Tanner McEvoy tight End move.

tersal

Reaction score
Does any one think McEvoy can gain 25 lbs and move to TE? He would have to learn to block inside but that is a weakness of our current starting TE as well.

chris98251

Reaction score
Vannett can block, they just are not using him, he was drafted as a blocker and has great hands that they were surprised about.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Vannett will get his shot next year with Jimmy going elsewhere. Maybe Macevoy for the third TE next year?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
McEvoy has good speed and decent hands,if he can learn to block well then he will be a nice replacement for JG.
He does need to add weight but remember he played TE in school among other spots.
I can never figure Vannet out.I hope both end up being really good.

sutz

Reaction score
For now, we're in decent shape with JG, Willson, and Vannett. Asking a skill player to put on 25 pounds is kind of unreasonable. Jimmy is one of those rare guys who can maintain good mobility with 250+ pounds on his frame.

Vannett has shown some promise this season. Assuming JG moves on, we'll have to do something to have a 3rd TE maybe, but there would still be the draft. I'm not too afraid of a future based on Willson and Vannett plus a FA/draft pick.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
sutz":3jor59p2 said:
Asking a skill player to put on 25 pounds is kind of unreasonable.

I would agree with this, especially since Tanner is already in his mid-20s.

At USC, I witnessed Fred Davis make the move from WR to TE because of a logjam we had at WR. It took Fred a good two years to add the weight and the necessary blocking techniques to step up, but he did it, he won the Mackey award for best TE in the nation in his junior year, and went on to a decent career in the NFL.

But Fred Davis was 18 when he switched to TE, and his body frame was able to handle the extra weight. Plus, Fred did it in college where there is less pressure and more time to make the transition. I don't think that route is open to Tanner at this point.

purpleneer

Reaction score
No effing way. He could use a few lbs and has a chance to become a somewhat versatile player, but to aim at making him a TE doesn't seem like a good idea at all unless it just happens naturally over time. I'll keep saying it; the Hawks offense is at its best with a true TE who maximizes the ability to have run/pass versatility with the same lineup. Multiple TE sets are even better, especially if the run game schematically gets less basic so it doesn't require RW to run as much to open up the rest.

chris98251

Reaction score
I also liked what little we seen of Swoopes in Pre Season, TE doesn't appear to be a position of worry even if Jimmy leaves.