A Possibility for a reason for last weeks loss

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Between working on my stuff and sleep, I have been contemplating the best way to state what I want to on this subject.

First, we are 3 games ahead of all in our division. There is only one team to be concerned about for the 2 spot in the conference and that is Atlanta. So far so good in our cushion.

Second, no game is a cushy game...all are gonna be hard fought even the one at the end of the year. We seem to play the games that way.

So my point would be that it is a great time for us to get some outsiders in the game in the heat of battle as it were to see if they can handle the heat. Minor injuries to some of our big front that has shown some consistency may be harder to bear if we dont see someone that can handle it. Bring in that Center that has not seen anything but on a whiteboard and see if he has learned a lot or if he needs a little shoring up. This was the game to do it before our endaround run to the playoffs. I dont see any other teams that would be easy to use as a barometer if you will to see how our team can handle the heat.

Defense was in the same boat. They needed to see what they had (example Cary Williams...dont cringe too hard...it will hurt :twisted: ).

Now that we have had them in the heat of the battle, I think we came out ok even though it was a loss. They got their feet really wet and the second half were pushing hard to position them to score and defend. No points in the second half....

Just a thought.

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
My question then would be Would you rather have the backup put in during the playoffs with no experience or put him in now just to gain the experience so he would not be green going in?

And I do remember that the center is the Colonel out there where RW is the General.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think maybe what you're trying to say, is that it's better to get the new guys experience now, and risk losing now, which were did, than to do so when we're in a playoff game.

Pete has always played the "long game." He protects injured players during the season when other coaches would be playing them every last minute, to prevent a really bad injury from happening. He wants everyone as healthy as they can be at the end of the season, because the playoffs are what really matters.

Better to throw the new guys out there and risk losing an in season game, than to put a bunch of with down, injured players on the field when it really matters.

Harbaugh was the opposite. He played his best players 99% of the time. That's why they only made the one super bowl. After he left there was a mass retirement in Santa Clara from a bunch of worn out veteran players.

Win forever.... well, at least for a decade or 2.

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
ivotuk":2yhdl1mn said:
I think maybe what you're trying to say, is that it's better to get the new guys experience now, and risk losing now, which were did, than to do so when we're in a playoff game.

Pete has always played the "long game." He protects injured players during the season when other coaches would be playing them every last minute, to prevent a really bad injury from happening. He wants everyone as healthy as they can be at the end of the season, because the playoffs are what really matters.

Better to throw the new guys out there and risk losing an in season game, than to put a bunch of with down, injured players on the field when it really matters.

Harbaugh was the opposite. He played his best players 99% of the time. That's why they only made the one super bowl. After he left there was a mass retirement in Santa Clara from a bunch of worn out veteran players.

Win forever.... well, at least for a decade or 2.

EXACTLY. :2thumbs:

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I've heard many times that Seahawks have an incredibly deep roster, much deeper than the rest of the league.

However, I'm seeing that at least with the line we are not serviceable. Other teams backup linemen handle our d line just fine.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
wait.. Are you saying that horse is still alive?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Pete kinda mentioned this in today's press conference saying it's better to get young guys playing time now than later. (Now vs the superb owl). So while injuries aren't good if you have depth or a rookie you want to see things can work out.

Cat :p

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3psms1ar said:
Between working on my stuff and sleep, I have been contemplating the best way to state what I want to on this subject.

First, we are 3 games ahead of all in our division. There is only one team to be concerned about for the 2 spot in the conference and that is Atlanta. So far so good in our cushion.

Second, no game is a cushy game...all are gonna be hard fought even the one at the end of the year. We seem to play the games that way.

So my point would be that it is a great time for us to get some outsiders in the game in the heat of battle as it were to see if they can handle the heat. Minor injuries to some of our big front that has shown some consistency may be harder to bear if we dont see someone that can handle it. Bring in that Center that has not seen anything but on a whiteboard and see if he has learned a lot or if he needs a little shoring up. This was the game to do it before our endaround run to the playoffs. I dont see any other teams that would be easy to use as a barometer if you will to see how our team can handle the heat.

Defense was in the same boat. They needed to see what they had (example Cary Williams...dont cringe too hard...it will hurt :twisted: ).

Now that we have had them in the heat of the battle, I think we came out ok even though it was a loss. They got their feet really wet and the second half were pushing hard to position them to score and defend. No points in the second half....

Just a thought.
I was half expecting to read it was your fault for not wearing a lucky jersey or something. 8)

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":362pls62 said:
Seahawkfan80":362pls62 said:

Just a thought.
I was half expecting to read it was your fault for not wearing a lucky jersey or something. 8)

Well, I did not wear my lucky........Nevermind.

OP
OP
Seahawkfan80

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":20nj5sbf said:
Pete kinda mentioned this in today's press conference saying it's better to get young guys playing time now than later. (Now vs the superb owl). So while injuries aren't good if you have depth or a rookie you want to see things can work out.

Cat :p

I was thinking about that thought on Monday. I emailed him to let him know I approve. LOL :sarcasm_off:

:stirthepot: :p

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd agree with you if the problem last weekend was the 2nd and 3rd stringers getting beat, but it wasn't. Those guys played average to well.

It was guys like Russell, Gilliam, Sherman and Graham fumbling and playing like hot garbage.

