Wildcard weekend

Followthelegion

Reaction score
Alright folks, trying to look forward after another painful loss (Tyler's injury being the most bitter aspect of it) and looking to Wildcard weekend.

and yes I am aware if the Falcons lose to the Saints then we claim the no 2 seed with a win at the 9ers, but I think the chances of this eventuality are pretty slim. Atlanta are simply a better version of what the Saints are this year.

Currently this would mean the seeding looks like (assuming we beat SF):
1. DALLAS
2. ATLANTA
3. SEATTLE
4. DETROIT / GREEN BAY
5. NEW YORK GIANTS
6. WASHINGTON / lose of DET / GB

and again, yes I'm ignoring Tampa Bay who are not mathematically eliminated but this is what they need to get into the playoffs:
A) Bucs beat Panthers
B) Giants tie Redskins
C) 49ers beat Seahawks
D) Detroit beat Green Bay
E) Titans beat Texans
F) Dallas beats Philly
G) Colts beats Jags

So long winded way of saying we are likely hosting a playoff game Wildcard weekend against the Redskins or Detroit (or GB if Rodgers falls off his perch).

Who fears you the most here? Would you favour us in any of the matchups?

I think we could take down the Lions, but the speed of Washington's offense scares me without Earl although we have owned the Skins in recent matchups, especially playoffs :2thumbs:

Don't want anything of that Green Bay team right now.

If we were able to pull out a win it would be on to Atlanta to face that offense in the dome...

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't think we can beat either the Packers or the Giants to be honest.

The Packers have Wilson's number for some inexplicable reason.

The Giants' DL is probably playing better than any other DL right now. I'm not saying they're the best, but they're playing the best. This reminds me of all the Giants runs to the SB in the past: a somewhat flawed team that gets hot and lives off of the play of their DL and Eli making amazing plays at the right time.

The funny thing would be if we did manage to win, we'd be going to Atlanta to probably lose for the 2nd time their in the divisional round. Last time we did that, it propelled us to a SB.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Just want to play against whichever team is worst at rushing at the passer or doesn't have an elite deep threat. So that would probably be Detroit.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
We beat a team featuring the #1 defense and a top 3 offense in their house. We lost one game at home, to a division rival that seems to have our number every year. We can beat any of these teams in our house.

themunn

Reaction score
Hawks46":600uqeer said:
I don't think we can beat either the Packers or the Giants to be honest.

The Packers have Wilson's number for some inexplicable reason.

The Giants' DL is probably playing better than any other DL right now. I'm not saying they're the best, but they're playing the best. This reminds me of all the Giants runs to the SB in the past: a somewhat flawed team that gets hot and lives off of the play of their DL and Eli making amazing plays at the right time.

The funny thing would be if we did manage to win, we'd be going to Atlanta to probably lose for the 2nd time their in the divisional round. Last time we did that, it propelled us to a SB.

The giants may have a fearsome d-line, but they've also just gone 4 straight games without scoring 20 points, and have 8 such games on the season. Even if they keep our offense in check, we still have one of the league's top defenses, and should be able to eek out a low scoring game against them.

OP
OP
F

Followthelegion

Reaction score
The Giants don't instill fear for me, we'd be at home if we ever played them and Eli wouldn't put up many points against us.

One thing to add, given the above likely seeding, its very unlikely we'd play the GIants. If we're the 3 seed we would only ever play the Giants if we both reached the NFCCG. Even if we grasped the 2 seed, then its unlikely we'd play the 5 seed in the divisional round.

I just want us to somehow get to that big game against the Cowboys NFCCG. Its fair to say this gets SO much easier if we can just grab the 2 seed. As I mentioned earlier I have no rational expectation of the Saints beating Atlanta however.

