Geno one reason for PC got fired?

Germanhawk7

Reaction score
Hey guys,

saw some „Insider“ on X who said that one big thing about the PC decision was that he wanted to continue with Geno and not draft a QB in April. Owner and JS therefore want to draft a QB.
I know a lot of speculation, but i really think that this could be true.
You've often heard that JS had the right QB's on his radar in the past and maybe it was always because of PC that he couldn't draft them.
From the owner's perspective, I would also understand it, especially in the context of a sale. A young QB is more attractive than an obvious bridge QB like Geno.

Discuss

WarHawks

Reaction score
That's a paradox, because Pete won a sb with a young, unpredictable mobile qb who ran often. It makes no sense why he would not want to go back to that.

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
My guess it's more than just Geno and Pete wanted to "run it back" and bring back everyone, including the coordinators. Even with the way he talked about Jamal Adams and how brave he is and how much he loved him, I wouldn't have been surprised if he was back under Pete. Of course Jody would fire him under these circumstances.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I posted the tweet yesterday and found out it was from a parody account and edited it to have the mods delete it.

However, it is highly speculative but possible that it could be true. It's easy to imagine Pete thinking QB wasn't the issue and they just needed a few more pieces to be serious contenders while Jody and Vulcan Executives disagreed and thought a different direction was needed and they knew who they wanted at QB.

It's incredibly interesting to me honestly, because I'm in the camp of getting the next QBotF if JS actually has one picked out instead of using draft capital on other positions to stick with Geno as the starter.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Who was worth drafting in their position in the last draft? Levis?? Imo he will never amount to a qb1..Stetson Bennett? Hooker?? There was nothing left imo to draft. Even the qb who went 1 overall looks like a massive bust. I get trying to draft a qb but if it doesn't make sense why waste the pick? I'd rather Spoon over every qb not named Stroud in that draft.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
If not drafting a qb did Pete in and this year there is pressure to do so no matter what it could really blow up and set this team back even further...its not like there is a top 5 pick here.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Hey guys,

saw some „Insider“ on X who said that one big thing about the PC decision was that he wanted to continue with Geno and not draft a QB in April. Owner and JS therefore want to draft a QB.
I know a lot of speculation, but i really think that this could be true.
You've often heard that JS had the right QB's on his radar in the past and maybe it was always because of PC that he couldn't draft them.
From the owner's perspective, I would also understand it, especially in the context of a sale. A young QB is more attractive than an obvious bridge QB like Geno.

Discuss
Until I see it from a little more credible source besides some "insider" on X, I don't believe that any one decision was the root cause of Pete's firing. IMO the reason why Pete was let go was due to the long string of mediocre teams, not any one particular personnel/draft decision.

There was a lot of things that went wrong over the past few years, including the Adams trade and subsequent contract extension, the trading of draft choices for one year rental players, and the revolving door with coordinators. IMO it was an accumulation of bad personnel decisions, coaches as well as players, and general mismanagement of resources, draft and salary cap decisions, that resulted in a succession of .500ish teams that doomed Pete.

And I'll add that some of these stats and rankings, particularly on defense, are downright embarrassing and extremely difficult for a coach known for his defensive mind to reconcile.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
If not drafting a qb did Pete in and this year there is pressure to do so no matter what it could really blow up and set this team back even further...its not like there is a top 5 pick here.
Then they trade up if they think The Guy is there to be had. If not, not.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Then they trade up if they think The Guy is there to be had. If not, not.
That is not always easy to do for a league starved for quarterbacks...especially decent ones. There's a reason why guys like Geno..Mayfield...even Flacco are still playing in this league. It's not because they are great but it's better than what coming through the draft for the most part.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
That is not always easy to do for a league starved for quarterbacks...especially decent ones. There's a reason why guys like Geno..Mayfield...even Flacco are still playing in this league. It's not because they are great but it's better than what coming through the draft for the most part.
I semi-disagree with you there, Cyrus. I think it all depends on the organization and coaching that the drafted QB goes that determines how well they play.

Greatest example? Tom Brady
Most recent example? Brock Purdy

If an organization and coaching staff builds around the QB's strengths instead of forcing the QB to play they want him to play, I believe we'd see more quality QB's instead of desperate teams ruining a QB's chances because they're a high prospect and the team has a high draft pick.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I semi-disagree with you there, Cyrus. I think it all depends on the organization and coaching that the drafted QB goes that determines how well they play.

