Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Earl Thomas to hold out until contract resolved

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

  • How much of this is him wanting and how much is pressure put on the talks. When you have this shit going on the truth is rarely apparent in what you see.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25050
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Contract talks are non-existent right now and will not take place unless Earl reports. The only talks in play right now are trade talks. Outside of that, Earl has no leverage to apply pressure. Schneider and Pete will let him rot if need be.

    The truth is that Earl very much wants to be a Cowboy.
    User avatar
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 4599
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • vin.couve12 wrote:Contract talks are non-existent right now and will not take place unless Earl reports. The only talks in play right now are trade talks. Outside of that, Earl has no leverage to apply pressure. Schneider and Pete will let him rot if need be.

    The truth is that Earl very much wants to be a Cowboy.


    Truth is public opinion and media pressure as well as keeping it a topic is pressure.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25050
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Truth is, nobody knows what Earl wants, including Earl.
    User avatar
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 801
    Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:43 am


  • Jimjones0384 wrote:Truth is, nobody knows what Earl wants, including Earl.

    Earl knows what he wants!

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1217
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


  • vin.couve12 wrote:Contract talks are non-existent right now and will not take place unless Earl reports. The only talks in play right now are trade talks. Outside of that, Earl has no leverage to apply pressure. Schneider and Pete will let him rot if need be.

    The truth is that Earl very much wants to be a Cowboy.



    It doesn't appear (at least at this stage) that the want is reciprocal. I love Earl and what he has meant to the Hawks but if he doesn't want to be here trade him.
    User avatar
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3477
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:47 pm
    Location: In Bruges


  • PlinytheCenter wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:Contract talks are non-existent right now and will not take place unless Earl reports. The only talks in play right now are trade talks. Outside of that, Earl has no leverage to apply pressure. Schneider and Pete will let him rot if need be.

    The truth is that Earl very much wants to be a Cowboy.



    It doesn't appear (at least at this stage) that the want is reciprocal. I love Earl and what he has meant to the Hawks but if he doesn't want to be here trade him.


    The Seahawks have to get adequate value in return for trade to make sense, though. By just waiting this thing out the Seahawks are all but assured having Earl patrol the back end for the majority of this season, a third round compensetory pick when he signs a huge FA deal next off season, and they get to avoid making a bad precedent for future players.

    Unless someone offers the value of at least a low second round pick it doesn't make sense to move him, IMO.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    User avatar
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3242
    Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:24 am


  • Give him to the Browns. That’ll send a message to future players.
    daveman918
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 250
    Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 pm


  • I love ET, but whoever is advising him is not helping him at all. He needs to show up, show he is healthy and ready to dominate and I am sure some negotiations will happen. That said let's keep in mind we have 2-3 top guys coming due, Wags, Wilson, and KJ only so much to go around, and ET is getting on the wrong side of that age mark, and coming off injuries. If we can only keep 2 of that four Wags and Wilson are the ones.
    User avatar
    Hawk1217
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 135
    Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:37 am


  • Hawk1217 wrote: That said let's keep in mind we have 2-3 top guys coming due, Wags, Wilson, and KJ only so much to go around,


    Scary thing is Wagner is siding with Earl and his decision to holdout. Could be a sign of things to come.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1087
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Hawk1217 wrote: That said let's keep in mind we have 2-3 top guys coming due, Wags, Wilson, and KJ only so much to go around,


    Scary thing is Wagner is siding with Earl and his decision to holdout. Could be a sign of things to come.


    Not really. Wagner said he hoped Earl would come back, but that he understands both sides. Don't expect teammates to trash one another, which would not be productive either.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2505
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


  • Actually, there are some interesting quotes from Wagner on the subject that have not exactly proven to be accurate as far as the Seahawks are concerned.
    “Do I hope he [Thomas] comes? I do. I hope he comes,” Wagner told Avril. “But, you know, I’m not necessarily focused on that because I understand both sides. I understand wanting him here and I understand the business aspect, which is not good for players.”

    “We have contracts that don’t necessarily stay with us all the time, so you have to do what is right for you,” Wagner said. “Because at the end of the day, whenever you done, they don’t care about you.”

    “Once you get hurt, once your play goes down, all these different things, the team has full (leverage),” Avril said. “They can let you go, and you don’t see the rest of that money, so when you’re the best thing out there, you better capitalize as much as possible.”

    https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/ ... ess-model/


    Marshawn Lynch "retired" for a year and was allowed to keep millions of dollars in signing bonus. Kam Chancellor recently "retired," but he will continue to be paid million of dollars on the payroll over the next two seasons.
    User avatar
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2505
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:04 pm


  • The issue is that his interests and the Seahawks interests don’t line up.

    He wants one more big contract before he retires.

    Because he’s the best player in the league at his position, it’s cheaper for the Seahawks to force him to play out his deal and then to franchise him twice than to give him that contract. After his deal and two franchise tags he’s too old to get the big last contract he wants.

    His only recourse is to stay away, or to be so difficult that it’s no longer in the Seahawks interest to not renegotiate or move on from him. The Seahawks are acting within the confines of the CBA just as he is acting within the confines of the CBA.

    The problem is that the CBA kinda screws over guys who are the best at their position with one big contract left in them because it’s cheaper to just franchise tag those guys twice, which underpays them (see also Le’Veon Bell).
    User avatar
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4880
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • Popeyejones wrote:The issue is that his interests and the Seahawks interests don’t line up.

    He wants one more big contract before he retires.

