Seahawks sign OG Oday Aboushi

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Seahawks sign OG Oday Aboushi
Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:40 pm
  • Per Aaron Wilson

Former Texans guard Oday Aboushi signed a one-year contract with the Seahawks, according to a source
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

Re: Seahawks sign OG Oday Aboushi
Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:43 pm

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:44 pm
  • Wow...the Seahawks have been very active this offseason. I haven't seen this much activity since Pete/John's first season in Seattle. They are not signing high priced guys but getting a lot of guys...competition and depth type of signings mostly.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:53 pm
  • Clearly they are adding competition to some problem areas and in a way that doesn't commit long term dollars to folks. It's low risk/high reward.

I am really interested to see how they juggle the OL pieces together, especially if they add someone like Clady to the mix who strictly is a LT.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:59 pm
  • 25 years young

Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:09 pm
  • I like it. I would like Clady more though.
    nash72
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:54 pm
  • Clady really wasn't good last year even when healthy, which he's struggled with lately. If they didn't sign him I'd say there's a good reason.

Interesting that they've been looking at and picking up guards though.
    Danger Zone
    Archer
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:01 pm
  • Archer wrote:Clady really wasn't good last year even when healthy, which he's struggled with lately. If they didn't sign him I'd say there's a good reason.

Interesting that they've been looking at and picking up guards though.

Well, if you're really trying to improve the running game, guards are probably more valuable than tackles. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:07 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:10 pm
  • He was a left tackle in college, whose to say he is strictly a guard. This guy might be a pain in the butt though getting a substance violation and let go by two teams in three years despite being a cheap starter. If he doesn't get popped for weed again it appears to be a very solid signing.
    naholmes
    NET Rookie

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:52 pm
  • Liked Aboushi coming out as he reminded me of Breno, while he hasn't played well in terms of teams committing to him, he has starting exp, exp on teams that have high priorities in establishing quality Running Games with the Jets and Texans.
    WE ALL WE GOT, WE ALL WE NEED!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:00 pm
  • I'm so cynical now my checklist looks like this:

Did Cable want the player? If yes he sucks.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:09 pm
  • Any veteran O-Line help with starting experience is welcome, especially if they don't suck. Not sure if this is the case, or not. But at least he isn't a converted D-line or basketball player. That is a positive in itself!
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:16 pm
  • kf3339 wrote:Any veteran O-Line help with starting experience is welcome, especially if they don't suck. Not sure if this is the case, or not. But at least he isn't a converted D-line or basketball player. That is a positive in itself!

Exactly. Anything is an upgrade at this point.
    nash72
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:26 pm
  • This is exactly what I was hoping for going into the off season. Churning the roster for depth and hoping to find potential starters. Bring a bunch of people in who at one point have started in the NFL or have shown the ability to play at that level and let everyone fight it out for a roster spot. O-line seems to be one group being churned, same with RB. Defense clearly will be a heavy focus in the draft.

Good stuff.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:51 pm
  • Here was his NFL.com combine profile heading into the 2013 Draft ...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/oday-aboushi?id=2539331

Good overall measureables ... 6'5" 308 lbs ... HUGE hands (10 5/8") ... and nice wingspan (33 7/8"). I'd say there's potential there, as it sounds like he's got some skill as a run blocker. To land a guy like this who's only 25 years old ... and get him at a rock bottom price? Very nice work there Mr. Schneider. Very nice work. :2thumbs:
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:59 pm
  • I like this signing because of his versatility he can play guard or tackle plus he played for run based teams the jets and Texans. Very aggressive according to his bio I think he Pushes Glow for his job.
    bighawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:14 pm
  • What are his old team's fans saying about him?
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:44 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Seahawks spending some green on St. Patty's day!! :irishdrinkers:

On a guy named O'day :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:58 pm
  • I've seen PFF grade him positively multiple times. I'm excited about this signing. I'm thinking he'll earn a spot.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:59 pm
  • PRO: His versatility and experience would allow him to play both guard and tackle positions. He might even be a good fit as a backup center if he took reps there. Solid run blocker, plays with nasty, and seems to relish in pancaking his opponent.

