Can someone explain the Pocic situation?

Seymour

Reaction score
I thought Pocic was having a good pre-season and camp and for all indications would be in the running for a starting position on the oline. Then Pete all the sudden a few weeks ago says he is going to be limited to inside 3 positions (GCG). That seemed to catch me and others off guard as it seemed he may push Ifedi to the bench, or possibly take over for Fant.

Now I see he is actually listed as #3 at either guard and #2 only at center (there are only 2)

http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart

Anyone have any idea what happened to him and why he seemed to drop down the depth chart?

Did we just witness yet another oline miss? :?

Jville

Reaction score
:177692: Absolutely not.

I'm gonna let you and others flounder in a sea of incomplete information.

After all, it is the absence of understanding that propels the sport of lazy player and coaching insults.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Jville":1zahdbxv said:

After all, it is the absence of understanding that propels the sport of lazy player and coaching insults.

Coffee .... expulsed .... monitor abused.

That was downright perfect.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
God, this place, sometimes.

Seahawks will probably keep 7 or 8 active linemen on Game day. Pocic will be 1 of them. More value in having a dude that can play multiple positions as needed rather then starting him and then not having that depth and versatility.

Besides 2 or 3 year players SHOULD be ahead of a rookie both physically and mentally.

But yeah let's jump to conclusions just so we can continue to drive that storyline.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3tte0r6l said:
I thought Pocic was having a good pre-season and camp and for all indications would be in the running for a starting position on the oline. Then Pete all the sudden a few weeks ago says he is going to be limited to inside 3 positions (GCG). That seemed to catch me and others off guard as it seemed he may push Ifedi to the bench, or possibly take over for Fant.

Now I see he is actually listed as #3 at either guard and #2 only at center (there are only 2)

Anyone have any idea what happened to him and why he seemed to drop down the depth chart?

My thought on this was he was not considered ready to be a better starter than we currently have but was good enough to be given the backup center job. This position is too important to risk using him at other positions unless absolutely necessary. If you lose your center and don't have a backup ready to go, you are in for a long day of football.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Seymour":2tlruutn said:

I was wondering this too. He was in competition for the RT spot, we heard that the loser of that would be in competition for the guard spot. It is an interesting thing to see happen. I wonder what happened did not happen . I thought we would see more of him with the 2's at guard/tackle in the pre season.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":1mfnaprj said:

Very helpful info. :roll:

There was no insult here....until you showed up.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2dnj12w7 said:
God, this place, sometimes.

Seahawks will probably keep 7 or 8 active linemen on Game day. Pocic will be 1 of them. More value in having a dude that can play multiple positions as needed rather then starting him and then not having that depth and versatility.

Besides 2 or 3 year players SHOULD be ahead of a rookie both physically and mentally.

But yeah let's jump to conclusions just so we can continue to drive that storyline.

Who is that too? Jump to conclusions with a question?

What is with people today?

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
kidhawk":26xnll64 said:
Seymour":26xnll64 said:

My thought on this was he was not considered ready to be a better starter than we currently have but was good enough to be given the backup center job. This position is too important to risk using him at other positions unless absolutely necessary. If you lose your center and don't have a backup ready to go, you are in for a long day of football.

Thank you! Someone that wants to contribute instead of being part of the problem.

As a matter of fact, that is right where I was lead to when they released Hunt. #2 at center was more important. Problem is, that does nothing to bolster the starting oline through this years draft which many of us were lead to believe they were trying to do.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
There is no situation. Pocic is a decent rookie with much flexibility along the line, but was beat out by more experienced Mark Glowinski and Jermaine Ifedi. He'll be a great backup at this time, and who knows, if one of those guys slips up, he's ready to step in for them.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
They tried to bolster the line with last years draft (Ifedi (1), Odhiambo (3), Fant (UDFA)) morseso than this year (Pocic (2), Senior(6)).
The 2016 players are starting (or IR'd). One 2017 player is backup. I don't see a problem.

I don't think Pocic was ever in line to start off the get go. As Cable has said repeatedly, the jump from year one to year two a gigantuan. You only start rookies if you have to. We don't have to this year thank goodness.

The reason people are throwing crap back at you is the backhanded stab at the FO about OL "misses".
Personally I think the OL misses are more about draft position, injury bad luck and the difficulty finding good OL out of college. There are only a handful of good OL's in the league and many were built with multiple high picks (Dallas, Tennessee) or cap room (Oakland, Atlanta). If you aren't drafting in the top 15 or spending millions of dollars in FA, then it's hard to have a great OL.

