Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Seahawks biggest draft bust

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Seahawks biggest draft bust
Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:37 pm
  • It's that time of the year to discuss bests and busts so...... Who do you think our biggest bust pick ever was and why. Unfortunately there are many to choose from so think and pick wisely.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Re: Seahawks biggest draft bust
Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:39 pm
  • Aaron Curry. See his career.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:48 pm
  • Not sure who would be the biggest but here are the contenders in my opinion....

Dan McGwire
    Rick Mirer
    Kelly Stouffer (they didn't draft him but traded a first round, 5th rd picks, and HOF Kenny Easley for him)
    Owen Gill
    Tommy Kane
    Doug Thomas
    Lamar King
    Jerramy Stevens
    Kelly Jennings
    Christine Michael
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:56 pm
  • From a potential perspective Koren Robinson was a big time bust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    90% Disabled Veteran
    100% Love for the USA!
    KPA
    NET Starter

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:03 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Not sure who would be the biggest but here are the contenders in my opinion....

Dan McGwire
    Rick Mirer
    Kelly Stouffer (they didn't draft him but traded a first round, 5th rd picks, and HOF Kenny Easley for him)
    Owen Gill
    Tommy Kane
    Doug Thomas
    Lamar King
    Jerramy Stevens
    Kelly Jennings
    Christine Michael

On your first three I would say:
    McGwire was not only terrible but we passed on Favre for him
    Stouffer was just horrible
    Mirer was somewhat serviceable but the one thing he has in his favor was that we absolutely stole a first round pick from the Bears for him and I believe worked a deal with the Raiders to pick Walt with that pick and another.

The others are all bad but if I had to pick one it would be either McGwire or Stouffer.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:31 pm
  • Owen Gill. He never even made the final roster. 2nd rounder 1st pick of our draft that season.

Rick Mirer gets a pass. He had a pretty good rookie year and was absolutely pummeled his time here. I bet he still hears footsteps in his sleep.
    Boohman14
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:35 pm
  • Bosworth.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:37 pm
  • Curry was pretty worthless .
    Kelly stouffer at least had that play where he fell down and got up and hucked a td.
    Tommy Kane I don't remember , I musta been living in Arizona back in the days before cable and internet.
    That's a rough bunch of yahoos to choose from but since I bought that numbnutz jersey it's all aaron curry for me
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    hawxfreak
    NET Starter

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:42 pm
  • Aaron Curry who was drafted fourth overall. Not only is he our biggest draft bust, he's Got to be in the Top 10 draft busts of all time. He was the unianmous top player in that years draft and his career came and went.

His saving grace is that the 2009 draft was pretty lackluster.
    Last edited by Steve2222 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:44 pm
  • The top three draft busts in Seahawk history have to:

#3 - Chris McIntosh - OL #22 pick first round. Played part of one season, career cut short by injury after rookie year. You want your first rounders to at least be a solid back-up, if not starter. Not out of the league in a year.
    #2 - Dan McGwire - QB #16 pick first round. Considered a big reach at the time, played 4 seasons for the Seahawks, mostly as 3rd string. Started 3 games in 1994, ended up with a passer rating of 60.7. Had no business being a first round pick, and had a career to back this up
    #1 - Aaron Curry - OLB #4 pick first round. Curry should still be in the league - at least with his talent and measurables. You expect an OLB drafted 4 overall to end up with a can't-miss hall of fame career. Curry signed the highest non-quarterback contract at the time - 6 year, $60 million. With that high of a pick, you would expect considerably more from player. At least with Rick Mirer, we were able to recover a first round pick in a trade with the Bears.
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:55 pm
  • The Hawks have had many draft busts but none bigger than Owen Gill. A second round draft choice who essentially was not a NFL caliber player. Cut before the season started. Huge disappointment. Dan McQuire was also a non NFL player but did play a few seasons and with the right coaching could have been a decent backup QB and better yet been converted to TE.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:02 pm
  • seabowl wrote:It's that time of the year to discuss bests and busts so...... Who do you think our biggest bust pick ever was and why. Unfortunately there are many to choose from so think and pick wisely.

