Russ has always been his best on the run.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Clearly Russell Wilson is at his best while scrambling. So why did he wait until that game clinching drive to run. Russ himself said at that point in the game he thought there best way to win was to start running. Well, why not try earlier? Of course the defense was more tired but so was everybody else. I'd just like to know if people in the Seahawks organization have tried to make Wilson a "NFL" type QB and suppressed his best weapon, this he's thinking about it instead of going on instinct?

Vesuve

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":3ds1znke said:
Clearly Russell Wilson is at his best while scrambling. So why did he wait until that game clinching drive to run. Russ himself said at that point in the game he thought there best way to win was to start running. Well, why not try earlier? Of course the defense was more tired but so was everybody else. I'd just like to know if people in the Seahawks organization have tried to make Wilson a "NFL" type QB and suppressed his best weapon, this he's thinking about it instead of going on instinct?

IMO, RW started to run b/c that was the only way to gain yards on ineffective plays.

It's still risky to have your QB running.

cymatica

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1byegp41 said:
SpokaneHawks":1byegp41 said:

They have done this since his rookie season with the Wilson rules. They don't want to expose him to unnecessary hits.

Wilson might be the one qb that can get away with it. He's very smart when he runs

Milhawkee

Reaction score
Agree. RW MADE this team and beat our Matt Flynn by RUNNING. The when he got his big contract, we wanted to "protect" him, and made him more of a pocket passer. That makes no sense. This team has become 3 and out 3 and out 3 and out and oh - 2 minute warning - let's RUN RW and get creative and play with a sense of urgency and win this thing! Imagine if we did that all the time.

Seymour

Reaction score
cymatica":12a8jw3m said:
FlyHawksFly":12a8jw3m said:
SpokaneHawks":12a8jw3m said:

They have done this since his rookie season with the Wilson rules. They don't want to expose him to unnecessary hits.

Wilson might be the one qb that can get away with it. He's very smart when he runs

Wilson is actually safer on the run than behind this oline. He never knows which way the pressure will come from, on his own he is in control of the situation himself.

cymatica

Reaction score
Wilson is actually safer on the run than behind this oline

New gameplan idea: Move the pocket one way, move Wilson the other way. :D

Boycie

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2ep2pjus said:
SpokaneHawks":2ep2pjus said:

They have done this since his rookie season with the Wilson rules. They don't want to expose him to unnecessary hits

They have done a bang up job with the protection they have given him up front haven't they?

mrt144

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":21zeru2z said:
FlyHawksFly":21zeru2z said:
SpokaneHawks":21zeru2z said:

They have done this since his rookie season with the Wilson rules. They don't want to expose him to unnecessary hits

They have done a bang up job with the protection they have given him up front haven't they?

"So instead of exposing RW to open field tackles where he can get injured, we prefer he takes tackles behind the LOS where he can't anticipate the direction the hits are coming from."

Makes sense to me.

Hawks46

Reaction score
He didn't run much the last half of 2015.

He has one of the best stretches for a QB in NFL history, almost all from the pocket.

Evidently, Pete and Bevell think that it's unfair for the league to have that good of an offense paired with our defense, so we won't be going back to that any time soon.

mrt144

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2ny3dmr8 said:
Ace_Rimmer":2ny3dmr8 said:
FlyHawksFly":2ny3dmr8 said:
SpokaneHawks":2ny3dmr8 said:

Not the point, and a complete deflection of the question. Ideally he would never get hit behind the line, AS WELL as not take unnecessary hits running.

When you're done vacationing in 'ideal' I have some bad news about your house.

mrt144

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":32vima2u said:
mrt144":32vima2u said:
FlyHawksFly":32vima2u said:
Ace_Rimmer":32vima2u said:

Not the point, and a complete deflection of the question. Ideally he would never get hit behind the line, AS WELL as not take unnecessary hits running.

What? This doesn't even make sense. I am not saying I am happy with the o line play, or that the coaches are happy with the o line play. They DO however have a specific set of circumstances where they want Wilson running. Trying to confuse that issue with the o line are two different conversations.

