"We want to become a great scrambling team"

cymatica

Reaction score
Remember when Pete emphasized this a couple seasons ago? I wonder how much practice time is put into this and if somehow this approach hinders the offense in more traditional production. How much practice time is taken away from a more traditional offense and put into scrambling technique. What about the OL. They may have reasoned they could skimp on the OL with a scramble scheme.

I truly don't know if this has anything to do with what we've seen on offense, but maybe Bevell hasn't schemed a 3 step drop short game because they rely on the scramble so much and just hope for the big play.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sounds more like our line can't block so we want to be good at the scramble drill.

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
chris98251":377kz25h said:
Sounds more like our line can't block so we want to be good at the scramble drill.

Pete Caroll said this several years ago, his reasoning was that it gives an opposing defense fit's

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hard to be a good scramble offense with a 75% healthy Russell and the worst O-line in franchise history.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":30ty1rzs said:

Yup, they're not going to be able to get blood out of a turnip, but they can accentuate their positives, just so long as they don't try and get too cute.
I think we may be in for a couple of 'Whoa, Didn't See That One Coming' plays.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
We tended to run the ball a lot in the previous few years. Last year we had to change strategy due to a lack of a harsh run game. This year we have had very sporadic if not less then stellar offensive movement in the run game. Opening it up to a passing frenzy, et al the west coast offense, is not the style if you want to ground and pound the ball for a time consuming run game. Air games do not wear down defenses per se, ground games do a lot better at it. Then you can attack thru the air. We have been changing the system to more of a run to the west coast hybrid....and it has not worked out as well as we would appreciate it.

So in a way do we really want to hybridize our offense to the run to the west coast offense and use the offense to have an effect on the running game? More flashy stuff for the fantasy fanatics over the pound and grind that we use now......Or do we want to play the ball control game like as we have been doing with some success in the last few years. Remember last year was a mixed into a dud after we lost Lynch...as he was the lynchpin of the organization until we saw what Rawls could do. Our run first agenda has worked with a bell cow and now we are experimenting with more bell cows. I kinda hope this plan works as it does have an effect of keeping the scoring availability of the opposing force to a limited amount and our offense to controlling the ball. After all it is about the ball....That is what Carrol said in the beginning.

I just typed this up and wanted to place it on its own post but decided to look for one that fits. I think this kinda fits here.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
cymatica":h0gabvd6 said:
Remember when Pete emphasized this a couple seasons ago? I wonder how much practice time is put into this and if somehow this approach hinders the offense in more traditional production. How much practice time is taken away from a more traditional offense and put into scrambling technique. What about the OL. They may have reasoned they could skimp on the OL with a scramble scheme.

With a mobile and creative QB, good scramble WRs, 15 years of evidence that NFL quarterbacks can thrive in spread systems without good lines (Colts, Steelers, Packers, etc.), and all our money locked up in the defense and Wilson's targets...I really don't have a problem with their strategy. It makes sense.