I understand where you're coming from, BUTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, THE BIGEST BUST of the Seahawks Drafts have NOT HAPPENED under the Pete Carroll John Schneider era. ;)
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:25 pm
  • You can't blame a player whose career was cut short due to injury. The play has no control over that. So McIntosh gets a pass.

Also Tommy Kane? The dude was a 3rd round pick. Can a 3rd round pick be a bust?

Aaron Curry. He was an automatic bust when they drafted him in the top 5. In order for a top 5 4-3 OLB to be worth it, they would have to be Derrick Brooks and Brooks was picked with the second to last pick in the first round. To think the team could have had Brian Orakpo. At least they drafted Max Unger in the second round.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:45 pm
  • I know it's recent, and so easy picking, but I've gotta go with Curry.

I still remember sitting in a Saturday class, tracking the draft of my phone, and praying we didn't blow the #4 (FOUR!) on him. When his name popped up, I turned my phone off, slumped down in my seat, and missed an entire lecture, I was so pissed off and depressed.

That pick pretty much got Ruskell fired, and certainly didn't help Mora's case to stick around. He was appraised as a can't-fail pick and bombed so spectacularly, it really punctuated the end of era. We've whiffed on a handful of players, like any team, but the fallout from Curry was so radioactive, it has to make him number one of our all-time busts.
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:04 pm
  • Aaron Curry has got to be the winner eventhough he should have never be drafted that high. You also have throw Mirer in there, drafted 2 overall and best year was his rookie year where he had twice as many picks as td's if I remember right.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:13 pm
  • Not this biggest bust in Hawks history, but Ken Hamlin was a disappointment. First couple years were great, then he fizzled.

Seemed like after the nightclub incident he was never the same here.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:00 pm
  • Heres what the times says....

http://projects.seattletimes.com/2015/s ... ts/bottom/

I had forgotten about Lamar King.

Although not a bust, after watching a 30 for 30 and learning we could have had Elway rips at my gut a little.
    Now a guppy driver. Loving the Hawks with my bro Nanomoz for over 30 years
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:12 am
  • The Dan McGwire story gets worse because former owner Ken Behring overruled Chuck Knox and the infinitely more knowledgeable football staff who favored Brett Favre as the better QB prospect to draft.
    Fan since team Est. 1976
    Winner of 2013 and 2015 .net annual draft contests
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:31 am
  • 1. Owen GIll
    2. Andre Hines
    3. Aaron Curry
    4. Dan McGuire
    5. Tie - Darryl Tapp, Lawrence Jackson

Marcus Tubbs' career was a disappointment, but that was just the damned bad luck of injury.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:57 am
  • BlueTalon wrote:1. Owen GIll
    2. Andre Hines
    3. Aaron Curry
    4. Dan McGuire
    5. Tie - Darryl Tapp, Lawrence Jackson

Marcus Tubbs' career was a disappointment, but that was just the damned bad luck of injury.

Darryl Tapp should not be on this list. He was at the very least decent and I believe we got Clemons and a pick (Kam?) for him.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:58 am
  • We can probably throw Ike Charlton in there too.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:59 am

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:15 am
  • Ahh, you guys are too damn young.

The worst draft choice EVER by the Seahawks is without a doubt Andre Hines, an offensive tackle out of Stanford. In 1980, we selected him in the 2nd round, #44 overall. He was so bad that a rumor started that we drafted him by mistake, getting him mixed up with one of his OL teammates from Stanford. Here's what Jack Patera had to say about Owens:

"He was absolutely terrible", former Seahawks coach Jack Patera said. "Our scouting department said that this guy was going to play 10 years. He had no intestinal fortitude. He couldn't push himself to do anything. I don't know if he could run down the field and throw a block because he never did. He was in worse shape than I was (Patera at the time was at least 50 pounds overweight)".