I'm glad Pocic is depth. In previous years he'd have been forced to start. This year we finally have enough warm bodies to let him progress as a backup before being thrown to the wolves.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Seymour":1nlwtpxe said:

Ifedi is flat terrible. After a few free rushers from the right side nearly kills RW, Pete will make Cable do the right thing.

Hopefully, Pocic isn't an Ifedi-like miss.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Schneider and Carroll have both said that they felt like we were "too young" along the offensive line, which is something they have actively sought to avoid this season. Most of Pocic's experience is at center. He started one game outside the center position (RT) in 2016. He is playing the backup role they envisioned for him when he was drafted.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Seymour":n3rzxcm2 said:
kidhawk":n3rzxcm2 said:
Seymour":n3rzxcm2 said:

Thank you! Someone that wants to contribute instead of being part of the problem.

As a matter of fact, that is right where I was lead to when they released Hunt. #2 at center was more important. Problem is, that does nothing to bolster the starting oline through this years draft which many of us were lead to believe they were trying to do.

Did Pete and John lead you to believe we would add starters through the draft? Nobody else counts.

Jville

Reaction score
Smellyman":1qyifbso said:
Seymour":1qyifbso said:

Ifedi is flat terrible. After a few free rushers from the right side nearly kills RW, Pete will make Cable do the right thing.

Hopefully, Pocic isn't an Ifedi-like miss.

A two for one. A finger of blame singles out a a player and a coach in the same post.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I really thought he would be the starting right tackle when the season started (actually wanted to see him on the left side a little also). Ifedi is flat out terrible. The fact that Pocic isn't starting there is kind of alarming. I always thought Pocic was a curious pick. I haven't kept up with the other lineman drafted before him, but I need to look.

Den - Garrett Bolles (starting left tackle)
NO - Ryan Ramcyzk (starting left tackle)
SD - Forrest Lamp (injured)
Jags - Cam Robinson (starting left tackle but has to deal with JJ Watt his first game. Lol, good luck)

Nothing to do with the Seahawks of course, but I lost track of them. Rookies or not, they are starting.

Rat

Reaction score
Jville":15s5yanv said:

Holy ****, there was no careless speculation from OP, he just asked a question based on evidence from the depth chart listed on the team's official website.

Damn, some of you are sensitive.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Holy Cow it's as if a good portion of this boards learns nothing over the years.

I keep seeing genious throwing Ifedi under the bus already calling him a bust and yet to start his 2nd season.

When are people on this board going to actually learn from the past-- It takes lineman years to get really good most of the time.

We saw the same attitude with Unger- People calling him soft for his guard play before being moved back to Center and becoming a really good player.

We saw to lesser extent the same kind of over the top pronouncements with Carpenter and Sweezy- both who have signed lucrative deals with other teams.

But more to the point we've had 2 years of Britt being the .net whipping boy on the line. Constantly being flogged as a bust and a terrible player.. Enter year 3 he goes to Center and becomes a Pro-Bowl Alternate. This year he's called an unquestioned leader on the offense and earned a nice extension.

I guess it's fun in the here and now to crucify players and dismissing the fact that it takes time to develop a player.

Does this mean Ifedi will be a dominant player? Maybe/Maybe not, but apparently he's done enough to claim the RT job, to me that's a victory. Hopefully the line plays pretty well. I'm interested to see how they do.

ctrcat

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":21ktros4 said:
I really thought he would be the starting right tackle when the season started (actually wanted to see him on the left side a little also). Ifedi is flat out terrible. The fact that Pocic isn't starting there is kind of alarming. I always thought Pocic was a curious pick. I haven't kept up with the other lineman drafted before him, but I need to look.

Jags - Cam Robinson (starting left tackle but has to deal with JJ Watt his first game. Lol, good luck)

Nothing to do with the Seahawks of course, but I lost track of them. Rookies or not, they are starting.

I watched Cam Robinson and Taylor Moton (taken in the late 2nd) this preseason. Moton was more impressive by miles.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
ctrcat":1z90ul1a said:
pittpnthrs":1z90ul1a said:

I watched Cam Robinson and Taylor Moton (taken in the late 2nd) this preseason. Moton was more impressive by miles.

Moton is going to be a great RT. Congrats on that pick.

Latest posts