So no, that wasn't a reason we lost. The reason we lost is Tampa came in with their hair on fire with something to prove against an elite NFC team, and they proceeded to punch us in the mouth for 60 minutes...........and we didn't answer the bell, especially on offense.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I had almost these exact same thoughts the night after the game as well. I even logged in and was going to post a new thread with a really long post about it. I actually spent about an hour writing it up, but then when I hit the submit button it said I was logged out and needed to sign in. Then I hit the back button and my entire post was gone. So I just bagged it and went to bed.

But yeah, I wonder the same thing...would they be willing to decrease their odds of winning that game in order to improve depth, ensure we don't suffer more key injuries, etc? It's possible.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
mikeak":mgi5jwj4 said:
I think players ate turkey and relaxed to much with family

It happens

This makes sense.

Warning: Really long post ahead.

1. Offense Line played poorly thats for certain, I think it's safe to say Britt is so valuable. Look how much Wilson ran because he didn't trust the interior. Funny thing though Britt wouldn't be as good mentally if he didn't take those lumps at RT and LG. In his first season, Id say he's a Pro Bowl caliber guy, just as good as Unger ever was.

2. Tampa Bay came inspired to play, not only were they riding momentum of beating the Chiefs @ Arrowhead (which allowed them to get back into the NFC South race). The Defense was rallying around Altaun Verner losing his father. When it looked liked Seattle would drive down and make it a game and Verner got that Int, that was the nail in the coffin. They just played lights out with a mixture of fighting for their playoff chances, stepping up to the physicality Seahawks bring, and rallying around one of thier own.

3. I think this is where your point comes in. Seahawks just got off one of their most physical games they played against the Eagles since that Cards tie. That alone left them drained, add in the holiday time as you said, drained turned into lethargic. Throw in another cross country trip on top of all of that and you could see how the Seahawks came out flat and couldnt execute especially on Offense. And back to your turkey comment, O-Line probably would have ate the most too.

4. Then all the injuries didnt help. Seahawks are probably good enough to overcome them in different circumstances but it was really a perfect storm of being a trap game. These games tend to happen from time to time.

5. It didn't help from a competitive standpoint that the NFC West all lost before the Seahawks played. This team is at its best when its under pressure to win whether to get back into the playoff conversation like '12, '14, '15 or when you had division rivals breathing down your back like SFO in '13 and Arizona in '14.

6. Seahawks usually do well in bouncing back from adversity and disappointment though. No way did I believe we were going 6-0 to end the season. I thought 5-1 was more viable, and 4-2 realistic. Looking forward there aren't anymore traps games in the same sense as TB, there SF but they aren't on the same level as TB. You better believe Seahawks will bring thier best effort, preparation, and focus vs Panthers, Rams, Cardinals, and @Packers. Only because all these teams have been familiar the last 4-5 years, and all these teams have beaten the Seahawks in the last 2 years.

7. To add something to what the OP stated, I think there is some truth there. The last time Seahawks were as comfortable in W-L record as they were in heading into TB was 2013. I remember 2 games in the middle of that season, where Dan Quinn seemed to be tinkering and experimenting with his Defensive formations specifically pass rush groupings. Those 2 games almost ended up being lossess to STL and TB who ran all over us. But who knows how much that helped in retrospect in getting us to and winning the SB.

I think this last game was more injury influenced than actual tinkering save for Sowell and Gilliam. But I don't disagree that this team will force a square peg into a round hole at times to get better in the long run. Something to think about when we all question some of the Coordinating decisions in not making adjustments and constantly running the same plays that never work. Maybe it's not incompetence but more of sticking to a script so these players can learn and perfect it in live games. So down the line when you really need to lock down and win, the coaches know what players to trust, in what plays and formations. Every coach wants to field the best team possible but you have to obtain as much information as possible whether that means you'll struggle or take lumps in doing so. The more experience and understanding everyone has the better everyone will be all around throughout the coaching ranks and roster. Especially a team built like Seattle who are cash strapped behind Wilson and that Defense. You really need the new guys in the system to rise up and be reliable. And you need all those guys to be on the same page and find the chemistry with established players.

It doesn't always work out but it's what you strive for in the long run. And if does work out youre building on that future foundation. Which is why Seahawks have been been remarkable under Carroll they arent manipulating the cap to go All In for one year, every season they are always allowing competition to establish depth. To constantly field one of the youngest teams every season and remain as competitive as they have been through constant attrition is extraordinary effort and belief by the coaching staff.

So when you see games like this last one vs TB, where guys are playing because of injury, and you think how can this team be so bad. That is just another opportunity to learn and another opportunity to get better. Whether or not Itll pay dividends thats up to them. But I'm not going to hang my head on a loss because with this team there is always something to be gained.

I'll be honest in saying that do I believe we can win it all, im not certain we are on that level of being confident. However, I do believe this team will rise up, compete, and scrap for every opportunity it has to move towards its goals.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Is there any possibility that if they were trying to shape some things, mostly personnel wise, that play calls may have taken a similar philosophy?

Maybe especially for the OL schemes but perhaps also in the routes run by the receivers? For example, although RW typically is pretty good about it, you didn't see guys having to catch balls across the middle where a LB was crashing in to take their head right off.

SeahawksMSHing

Reaction score
Very basic reason we had terrible offensive line play 3 rookies starting plus second year player and first year RT with team. Its nfl you cant expect too much.