your wedding catering example it's akin to telling Cable to cater that 500 person wedding with $250 then being upset when the result is garbage.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Jville":23hsfcaz said:
johnnyfever":23hsfcaz said:
Jville":23hsfcaz said:

LOL

Speaking of ignorant, my post was in response to .....
"Oh man thats terrible, they need staley or thomas like NOW. I dont care what draft pick they give up. Give up 2 if you have to."
Your false and misplaced assumption is your undoing.

And how would we know you were responding to a particular part of a particular post? Even then, The basis of the thread is that 3 of our 5 offensive lineman were in the bottom 10 OF THE ENTIRE LEAGUE! If this is not alarming to you, I am at a loss for words. As someone else stated, this is not just offensive lineman, but every player in the NFL that played. Wow, that is some poor execution.

I fully stand by my statement. My statement was neither false or mispalced based on your post. If you want to respond to specifics, there is a quote feature. I just took your statement exactly as you typed and posted it. We can't read minds.