Greatest example? Tom Brady
Most recent example? Brock Purdy

If an organization and coaching staff builds around the QB's strengths instead of forcing the QB to play they want him to play, I believe we'd see more quality QB's instead of desperate teams ruining a QB's chances because they're a high prospect and the team has a high draft pick.
Agree but the Brady's and Purdy's of the world don't happen often. I also think the reason why the Seahawks drafted two rbs early the last two years was to establish the run and play to Geno's strengths and weaknesses. Imo playcalling more than anything resulted in Geno regressing. The offensive playcalling most of the year imo was baffling. Factor in some key injuries on the line and it didn't take much to go downhill. I am in no way advocating for Geno to be the qbotf as he was always meant to be a bridge guy but imo drafting a miss at qb in the high rounds can set the team back years as development is forced due to the position where the qb is selected. I hope they can draft a qb that will be good but doing it for the sake of an ownership request could go downhill quickly...I do not want to see a Carolina situation here.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Agree but the Brady's and Purdy's of the world don't happen often. I also think the reason why the Seahawks drafted two rbs early the last two years was to establish the run and play to Geno's strengths and weaknesses. Imo playcalling more than anything resulted in Geno regressing. The offensive playcalling most of the year imo was baffling. Factor in some key injuries on the line and it didn't take much to go downhill. I am in no way advocating for Geno to be the qbotf as he was always meant to be a bridge guy but imo drafting a miss at qb in the high rounds can set the team back years as development is forced due to the position where the qb is selected. I hope they can draft a qb that will be good but doing it for the sake of an ownership request could go downhill quickly...I do not want to see a Carolina situation here.
Right, that's why it's absolutely necessary to only draft a QB if JS says he found his guy. I trust JS' QB prospecting for right now and if he's fully committed to a QB then I trust his judgment until his choice proves me wrong.

I can't say I side with Pete about only being a few missing pieces away with Geno, but here we are and we'll have to see what the new coach thinks.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
If you look at the cap numbers, there are a lot of high hits
including Geno for next season unless cuts are made.
I think Geno is out only for cap reasons and I think a few more
are gone as well..
Your not winning much with 2 safety's being paid what they are
yet ranked near the bottom.
If it was true that PC wanted all the same along DC/OC for next
season then I agree with him being replaced.
It's going to hurt some with the changes and ones to come but it
was coming a lot sooner than later.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Right, that's why it's absolutely necessary to only draft a QB if JS says he found his guy. I trust JS' QB prospecting for right now and if he's fully committed to a QB then I trust his judgment until his choice proves me wrong.

I can't say I side with Pete about only being a few missing pieces away with Geno, but here we are and we'll have to see what the new coach thinks.
Not sure what Pete meant by saying a few pieces away with Geno. Is there a scenario where they could of succeeded with Geno? I think so but it's more than a few pieces. Currently Purdy has those pieces. That team is stacked. The best rb in football and a great oline. Also a stout defense that gets the offense back on the field quickly. Put Purdy in the Seahawks line up and I think he flounders quickly.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
If you look at the cap numbers, there are a lot of high hits
including Geno for next season unless cuts are made.
I think Geno is out only for cap reasons and I think a few more
are gone as well..
Your not winning much with 2 safety's being paid what they are
yet ranked near the bottom.
If it was true that PC wanted all the same along DC/OC for next
season then I agree with him being replaced.
It's going to hurt some with the changes and ones to come but it
was coming a lot sooner than later.
Agree. If he wanted to keep Hurtt and Waldron I'm 100 percent fine with Pete going. No way they could go into another year with that duo. I was 50/50 with Pete at season end. I just know the Jim Mora deal after Holmgren was a dark time...

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Overly simplistic take.

It was just time.
I would put my thoughts right here. ^

Realistically, the truth is no one knows what exactly was said behind those doors. "It was time" is the only common sense take anyone can rely on.

Was it his idea?
Did they push him out?
Was it mutual?

Who cares. It was time and I'm good with that. Pete has been the most successful coach this team ever had to date. I loved it.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Agree. If he wanted to keep Hurtt and Waldron I'm 100 percent fine with Pete going. No way they could go into another year with that duo. I was 50/50 with Pete at season end. I just know the Jim Mora deal after Holmgren was a dark time...
Mora was great compared to the Stan Gelbaugh/Rick Mirer years!

And they just stuck with Rick so long, they really wanted him to work...

Just thinking about the Mirer years makes me appreciate Geno. My god people, some of you have no idea how nasty the grass can be on the other side of the fence. No freakin' clue what those years were like...

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Mora was great compared to the Stan Gelbaugh/Rick Mirer years!

And they just stuck with Rick so long, they really wanted him to work...

Just thinking about the Mirer years makes me appreciate Geno. My god people, some of you have no idea how nasty the grass can be on the other side of the fence. No freakin' clue what those years were like...
Well when management drafts a bad qb early you gotta try and salvage that move in order to save your job resulting in years of bad qb play. Drafting a rd1 bust at qb usually means dismissal.