Hines took part in 9 games and was out of the league after his first season. The only reason to argue that he wasn't the biggest bust in team history is that we spent "just" a 2nd rounder on this guy.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:42 am
  • In my time of being a Hawks fan (mid 80's until now) the search was always on for a franchise QB until Hasselbeck arrived. So passing on Brett Favre for Dan McGwire has to be number 1. Close second is Aaron Curry
    Sparkchaser737
    NET Rookie

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:06 am
  • RiverDog wrote:Ahh, you guys are too damn young.

The worst draft choice EVER by the Seahawks is without a doubt Andre Hines, an offensive tackle out of Stanford. In 1980, we selected him in the 2nd round, #44 overall. He was so bad that a rumor started that we drafted him by mistake, getting him mixed up with one of his OL teammates from Stanford. Here's what Jack Patera had to say about Owens:

"He was absolutely terrible", former Seahawks coach Jack Patera said. "Our scouting department said that this guy was going to play 10 years. He had no intestinal fortitude. He couldn't push himself to do anything. I don't know if he could run down the field and throw a block because he never did. He was in worse shape than I was (Patera at the time was at least 50 pounds overweight)".

Hines took part in 9 games and was out of the league after his first season. The only reason to argue that he wasn't the biggest bust in team history is that we spent "just" a 2nd rounder on this guy.

^This.
    When defining "draft bust", one must first determine what constitutes a bust. I personally don't think Curry, Mirer, Tapp, Jackson or some of the other names mentioned are "draft busts". To truly be a bust, a player would have to have almost no playing time, impact or draft return. Curry is not really a draft bust under this criteria simply because he played and started for a couple of years and netted a draft pick upon trade. Mirer had a fairly good rookie year and also started a number of games and netted a #1 pick in return. Tapp played and started and returned draft capital. Jackson also started. Are these guys "draft busts" or merely draft disappointments? Too many fans think that if a 1st or 2nd pick isn't a dominant perennial all pro then he is a bust. IMO, the two biggest busts are Hines and Owen Gill. When you draft a guy who can't even make the team as a rookie then that is the definition of "draft bust".
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:46 am
  • oldhawkfan wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:Ahh, you guys are too damn young.

^This.
    When defining "draft bust", one must first determine what constitutes a bust. I personally don't think Curry, Mirer, Tapp, Jackson or some of the other names mentioned are "draft busts". To truly be a bust, a player would have to have almost no playing time, impact or draft return. Curry is not really a draft bust under this criteria simply because he played and started for a couple of years and netted a draft pick upon trade. Mirer had a fairly good rookie year and also started a number of games and netted a #1 pick in return. Tapp played and started and returned draft capital. Jackson also started. Are these guys "draft busts" or merely draft disappointments? Too many fans think that if a 1st or 2nd pick isn't a dominant perennial all pro then he is a bust. IMO, the two biggest busts are Hines and Owen Gill. When you draft a guy who can't even make the team as a rookie then that is the definition of "draft bust".

Draft opportunity cost matters for most people's definition though.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:59 am
  • oldhawkfan wrote:

^This.

I remember this now , but had totally forgotten. I choose to subscribe to the urban legend that we drafted the wrong guy, sounds better that way :D . Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Awesome!
    Now a guppy driver. Loving the Hawks with my bro Nanomoz for over 30 years
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:03 am
  • Gotta be Mirer right? QB, 2nd overall, big expectations. Doesn't get more busty than that without being on a Ryan Leaf-esque level.

Curry is definitely a close 2nd. I remember Kiper telling us all after he was picked that he was the only can't miss great player lock of the entire first round.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:24 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Gotta be Mirer right? QB, 2nd overall, big expectations. Doesn't get more busty than that without being on a Ryan Leaf-esque level.

Curry is definitely a close 2nd. I remember Kiper telling us all after he was picked that he was the only can't miss great player lock of the entire first round.