CON: Slow-footed plodder who has struggled a lot in pass pro throughout his career.
    hawknation2017
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:04 pm
  • Just another body. This fits the Seahawks mold for offensive linemen...can play multiple positions, but not one of them well.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:10 pm
  • hawknation2017 wrote:PRO: His versatility and experience would allow him to play both guard and tackle positions. He might even be a good fit as a backup center if he took reps there. Solid run blocker, plays with nasty, and seems to relish in pancaking his opponent.

CON: Slow-footed plodder who has struggled a lot in pass pro throughout his career.

He's hard to get a read on, if PFF grades are any sort of indicator.

I really enjoy this signing. He's definitely one of our top-5 linemen talent and production wise. Plays nasty.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:25 pm
  • endzorn wrote:Just another body. This fits the Seahawks mold for offensive linemen...can play multiple positions, but not one of them well.

Versatility is in short supply at the moment, so this guy could give them competition for that utility role. Odhiambo has struggled to adapt to anything more than LT. And Fant is as position limited as it gets (also LT). Gilliam has decent versatility, but he may be needed at RT (unless they draft a RT, as I expect).
    hawknation2017
    NET Starter

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:06 am
  • If he has not played in a ZBS and we continue to use it most the grades don't matter, everything he knows changes.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:40 am
  • chris98251 wrote:If he has not played in a ZBS and we continue to use it most the grades don't matter, everything he knows changes.

As horribly as we ran it last year, that may not make any difference. 8)
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 am
  • Couple interesting reads on him. And yes, he did get cited by the cops for pot. Definitely could bring the Brenno additude that we had hoped for with Sowell. I can't imagine that Gilliam comes back next year. Gilliam = soft.

Aboushi I think is banged up with a foot injury but I agree, if healthy he should be starting or at the very least be on the active roster considering he can play tackle and guard and especially considering the fact that he played very well last year and the fact that PFF had him as the highest rated guard in football this preseason PERIOD. So like I said, if he's hurt there's nothing you can do about it but I don't think he's been hurt the entire season, so that's on the coaching staff. They need to get their head out of their asses soon.

http://www.texanstalk.com/threads/we-may-get-some-o-line-help-sooner-than-we-think.111202/page-2#post-2646629

"I think that's what you've got to have to play on the offensive line. You play on the offensive line to impose your will on others," said Aboushi

https://www.google.com/amp/www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/amp/New-York-attitude-serves-Texans-OL-Aboushi-well-6541927.php
    "You don't always get to play playoff games at home, or conference championships at home, or superbowls at home. You have to have the mindset that you can play to your potential wherever you are." - Pete Carroll
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:51 am
  • sdog1981 wrote:I'm so cynical now my checklist looks like this:

Kind of where I'm at too.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:10 am
  • I love this signing his passion and aggressiveness I am predicting that he will be a starter in some compacity. In college he was a first team all conference at left tackle but during the draft they projected him as a guard for the nfl. He is only 25 watch out Glowinski you have competition. Go hawks
    bighawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:13 am
  • He was well regarded with Houston and they had a good line last year. It's a good point though that he'll face a learning curve coming to Seattle. We seem to have a lot of options at guard right now (Joeckel, Aboushi, Glowinski, Ifedi) so this may be another indicator that we're kicking Ifedi out to RT if we can't land a good rookie RT.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:45 am
  • Texans had the 18th overall line according to PFF. Keeping Aboushi on their team would have required very little effort and cap room and yet they just let him walk. When teams see potential they find a way to lock it up. This kid might have a great attitude, but Bradley Sowell sounded like a blood thirsty warrior and he couldnt block me when I'm watching Golden Girls reruns in my recliner.

