Seahawks biggest draft bust

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
We can probably throw Ike Charlton in there too.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Ahh, you guys are too damn young.

The worst draft choice EVER by the Seahawks is without a doubt Andre Hines, an offensive tackle out of Stanford. In 1980, we selected him in the 2nd round, #44 overall. He was so bad that a rumor started that we drafted him by mistake, getting him mixed up with one of his OL teammates from Stanford. Here's what Jack Patera had to say about Owens:

"He was absolutely terrible", former Seahawks coach Jack Patera said. "Our scouting department said that this guy was going to play 10 years. He had no intestinal fortitude. He couldn't push himself to do anything. I don't know if he could run down the field and throw a block because he never did. He was in worse shape than I was (Patera at the time was at least 50 pounds overweight)".

Hines took part in 9 games and was out of the league after his first season. The only reason to argue that he wasn't the biggest bust in team history is that we spent "just" a 2nd rounder on this guy.

Sparkchaser737

Reaction score
In my time of being a Hawks fan (mid 80's until now) the search was always on for a franchise QB until Hasselbeck arrived. So passing on Brett Favre for Dan McGwire has to be number 1. Close second is Aaron Curry

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
RiverDog":1ti7tgee said:

The worst draft choice EVER by the Seahawks is without a doubt Andre Hines, an offensive tackle out of Stanford. In 1980, we selected him in the 2nd round, #44 overall. He was so bad that a rumor started that we drafted him by mistake, getting him mixed up with one of his OL teammates from Stanford. Here's what Jack Patera had to say about Owens:

"He was absolutely terrible", former Seahawks coach Jack Patera said. "Our scouting department said that this guy was going to play 10 years. He had no intestinal fortitude. He couldn't push himself to do anything. I don't know if he could run down the field and throw a block because he never did. He was in worse shape than I was (Patera at the time was at least 50 pounds overweight)".

Hines took part in 9 games and was out of the league after his first season. The only reason to argue that he wasn't the biggest bust in team history is that we spent "just" a 2nd rounder on this guy.

^This.
When defining "draft bust", one must first determine what constitutes a bust. I personally don't think Curry, Mirer, Tapp, Jackson or some of the other names mentioned are "draft busts". To truly be a bust, a player would have to have almost no playing time, impact or draft return. Curry is not really a draft bust under this criteria simply because he played and started for a couple of years and netted a draft pick upon trade. Mirer had a fairly good rookie year and also started a number of games and netted a #1 pick in return. Tapp played and started and returned draft capital. Jackson also started. Are these guys "draft busts" or merely draft disappointments? Too many fans think that if a 1st or 2nd pick isn't a dominant perennial all pro then he is a bust. IMO, the two biggest busts are Hines and Owen Gill. When you draft a guy who can't even make the team as a rookie then that is the definition of "draft bust".

mrt144

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3ovehrfd said:
RiverDog":3ovehrfd said:

^This.
When defining "draft bust", one must first determine what constitutes a bust. I personally don't think Curry, Mirer, Tapp, Jackson or some of the other names mentioned are "draft busts". To truly be a bust, a player would have to have almost no playing time, impact or draft return. Curry is not really a draft bust under this criteria simply because he played and started for a couple of years and netted a draft pick upon trade. Mirer had a fairly good rookie year and also started a number of games and netted a #1 pick in return. Tapp played and started and returned draft capital. Jackson also started. Are these guys "draft busts" or merely draft disappointments? Too many fans think that if a 1st or 2nd pick isn't a dominant perennial all pro then he is a bust. IMO, the two biggest busts are Hines and Owen Gill. When you draft a guy who can't even make the team as a rookie then that is the definition of "draft bust".

Draft opportunity cost matters for most people's definition though.

rjdriver

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3ou1lqjx said:
RiverDog":3ou1lqjx said:

^This.

I remember this now , but had totally forgotten. I choose to subscribe to the urban legend that we drafted the wrong guy, sounds better that way :D . Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Awesome!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Gotta be Mirer right? QB, 2nd overall, big expectations. Doesn't get more busty than that without being on a Ryan Leaf-esque level.

Curry is definitely a close 2nd. I remember Kiper telling us all after he was picked that he was the only can't miss great player lock of the entire first round.

King Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vppdo4v said:
Gotta be Mirer right? QB, 2nd overall, big expectations. Doesn't get more busty than that without being on a Ryan Leaf-esque level.

Curry is definitely a close 2nd. I remember Kiper telling us all after he was picked that he was the only can't miss great player lock of the entire first round.

I have a hard time voting for Mirer though. We got bailed out by Chicago with a 1st round pick.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Seriously? No Tharold Simon?? This guy was talked/hyped a lot, but resulted in nothing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
raisethe3":32y9ydyb said:
Seriously? No Tharold Simon?? This guy was talked/hyped a lot, but resulted in nothing.

Dude had 87 trips to the IR, that's something.

mikeak

Reaction score
Curry taken 4th because you have to consider all the other players you could have had instead (basically everyone)

You also have to consider the dollars being such a huge issue in recent years

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Not sure about bust, but the biggest drafting mistake was taking passing on the opportunity to draft Ed Reed, then taking Jerramy Stevens.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Two more:

Steve August (passed on Dorsett)
Curt Warner (loved him but we passed on Dickerson)

blkhwk

Reaction score
seabowl":16nnevzt said:
Two more:

Dickerson was the second overall pick, Warner was third overall.

RiverDog

Reaction score
seabowl":xonux3cq said:
Two more:

We didn't exactly "pass" on Dorsett. There was no way that he was going to play for us, so we traded the pick to Dallas.

You can't call Curt Warner a bust. He was dynamite in his rookie season, better than Dickinson IMO, absolutely key in what was our only season that yielded a trip to a conference championship game for the first 28 years of our franchise history. Even after his injury, he still returned to contribute, but not nearly at the same level.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
seabowl":s0wefdth said:
Two more:

Technically I guess you can say we passed on Dorsett, but we traded the pick to Dallas, and received players and picks in return - wish they received more, but I believe they moved from #2 down to #14 in exchange we received 3 2nd round picks....wish they received more, but Dorsett had insisted he would not play for the Seahawks.

Curt Warner was selected #3 overall in the 1983 draft, after moving up in a trade with the Oilers. The Oilers had the "native" #2 pick, but traded down with the Oilers so they could secure Dickerson - by giving up 2 fourth rounders. The Seahawks moved up from 9th that year - trading their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks to move up to #3.

The Seahawks were never in a position to draft Dickerson

chris98251

Reaction score
How did this turn from busts to players picked you wanted someone else thread looking back in hindsight?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
getnasty":2ex0t2kg said:
Aaron Curry has got to be the winner eventhough he should have never be drafted that high.

Easy to say in hindisght, but at the time he was a home run pick and the consensus safest pick in the entire draft. People were talking about him as the safest pick to come out in years.

TBF he was the first person I thought of, just because he was such a can't miss prospect when the Hawks took him (also I think a top 5 pick who totally busts just blows anyone else who busts out of the water).