I have a hard time voting for Mirer though. We got bailed out by Chicago with a 1st round pick.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:13 pm
  • Seriously? No Tharold Simon?? This guy was talked/hyped a lot, but resulted in nothing.
    L.O.B.
    raisethe3
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:51 pm
  • raisethe3 wrote:Seriously? No Tharold Simon?? This guy was talked/hyped a lot, but resulted in nothing.

Dude had 87 trips to the IR, that's something.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:10 pm
  • Curry taken 4th because you have to consider all the other players you could have had instead (basically everyone)

You also have to consider the dollars being such a huge issue in recent years
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:56 pm

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:16 pm
  • Not sure about bust, but the biggest drafting mistake was taking passing on the opportunity to draft Ed Reed, then taking Jerramy Stevens.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:39 pm
  • Two more:

Steve August (passed on Dorsett)
    Curt Warner (loved him but we passed on Dickerson)
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:44 pm
  • seabowl wrote:Two more:

Dickerson was the second overall pick, Warner was third overall.
    blkhwk
    NET Starter

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:45 pm

We didn't exactly "pass" on Dorsett. There was no way that he was going to play for us, so we traded the pick to Dallas.

You can't call Curt Warner a bust. He was dynamite in his rookie season, better than Dickinson IMO, absolutely key in what was our only season that yielded a trip to a conference championship game for the first 28 years of our franchise history. Even after his injury, he still returned to contribute, but not nearly at the same level.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:56 pm

Technically I guess you can say we passed on Dorsett, but we traded the pick to Dallas, and received players and picks in return - wish they received more, but I believe they moved from #2 down to #14 in exchange we received 3 2nd round picks....wish they received more, but Dorsett had insisted he would not play for the Seahawks.

Curt Warner was selected #3 overall in the 1983 draft, after moving up in a trade with the Oilers. The Oilers had the "native" #2 pick, but traded down with the Oilers so they could secure Dickerson - by giving up 2 fourth rounders. The Seahawks moved up from 9th that year - trading their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks to move up to #3.

The Seahawks were never in a position to draft Dickerson
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:46 pm
  • How did this turn from busts to players picked you wanted someone else thread looking back in hindsight?

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:45 pm
  • getnasty wrote:Aaron Curry has got to be the winner eventhough he should have never be drafted that high.

Easy to say in hindisght, but at the time he was a home run pick and the consensus safest pick in the entire draft. People were talking about him as the safest pick to come out in years.

TBF he was the first person I thought of, just because he was such a can't miss prospect when the Hawks took him (also I think a top 5 pick who totally busts just blows anyone else who busts out of the water).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:36 pm
  • RiverDog wrote:Ahh, you guys are too damn young.

sorry, but 2nd rounders come and go in this league, past and present, so often that it makes the draft beatniks as reliable and laughable in retrospect as a local weatherman.

but completely and utterly missing on a #4 overall pick the way the team pissed away the Curry pick reigns supreme in this discussion. and it wasn't just his lack of an efficient nfl career, I don't remember the guy ever having an efficient nfl game.

remember when trivia: the 2009 draft also was the draft when johnny knox was picked up by Chicago in the 5th round. anyone remember the bears vs seahawks game when there was a loose ball on the field and he tried to scoop it up and was literally bent backwards? ended his career, and the guy was quite an electric player. IIRC he had just came off a pro bowl year as a returner/receiver type.
    Optimus25
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:55 am
  • Boohman14 wrote:Owen Gill. He never even made the final roster. 2nd rounder 1st pick of our draft that season.

Rick Mirer gets a pass. He had a pretty good rookie year and was absolutely pummeled his time here. I bet he still hears footsteps in his sleep.

I agree. Nobody short of Russell Wilson would have survived that pounding (Mirer) with psyche intact.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:56 am
  • Thank Ken Behring for GelBLAUGH. He forced that guy on Knox.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:04 am
  • rjdriver wrote:
    oldhawkfan wrote:

^This.

I remember this now , but had totally forgotten. I choose to subscribe to the urban legend that we drafted the wrong guy, sounds better that way :D . Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Awesome!