We've seen this song and dance before. We've been sold this bill of goods in previous offseasons.
    endzorn
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:00 am
  • endzorn wrote:Texans had the 18th overall line according to PFF. Keeping Aboushi on their team would have required very little effort and cap room and yet they just let him walk. When teams see potential they find a way to lock it up. This kid might have a great attitude, but Bradley Sowell sounded like a blood thirsty warrior and he couldnt block me when I'm watching Golden Girls reruns in my recliner.

We've seen this song and dance before. We've been sold this bill of goods in previous offseasons.

Oday doesn't routinely grade out as one of the worst starting linemen in the league, though. When we signed Sowell, he had been a reserve for 2 years. In 2013, he ranked 76th in PFF's tackle ratings.

76th? Out of how many tackles, you ask?

Yep. 76.

I don't really like PFF's rating, but dead last? You're probably pretty damned awful.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:47 am
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    sdog1981 wrote:I'm so cynical now my checklist looks like this:

Count me in. We are snakebit at this unit up and down the organization. Overpaying by a factor of 20 for joeckel instead of waiting and maybe throwing 2-4 more at Lang makes me think even Schneider had his head up his butt when it comes to OL.

The OL to me are the Mariners before the org change. Anything but default pessimism is Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:06 pm
  • endzorn wrote:Texans had the 18th overall line according to PFF. Keeping Aboushi on their team would have required very little effort and cap room and yet they just let him walk. When teams see potential they find a way to lock it up. This kid might have a great attitude, but Bradley Sowell sounded like a blood thirsty warrior and he couldnt block me when I'm watching Golden Girls reruns in my recliner.

We've seen this song and dance before. We've been sold this bill of goods in previous offseasons. "

Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:10 pm
  • endzorn wrote:Texans had the 18th overall line according to PFF. Keeping Aboushi on their team would have required very little effort and cap room and yet they just let him walk.

I wouldn't put ANY faith into evaluating the Texans front office. They hired Osweiller, then after that disaster actually paid a team to make up for their shortcomings in thought. They are morons at best.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:52 pm
  • Seanhawk wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if you guys believe that Cable has asked for trash to work with and the smallest budget in the NFL? He is at times asked to be a miracle worker, yet Seattle somehow over the years has managed to have some great offenses and over-achieved with poor lines. I wonder what he'd be capable of if he had the line Dallas had last year?
    ringless
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:22 pm
  • ringless wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if you guys believe that Cable has asked for trash to work with and the smallest budget in the NFL? He is at times asked to be a miracle worker, yet Seattle somehow over the years has managed to have some great offenses and over-achieved with poor lines. I wonder what he'd be capable of if he had the line Dallas had last year?

It's his tendency to want to work with guys who haven't played OL or even football before playing in the NFL that drives me nuts. Sure he has a limited budget, but that same budget can also be used on guys who actually played offensive line on a Division 1 level. They are going to cost the same.

He has said before this because they don't have bad habits to break. I look at it another way. Nothing is ever perfect in football or even as you see it in practice. When things go to hell, guys who have played OL for several years can lean on past experience to correct themselves in the split seconds that are available and actually turn it into less of a crap play. These defensive lineman and power forwards are starting from scratch and are like a baby deer walking in a forest and there are countless whiffs every game, complete whiffs, that show this way ain't working.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:02 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Seahawks spending some green on St. Patty's day!! :irishdrinkers:

It's short for Saint Patrick's Day, not Saint Patricia's Day. It's Paddy, not Patty.

Carry on. ;)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:18 pm
  • ringless wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:

Then again who is to say he would take the Dallas line and want to "fix it" his way, and completely screw it up?
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:25 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Seahawks spending some green on St. Patty's day!! :irishdrinkers:

It's short for Saint Patrick's Day, not Saint Patricia's Day. It's Paddy, not Patty.