James in PA

Reaction score
Here's what's going to happen: The Saints won't come through and Seattle will play on wildcard weekend. We will host the Giants and beat them. Green Bay will also host a wildcard game and win. Green Bay goes to Dallas and beats them. Seattle goes to Atlanta and beats them. Seattle hosts Green Bay for NFCCG. Revenge game. We CAN beat Erin & company if it's in our house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCATES

Reaction score
James in PA":34rix645 said:
Here's what's going to happen: The Saints won't come through and Seattle will play on wildcard weekend. We will host the Giants and beat them. Green Bay will also host a wildcard game and win. Green Bay goes to Dallas and beats them. Seattle goes to Atlanta and beats them. Seattle hosts Green Bay for NFCCG. Revenge game. We CAN beat Erin & company if it's in our house.

I wouldn't sleep on the Saints. They are division rivals and always play a close game. Saints have nothing to lose and will put up a heap of points in the comfy confine's of the Georgia Dome especially with a suspect Atlanta secondary that has Trufant out for the year. The other key thing to watch is Julio Jones getting limited snaps because of a ankle injury. They have already lowered his snaps considerably last week and have openly come out and said they are resting him so he can be healthy for the playoffs.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
James in PA":r4r0odu6 said:

You know. This is not that crazy...........

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
gowazzu02":327po9hn said:
James in PA":327po9hn said:

:ditto:

Got me thinking, "Could actually make sense!"

12thbrah

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":14qhzgir said:
gowazzu02":14qhzgir said:
James in PA":14qhzgir said:

Count me in for the Hawks possibly hosting the NFCCG if the top 2 seeds lose in the 2nd round. I believe!

OP
OP
F

Followthelegion

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":zzrcamud said:
gowazzu02":zzrcamud said:
James in PA":zzrcamud said:

This can't happen unless we lose to the 49ers and end up as the 4 seed. Giants are the 5 seed no matter what.

Lets move on from discussing the Giants match up!!!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We can beat the Giants, we'd probably be around a TD favorite at home against them.

I still think we can beat GB. I don't see us losing twice in one year to them. Big time revenge game against them if we played them. I'd expect to be favored by a field goal or a little more if we played them at home.

Hawks46

Reaction score
There isn't any team that strikes "fear" into me. I don't fear any teams because I honestly lost a lot of expectations from the GB game and it hasn't gotten any better going forward.

We've seen how the Seahawks handle teams with great DL's. Be expected to see us score 6-10 points against the Giants. We'll give up one big play to Beckham as we don't have legitimate safety help over the top.

We haven't shown any indicators that we've fixed the issues we had at GB. They're not playing any worse and are pretty healthy, while we've lost key contributors. On top of that, we'd be facing their best pass rusher who will own either of our Tackles.

I'm just being realistic. There are trends (I won't get into for the sake of brevity) but I'm honestly not over reacting to one loss here. These are season long trends that are actually worsening as the season goes on, where we typically correct those issue in years past.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawks46":226thc2c said:
There isn't any team that strikes "fear" into me. I don't fear any teams because I honestly lost a lot of expectations from the GB game and it hasn't gotten any better going forward..

After Saturday they all strike fear into me.

Maybe we squeak out a home win in the Divisional Round, but IMO this team isn't capable of going on the road and winning in the playoffs.

If I had to pick, I'd want to play the Lions, Skins or Falcons at this point. Mainly because none of them have a strong front 7, which is obviously our Achilles heal.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Fear no team.

Bring em in on wildcard weekend and the Hawks will knock em down.

zchurch74

Reaction score
Can we please stop with the, "we can beat anyone in our house"? We just lost to a bear up cardinals team. Yes we have an advantage but we lost last year at home in which we gave up yet another 4th quarter lead

Odell wiĺ burn up our secondary without Earl Rodgers is playing reaĺy good the lions have a good defense. All these teams will be very tough no matter what.

We need a comfortable win on Sunday with no injuries. Let's wait and see how the chips fall and go from there.

If I had to answer then GB, not a very good pass rush and receiving core is not elite except Nelson.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
What people on .NET don't recognize is that the rest of the NFL has problems just like us. The only team that has had a great all around season is the Cowboys. Other than that, we are like everyone else. We've had our ups and downs. We will be favored in any game at the Clink, we will have a chance in any road game. It's not like there are really great teams in the NFC this year.

I've said it before, but I like our chances of making the SB more than last season. Last years Seahawks were better, but the competition this year is much weaker.