The notion that we had selected Hines by mistake was pretty well refuted by Patera and John Thompson, the GM at the time. Nevertheless, the rumor continued to circulate. The ironic thing was that in that same draft, we selected what was arguably one of our two best and most productive picks of the 1980's in Jacob Green (the other being Kenny Easley).
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:15 am
  • mikeak wrote:Curry taken 4th because you have to consider all the other players you could have had instead (basically everyone)

You also have to consider the dollars being such a huge issue in recent years

As I recall, the draft we took Curry in was filled with lemons, at least at the top. There were a lot of rumors that we were going to select Mark Sanchez, who was snapped up by the Jets right after us. Jason Smith, the #2 overall taken by the Rams, was beat out by a rookie the following season and was no more productive than Curry.

Everyone remembers Brian Bosworth because without a doubt he was the most heralded #1 pick in team history and with his Mohawk haircut and stunts like arriving at practice in a helicopter, he made the biggest initial public relations splash. But he did play relatively well and contributed for several years before he was diagnosed with a degenerative shoulder problem, and was rumored to have known about the condition before he signed his guaranteed contract.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:36 am
  • Dan MCGuire.

That guy caused the departure of Kreig before we had a replacement, missed opportunity for Farve who Knox wanted, and disrupted an additional first round in 1993 when we had to burn another first round pick on his replacement because he was so bad.

That pick can legitimately be blamed for costing us most of the 1990's, where we were foundering trying to find a QB and missing out on exploiting such freakishly good talent we had through our hands in the 90's.
    ChiefHawk
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:00 pm
  • How could anyone say Daryl Tapp? Lmao he was the 63 overall pick. I don't really consider any player picked outside of the first round eligible. Not only that, he was pretty solid for us for a few years and is still active on an NFL roster. He was drafted in 2006. Pretty decent career.

Stop overthinking it. Aaron Curry, #4 overall, who we traded away after three years, and was entirely out of the league in five years after getting drafted, is their biggest bust. He was an OLB. Usually a position that has some longevity. Over such positions like QB, HB, OL. He wasn't even good enough to become a journeyman in the NFL. After being the #4 overall pick!

I'd really like to see the list of Top 5 picks who lasted only 5 years in the league, not counting a career ending injury.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:30 pm
  • Aaron Curry. Jim Mora Jr bought into his "safe pick" status and went with it. Terrible player.
    Only good thing that came out of that draft from Mora Jr was the trading of our 2nd round pick to Denver for their 1st rounder the following year, whom Seattle used to pick Earl Thomas
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:46 pm
  • raisethe3 wrote:Seriously? No Tharold Simon?? This guy was talked/hyped a lot, but resulted in nothing.

The thread title is Seahawks biggest draft bust.

Simon was a 5th round draft pick.

5th.

It's extremely common for guys taken in the mid to late rounds to not make it in the NFL. How could a guy taken in the 5th round be even remotely in the conversation for biggest draft bust?
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:17 pm
  • King Dog wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Gotta be Mirer right? QB, 2nd overall, big expectations. Doesn't get more busty than that without being on a Ryan Leaf-esque level.

I have a hard time voting for Mirer though. We got bailed out by Chicago with a 1st round pick.

He also had a pretty good rookie year. Broke all-time NFL rookie records for attempts, completions and yards which stood until they were broken by Peyton Manning. He was also offensive rookie of the year runner up.

Dan McGwire, while not taken quite as high as Mirer, was still a 1st round pick and did absolutely nothing in the NFL. IMO, he is a bigger bust than Mirer and to me, it's not really that close.

But I gotta go with Curry as the biggest draft bust. Quality LBs are found all throughout the draft and even as UDFAs. The guy was the #4 overall pick and turned out to be a below average LB in the NFL. The vast majority of people thought he was destined for greatness but he only made it a few years in the league. And if we're being honest, the only reason he made it that long is because of where he was picked in the draft. If he hadn't been a high 1st round draft pick, I wonder if he even would have made an NFL roster.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information