Sherman addresses offseason drama in Players Tribune

titan3131

Reaction score
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/richa ... on-rumors/

Great read!

"I guess the only thing that really bothers me about all these off-season rumors and stories is that to me, people who are in the news business have an obligation to be honest and precise with their words because they can have an enormous impact on the opinions of the fans. And if they’re writing stories based on speculation or conjecture instead of facts, and those stories are negatively impacting public opinion, then to me that’s irresponsible."

"For example, there were people who said that I wanted out of Seattle this off-season.

That could not be further from the truth.

The truth is, I do not want out of Seattle.

Let me say it again…. I do not want out of Seattle."

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Richard plays the victim very poorly. Maybe he should do a little self reflection about being honest and precise with his statements as well.

Denying that he threatened Moore when it was right there being taped.

I love Richard the player, one of the best in the league and glad he stills on our team. But I'm exhausted from this crap, it never ends.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
I'm just hoping Sherman can re-focus his mouth towards the opponents! Last season and to some extent the previous season he turned his anger towards the team, the media, and the NFL. He looked like an aging, angry shell of who he previously was. I hope this season he can find a way to get back to the player he was previously! I feel like he sort needs to get into a rivalry to stay motivated, hopefully he does.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vtsqx1x said:
Richard plays the victim very poorly. Maybe he should do a little self reflection about being honest and precise with his statements as well.

I love Richard the player, one of the best in the league and glad he stills on our team. But I'm exhausted from this crap, it never ends.

It's a great article. No victim playing, didn't see him mention his spat with Moore (may have skimmed it) and he addressed the other incidents people were so uptight about. Also great insight into how an NFL life needs balance once the player gets older.

Seahawks fans are lucky to have Richard the player, Richard the league spokesman, Richard the social activist and Richard the father. People should appreciate it much more than they do in my opinion. Even if it's not always clean and clear.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":38u205xf said:
Sgt. Largent":38u205xf said:

It's a great article. No victim playing, didn't see him mention his spat with Moore (may have skimmed it) and he addressed the other incidents people were so uptight about. Also great insight into how an NFL life needs balance once the player gets older.

Seahawks fans are lucky to have Richard the player, Richard the league spokesman, Richard the social activist and Richard the father. People should appreciate it much more than they do in my opinion. Even if it's not always clean and clear.

The entire paragraph that the OP quoted Richard is playing the victim IMO.

The Moore incident was reported accurately and correctly, including Moore's account of the entire thing the next day on the radio. Sherman was the one who wasn't being accurate or truthful telling us he never threatened Moore. He did, that's a fact.

I agree with you, I love Richard the player (other than the tantrums), spokesman, social activist, etc. I don't like Richard the press is out to get me I'm only gonna talk to one reporter now half truth telling make up stories that don't exist to perpetuate my own point of views and victimhood. Nope, don't like that guy at all.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
That paragraph is entirely accurate though, regardless of who said it.

That article doesn't mention the Moore incident does it? It's really an insightful article on how an NFL player views the media and that relationship.

It's weird to me. Richard is one of the best to play his position, and one of the most exciting ever. He's never got into trouble off the field. He's a social activist and trying to help his peers. He's essentially a great guy.

Yet he has a run in with a media guy and doesn't cover himself in glory and people can't shake their animosity. This article in itself is admitting he caused problems and should reassurance to Hawks fans that one of our best players wants to keep winning with the Seahawks.

This guy is what Seahawks fans have wanted for decades.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":v67azn7h said:

He was at first, but now he's about 20% pain in the ass with his antics.

You've chosen to look at the best of Richard, and that's cool. I look at the whole player, and there are parts of Richard that irritate me because I think it's not good for the team..........and that's all that matters to me, what's best for the team. At times Richard is selfish and doesn't take that into account, or if he does his actions are misguided.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2sbm1x8m said:
Uncle Si":2sbm1x8m said:

You've chosen to look at the best of Richard, and that's cool. I look at the whole player, and there are parts of Richard that irritate me because I think it's not good for the team..........and that's all that matters to me, what's best for the team. At times Richard is selfish and doesn't take that into account, or if he does his actions are misguided.

I think all big time players are guilty of that in some way at some time.

My point here is that this article seems more of a mea culpa than another dig into the same issues that befell him last year. You're hung up on what has happened (fair enough) while I see this as an assurance that he's moved on

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1iyhnsdb said:
while I see this as an assurance that he's moved on

I hope you're right, but as I've said before everything is amazing before camp.

Everyone looks great, everyone's healed faster than originally thought, everyone made nice, relationships are repaired.......................it's all BS until the first snap at 1:25 on September 10th. That's when we'll find out if any of this is true.

I did enjoy the article though, although it smells a little of damage control on Richard's part. But still a good read.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3t6bdpma said:
Uncle Si":3t6bdpma said:
while I see this as an assurance that he's moved on

I hope you're right, but as I've said before everything is amazing before camp.

Everyone looks great, everyone's healed faster than originally thought, everyone made nice, relationships are repaired.......................it's all BS until the first snap at 1:25 on September 10th. That's when we'll find out if any of this is true.

I did enjoy the article though, although it smells a little of damage control on Richard's part. But still a good read.

Definitely agree on the damage control. Which, I hope, is a recognition of being wrong earlier.

LolaRox

Reaction score
I loved the article (I tend to like most the of articles on Players' Tribune)

It feels like an attempt to put this all behind him and the team as they move into the new season. My hope is that the media (and others) will move on now.