Carry on. ;)

Thank you. I have now corrected my post :)
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 am
  • ringless wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:

He is definitely part of evaluating all the OL draft picks we have made. Not spending a lot when drafting that many for the OL is fine - this isn't just a budget issue it is identifying the right players and making them come together and succeed.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:25 am
  • bighawk wrote:I love this signing his passion and aggressiveness I am predicting that he will be a starter in some compacity. In college he was a first team all conference at left tackle but during the draft they projected him as a guard for the nfl. He is only 25 watch out Glowinski you have competition. Go hawks

and Ifedi. IMO Glow was A LOT better than Ifedi.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:48 am
  • "Adding competition". O boy. Our plan is to start the best of the worst?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:42 pm
  • Found some good stuff on Aboushi:

Turn On The Jets Film Room – Oday Aboushi: Guard or Tackle?

"Guys that play a physical style of football will score extra points on the Jets big board. Like fellow rookie Brian Winters, Oday Aboushi is a nasty, physical type of lineman. He has no issue when it comes to finishing blocks and is constantly looking to lay big hits on unsuspecting players. Aboushi had multiple games with double-digit knockdown numbers at UVA in 2012. The Jets also seem to like versatile linemen that can be plugged in at different positions along the line. Aboushi played Left Tackle at UVA and started working in at Guard at the Senior Bowl.

Aboushi 1Despite being an All-ACC player at Left Tackle, it is apparent on film that Oday Aboushi cannot play Left Tackle in the NFL. Although, he has a nice long frame, he is just not athletic enough to play this position"

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/06/turn-o ... or-tackle/

Oday Aboushi a Significant Upgrade over Brian Winters for Jets at Left Guard

Four days later, the Jets came within a blocked field goal of upsetting the New England Patriots in Foxborough—quite a turnaround for a team that was shutout less than two weeks ago in San Diego, with the only change in the starting lineup coming at left guard.

However, it would be inaccurate to claim that Aboushi is leading the Jets back on the path toward respectability because of his stellar play at guard. In his first full start of the season against the Patriots, Aboushi surrendered four pressures and a hit, according to Pro Football Focus.

While he did not exactly put together a report card grade worthy of the kitchen refrigerator, Aboushi made more of an impact in how he was able to handle exotic fronts and blitzes with little help—an area that Winters struggled most in.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2238 ... d-for-jets

Oday Aboushi Steps Up as a Starter

"With apologies to everyone else who has used the line, if you dive into your football dictionary and search for the term "Next Man Up," you'll find a picture of Oday Aboushi.

"Being ready and being prepared is part of the game," Aboushi told me in the hushed Gillette Stadium visitors' locker room last week. "Being the sixth man up for me, playing left guard, it was just kind of brushing up on what I'd been doing in the past, in training camp and OTAs."

Aboushi didn't come to the Jets as a guard and didn't come into this season with much playing time at all. We selected him as a tackle out of Virginia in Round 5 of the 2013 draft and he was inactive for all 16 regular-season games as a rookie. This year he moved inside to guard in the offseason and preseason, alternating with starter Brian Winters, yet in the first five games was in for only a handful of plays.

Then Winters went down with a season-ending knee injury. Aboushi was next man up, finishing the Denver game. Then against the Patriots, he made his first NFL start.

No problem."

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article ... 3daf7eacbb
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:23 pm
  • Kinda feels like they're hoping for the next Breno.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:02 pm
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:00 pm
  • Ray Roberts has seen him since he was at Virginia, and he likes his nasty style but sees him as more of a backup. This might the kind of competitive backup plan that Pete had in mind.
    "You don't always get to play playoff games at home, or conference championships at home, or superbowls at home. You have to have the mindset that you can play to your potential wherever you are." - Pete Carroll
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:57 pm
  • If you're looking at Aboushi from the Jets, then meh.

If you're looking at the Aboushi from the Texans who basically relegated Jeff Allen to the bench late in 2016 -- then yeah I think I like it.

It really looks like we bought low on a player who is just now starting to pop as a pro. I actually harbor some good hope for him this season.

From what I've gathered on the Texans forums, I get the sense that they saw Aboushi much in the same way we see Britt now. A guy that they felt had turned the corner in his development into a better than journeyman lineman.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:26 pm
  • If he keeps his technique I think he can be a potential starter.
    bighawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information