I don't think it's a different question for the OC. Use RW's legs to accrue first downs or don't. The alternative is worse in a production POV and doesn't seem much different in regards to getting RW hit except RW has less of an idea of who is going to hit him where.

mrt144

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":22sw2nv6 said:
mrt144":22sw2nv6 said:
FlyHawksFly":22sw2nv6 said:
mrt144":22sw2nv6 said:

What? This doesn't even make sense. I am not saying I am happy with the o line play, or that the coaches are happy with the o line play. They DO however have a specific set of circumstances where they want Wilson running. Trying to confuse that issue with the o line are two different conversations.

I don't think it's a different question for the OC. Use RW's legs to accrue first downs or don't. The alternative is worse in a production POV and doesn't seem much different in regards to getting RW hit except RW has less of an idea of who is going to hit him where.

QBs get hit in the pocket. It happens, granted way too much in Seattle, but it isn't unique our situation. There is an element of playing QB that requires that sacrifice. There are also protections in place for a QB in the pocket. That doesn't stop a defensive player from rolling up on a QB, but it is worth mentioning. There are none of those protections when a QB runs. He is still susceptible to blind side hits, hits coming from angles that he can't predict.

This isn't really an argument, I am explaining how the TEAM looks at it. They have those rules in place to preserve Russell's career.

I don't need a pathologist to determine the cause of death when I am an eye witness.

mrt144

Reaction score
Ive accepted every rationale you've provided at face value. It means we have a crappy situatuon to deal with. If you are searching for more to go off of there isn't. Im not trying to be clever or obtuse with a clever punchline.

Either we accept more injury risk to RW through rushing or we don't and try to fnd some cogency while exposing him to another injury risk in the "pocket".

I will take the higher upside prop 7 days a week.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sunday's game was vintage 2012 Wilson. Less than 200 yards passing and he was running for 1st Downs. I actually really liked seeing it again.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
RW was running but the offense was choking far too often.

RW is not as fast as he used to be so those saying "awesome" to RW running around are not wanting to see reality.

A tougher playoff-quality team will catch him a lot more often than the 49's did - and deliver some punishment when they do.

Seeing RW extend some plays with the run is great . Counting on it as the foundation of our offense? Not so much.

Upside from yesterday is Carson really runs hard and turns a lot of low or negative yardage plays into positive runs.

He seems to have the "it" factor. Hope he stays health for us because right now his upside is significant.

mrt144

Reaction score
semiahmoo":wn0y65bi said:
RW was running but the offense was choking far too often.

RW is not as fast as he used to be so those saying "awesome" to RW running around are not wanting to see reality.

A tougher playoff-quality team will catch him a lot more often than the 49's did - and deliver some punishment when they do.

Seeing RW extend some plays with the run is great . Counting on it as the foundation of our offense? Not so much.

Upside from yesterday is Carson really runs hard and turns a lot of low or negative yardage plays into positive runs.

He seems to have the "it" factor. Hope he stays health for us because right now his upside is significant.

RW only needs to be fast enough to reach the 1st down marker on 3rd down or make it a within 2 yards on 2nd down. No more, no less.

stizz19

Reaction score
If I recall he was more of a pocket passer when him and Baldwin went on their historic TD streak.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

xgeoff

Reaction score
Vesuve":2rujyiwz said:
SpokaneHawks":2rujyiwz said:

IMO, RW started to run b/c that was the only way to gain yards on ineffective plays.

It's still risky to have your QB running.

Agreed, and that is how he got injured last year, by running away from Suh and getting stepped on. I actually think that Russell is most productive when he has time and can sit in the pocket. Look back at late 2015 and look at his incredibly productive games. He had protection, he sat back in the pocket and shredded defenses.

I think the notion that he is at his best when he is on the run is a myth. What it does is break down the defense and gives his receivers more of a chance to get open. I'd rather see him in a nice, clean pocket myself.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
stizz19":o3g6ideh said:
If I recall he was more of a pocket passer when him and Baldwin went on their historic TD streak.

True. I had such hope then that he was going to develop as a true pocket QB threat and thus extend his career well into his 30's.

If he requires running as the foundation of his QB abilities that career won't be half as long.

mrt144

Reaction score
semiahmoo":ujwneytt said:
stizz19":ujwneytt said:

True. I had such hope then that he was going to develop as a true pocket QB threat and thus extend his career well into his 30's.

If he requires running as the foundation of his QB abilities that career won't be half as long.

I'm okay with a shorter RW career than 10 more years of RW playing his worst football waiting for an OL.