Russ likes it too.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/890976055531495424[/tweet]
He was replying to Sherm's tweet about the article.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RSherman_25/status/890964289942683648[/tweet]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ar4pwwy said:
Sgt. Largent":2ar4pwwy said:

This, I saw no "victim" claiming. I knew folks that Sherman irks would not like the article because it doesn't fit their narrative and they may have to admit their take might be wrong or a bit off.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2zd145bo said:
Uncle Si":2zd145bo said:

Exactly. Just like Ted Bundy was 80% nice guy, so is Sherman (no Sherman is not just like Bundy, they share split personality traits)

That 20% is the problem, and it's big enough to shop him and make the team announce it. That should be proof enough this is much more than a few irritated fans or reporters, but it's not enough for everyone I suppose.

I like the 80% Sherman and would love him to stick around, but the 20% asshat tips the scales for me.

chris98251

Reaction score
All those years of people bitching because we had a squeaky clean image, now we have had a few figures Sherman, Lynch, Baldwin, Bennett, that are outspoken and say stuff that isn't corporate line and people want to throw them under a bus. Sherman was never getting traded for 2 first rounder's or more by anyone with good football sense at his age, 3 or 4 years ago yes. He wasn't shopped as much as it was said everyone is available and Sherman just happened to be the guy in the news and his name was thrown out there and a Mediot ran with it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":224wt1yf said:
All those years of people bitching because we had a squeaky clean image, now we have had a few figures Sherman, Lynch, Baldwin, Bennett, that are outspoken and say stuff that isn't corporate line and people want to throw them under a bus. Sherman was never getting traded for 2 first rounder's or more by anyone with good football sense at his age, 3 or 4 years ago yes. He wasn't shopped as much as it was said everyone is available and Sherman just happened to be the guy in the news and his name was thrown out there and a Mediot ran with it.
:2thumbs: On the money..

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":4kne38al said:

Exactly.

And to me this article is his attempt to reconcile with some fans. People should embrace that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":3cyta36r said:
Sgt. Largent":3cyta36r said:
Uncle Si":3cyta36r said:

Exactly. Just like Ted Bundy was 80% nice guy, so is Sherman (no Sherman is not just like Bundy, they share split personality traits)

That 20% is the problem, and it's big enough to shop him and make the team announce it. That should be proof enough this is much more than a few irritated fans or reporters, but it's not enough for everyone I suppose.

I like the 80% Sherman and would love him to stick around, but the 20% asshat tips the scales for me.

Come on man... at the very least there must certainly be a better comparison than a serial killer

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3nlslrs6 said:

I have to agree with you. Not 100 percent, but you make some great points.

I thought his threatening of Moore was asinine. Dave Moore is one of the most non threatening people on the face of the earth, yet among all the reporters there, Sherman goes after him. It's like he knew he was making a mistake, so rather than go after one of the guys that's going to fight back, he attacked the one that would say nothing.

And Moore, to his credit, played the whole thing down. Yet Richard refused to apologize to the guy. To this day, I wonder if he said anything. It was" Ryan Leafish"

I realize that football players are a different breed of people, but there are some things that even the most passionate shouldn't do. It was amazing how well Pete handled that whole mess.

I respect Sherman because after the Tip outburst, he said "You shouldn't try to build yourself up by tearing others down." But he needs to find a way to breathe easier, if for no other reason than for the benefit of his family and his teammates.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ivotuk":1r0hwyug said:
Sgt. Largent":1r0hwyug said:

I thought his threatening of Moore was asinine. Dave Moore is one of the most non threatening people on the face of the earth, yet among all the reporters there, Sherman goes after him. It's like he knew he was making a mistake, so rather than go after one of the guys that's going to fight back, he attacked the one that would say nothing.

And Moore, to his credit, played the whole thing down. Yet Richard refused to apologize to the guy. To this day, I wonder if he said anything. It was" Ryan Leafish"

I realize that football players are a different breed of people, but there are some things that even the most passionate shouldn't do. It was amazing how well Pete handled that whole mess.

I respect Sherman because after the Tip outburst, he said "You shouldn't try to build yourself up by tearing others down." But he needs to find a way to breathe easier, if for no other reason than for the benefit of his family and his teammates.
I totally disagree on JIM Moore. He is an assclown that saw an easy way to get clicks on his radio stations website and to get ears listening to his crappy radio show. He is in no way, shape, or form, a victim. Jim Moore is a failed sportswriter and no talent radio hack that earned every bit of the scorn he received over his unprofessional actions.

Could Sherm handled it better? Sure, absolutely, but Moore acted like the low class troglodyte he is. He subjected his own opinion as fact, and then asked Sherm what he thought of that "fact", that's a bitch move and he got called out on it, and rightfully so IMHO. Moore was butthurt that Sherm called out his guy DB.

As for Moore downplaying it? Please! Moore would say "I just wish this would go away" then spend the next 45 minutes talking about it, he loves talking about it, that was his national 15 minutes of fame.

YMMV.

Josea16

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3nusr24e said:
ivotuk":3nusr24e said:
Sgt. Largent":3nusr24e said:

I totally disagree on JIM Moore. He is an assclown that saw an easy way to get clicks on his radio stations website and to get ears listening to his crappy radio show. He is in no way, shape, or form, a victim. Jim Moore is a failed sportswriter and no talent radio hack that earned every bit of the scorn he received over his unprofessional actions.

Could Sherm handled it better? Sure, absolutely, but Moore acted like the low class troglodyte he is. He subjected his own opinion as fact, and then asked Sherm what he thought of that "fact", that's a bitch move and he got called out on it, and rightfully so IMHO. Moore was butthurt that Sherm called out his guy DB.

As for Moore downplaying it? Please! Moore would say "I just wish this would go away" then spend the next 45 minutes talking about it, he loves talking about it, that was his national 15 minutes of fame.

YMMV.
Nailed it. I'm physically handicapped so I know the game he plays and it's disgusting and offensive.