Offensive Line Follies -- Telling GIF's from the Cards Game

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
My apologies first of all if this has already been posted. I heard about these a couple of days ago, but just got around to looking at them. They say a picture tells a 1000 words, and these GIF's most certainly tell the story of where this Seahawks Offensive Line is at ...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Mike/status/814483546488393728[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Mike/status/814484208295038977[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Mike/status/814485616666742784[/tweet]

As my Norwegian grandmother used to say ... Uff-Da! [Shaking my head in disgust]

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Oh brother...................

Also:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BR_DougFarrar/status/814889241263996928[/tweet]

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2un55w2k said:

Also:

No kidding. Especially on that last GIF -- the toss sweep to Rawls, what in the world is he thinking?? If he simply gets in front of Peters there, I think that play has a decent chance of gaining positive yardage.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":x4cqhnya said:
Blitzer88":x4cqhnya said:

Also:

No kidding. Especially on that last GIF -- the toss sweep to Rawls, what in the world is he thinking?? If he simply gets in front of Peters there, I think that play has a decent chance of gaining positive yardage.

The entire right side of the line whiffs on any block.
Glow goes to find block while Reese and Britt are supposed to get the inside guys and it looks like Britt gets double teamed with Reece's anemic input.

How can so much stupid happen on one running play. Again Fant seems to be the only one gets an effective block on anyone and that guy is purposefully playing contain.

mrt144

Reaction score
Ifedi is like a worse Sweezy, if you can imagine.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
To me this shows poor coaching. That Ifedi gif shows a player uncomfortable with the ZBS. Very few of those were physical man-handlings, they were players afraid of making a mistake and in the process of that... making a mistake. This should be drilled into these players by now. These breakdowns in communication are inexcusable.

Couple that with the ridiculous propensity our OL has to cut and you have a garbage line.

Running the ZBS seems anathema to our drafting strategy. We take players with high physical measurables and mould them into an offensive lineman. With all the change most our OL personnel are already going through the last thing they need is a complex blocking scheme. Take players with high measurables and plug them into a power blocking scheme. Line up and have our horses knock their horses off the line. Enough with the cuts and angle-based execution.

Foghawk

Reaction score
There are many more GIF's available out there for those that care to see just how truly horrid the OL was in the 1st half of the game. It's hard to comprehend how an NFL OL can be that bad.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I don't know guys...is there a chance Pete looks at a new oline coach in the offseason? Not sure Cable is getting through to these guys. I mean, we just need slightly more competent play here...it's not like we're looking for a huge improvement. And yet we get this...good god. :177692:

Largent80

Reaction score
Kinda fed up with the zone blocking system myself, especially with this group of "players".

Cable can hit the streets, tired of having a crap o line year after year.

mrt144

Reaction score
Largent80":3f9htlpw said:
Kinda fed up with the zone blocking system myself, especially with this group of "players".

Cable can hit the streets, tired of having a crap o line year after year.

A crap line that seemingly gets worse year after year.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
wow interesting to see how bad it is looking from the back as opposed to the tv shots. What is Ifedi thinking? Wish we drafted Derrick Henry.

iigakusei

Reaction score
That last Gif is a screamer. What is Ifedi doing? Hahahahaha

mrt144

Reaction score
iigakusei":34979t3e said:
That last Gif is a screamer. What is Ifedi doing? Hahahahaha

Trying to remind us of the very worst from JR Sweezy

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I was reading an article that said the Broncos can opt out on Okung after one year. If it happens, do we......? I know he had his issues with us too, mostly staying healthy, but a veteran in the mix could help things.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is coaching. Point blank. These guys don't know what they're doing. You can chalk it up to execution - but these guys are not executing because of mental errors, and that's on coaching no matter what. If it's the player being dumb, yank them and get a mentally competent player in there. If it's the coach being an ineffective teacher, fire the damn coach.

I've been a Cable cheerleader for a long time and I haven't been a fire Bevell extremist, either - but this is not working. Bevell I'm not as opinionated about, but I think Cable's welcome is wearing thin. Not only is he apparently a completely ineffective teacher to these raw linemen, but he is a supreme waster of our draft capital. The only one who has worked is Britt, and that's after he was horrendous for two seasons at two different spots.

Hell, hire Walter as an assistant to groom the tackles and throw heavy money at a decent ZBS guru if we're truly committed to zone blocking.

I really don't think Cable is going anywhere. He's the assistant HC. But I would LOVE to see us go all-in on a guy who knows what he's doing and start fresh on the offensive line, other than Britt.

EDIT: if Denver opts out on Okung, I'd love to re-sign him, but we will certainly be outbid. What this team needs is another great draft. Best case scenario would be to trade up to mid teens for a rock solid tackle, and have a great backend of the draft like we used to.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

mrt144

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/guga31bb/status/814508187961425920[/tweet]
This is Ifedi being dominant against the Rams

SHOCKER315

Reaction score
Cable is not the problem!!

The gifs clearly show the Oline blocking their "zones" just as they are taught to do. The problem is those undisciplined Cardinals aren't in their correct zones! Can't blame Cable or the Oline for that!

But don't worry guys, help is around the corner... I hear Cable has convinced the Hawks to bring in Kevin Love, Draymond Green, and Serge Ibaka for try outs next year. In addition, there are some great defensive tackles in the draft which would fit perfectly in Cables developmental style. After Cable has trained them up to be adequate NFL lineman (in a few seasons), we can let them walk to other teams so they have to pay the typical Olinemans' salary. Ha Ha... Suckers!!

Meanwhile we can simply draft unproven D-lineman and basketball players and pay them a pittance. Once RW fully heals from his freak injuries (that no one could have predicted), they won't need to block anyway. Russell can easily cartwheel out of any 4 man rush.. so long as the RB's, WR, and TE are chip blocking. So in the end it doesn't really matter.

Don't worry, just trust the process. It brilliant! ;)