    Because he’s the best player in the league at his position, it’s cheaper for the Seahawks to force him to play out his deal and then to franchise him twice than to give him that contract. After his deal and two franchise tags he’s too old to get the big last contract he wants.

    His only recourse is to stay away, or to be so difficult that it’s no longer in the Seahawks interest to not renegotiate or move on from him. The Seahawks are acting within the confines of the CBA just as he is acting within the confines of the CBA.

    The problem is that the CBA kinda screws over guys who are the best at their position with one big contract left in them because it’s cheaper to just franchise tag those guys twice, which underpays them (see also Le’Veon Bell).


    More like his interests and his tactic/actions don't line up. He devalued his brand, limited his market appeal, and made himself the high risk, flat reward proposition to 30 GM/HCs in the league. He needs a branding publicist, and start listening to his agent, oh, stop opening his mouth helps.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1217
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


  • Popeyejones wrote:The issue is that his interests and the Seahawks interests don’t line up.

    He wants one more big contract before he retires.

    Because he’s the best player in the league at his position, it’s cheaper for the Seahawks to force him to play out his deal and then to franchise him twice than to give him that contract. After his deal and two franchise tags he’s too old to get the big last contract he wants.

    His only recourse is to stay away, or to be so difficult that it’s no longer in the Seahawks interest to not renegotiate or move on from him. The Seahawks are acting within the confines of the CBA just as he is acting within the confines of the CBA.

    The problem is that the CBA kinda screws over guys who are the best at their position with one big contract left in them because it’s cheaper to just franchise tag those guys twice, which underpays them (see also Le’Veon Bell).


    I followed along every step of the way up until that very last sentence. Given that this former #1 draft pick has already seen checks totaling 50.7 million dollars, I just can't gabble with the notion that he has somehow been screwed. :177692: Now if the subject were a late blooming undrafted player facing his last opportunity to secure a big contract, that I could empathize and get my mind around.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7941
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • ^^^ The last sentence is about how in practice the franchise tag pays below market rate for the top player at a position. That’s particularly the case for guys going into their last big deal, and to add, also particularly the case in a rising cap era like we’re in.
    User avatar
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4880
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • Trrrroy wrote:
    PlinytheCenter wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:Contract talks are non-existent right now and will not take place unless Earl reports. The only talks in play right now are trade talks. Outside of that, Earl has no leverage to apply pressure. Schneider and Pete will let him rot if need be.

    The truth is that Earl very much wants to be a Cowboy.



    It doesn't appear (at least at this stage) that the want is reciprocal. I love Earl and what he has meant to the Hawks but if he doesn't want to be here trade him.


    The Seahawks have to get adequate value in return for trade to make sense, though. By just waiting this thing out the Seahawks are all but assured having Earl patrol the back end for the majority of this season, a third round compensetory pick when he signs a huge FA deal next off season, and they get to avoid making a bad precedent for future players.

    Unless someone offers the value of at least a low second round pick it doesn't make sense to move him, IMO.

    BINGO! Exactly!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 23832
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • toffee wrote:
    Jimjones0384 wrote:Truth is, nobody knows what Earl wants, including Earl.

    Earl knows what he wants!

    How so? "I'm retiring....nevermind." "Come get me Dallas...... I want to be a Seahawk for life." Yeah, sounds like it
    User avatar
    Jimjones0384
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 801
    Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:43 am



  • Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 5107
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County




  • What is with this ‘if you don’t want me talk? Players getting ahead of themselves these days. If players aren’t extended early and resetting the market for their position or the nfl they feel ‘disrespected’.

    Even if we don’t extend at the number he wants, that doesn’t mean the team doesn’t want him.

    The end of LOB is a sad, pathetic tale.
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4366
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


  • Jimjones0384 wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    Jimjones0384 wrote:Truth is, nobody knows what Earl wants, including Earl.

    Earl knows what he wants!

    How so? "I'm retiring....nevermind." "Come get me Dallas...... I want to be a Seahawk for life." Yeah, sounds like it


    Earl wants to be the highest paid FS as a cowgirl.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1217
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm



  • I am SO tired of him saying how much of an underdog he is and wanting respect and all that crap. His current contract, at the time he signed it, made him the highest-paid safety in the NFL. That's top-dog respect.

    The fact that players have signed contracts after him that make them higher paid does NOTHING to diminish the fact that we made him the highest-paid safety at the time.

    I hate to say it because I understand how critical the safety position is to a defense and I understand how exceptional Thomas is, but his attitude is becoming a big problem with me, and I can't expect that it is playing any better with his teammates.
    User avatar
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2129
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 3:22 pm
    Location: Auckland, New Zealand


  • chris98251 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:Contract talks are non-existent right now and will not take place unless Earl reports. The only talks in play right now are trade talks. Outside of that, Earl has no leverage to apply pressure. Schneider and Pete will let him rot if need be.

    The truth is that Earl very much wants to be a Cowboy.


    Truth is public opinion and media pressure as well as keeping it a topic is pressure.


    He is just keeping himself in the headlines hoping to make something happen, he does not understand it makes his case as a disguruntled problem child stronger and drives his value down all the more for whomever does sign him to his next contract.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 25050
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • chris98251 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:Contract talks are non-existent right now and will not take place unless Earl reports. The only talks in play right now are trade talks. Outside of that, Earl has no leverage to apply pressure. Schneider and Pete will let him rot if need be.

    The truth is that Earl very much wants to be a Cowboy.


    Truth is public opinion and media pressure as well as keeping it a topic is pressure.


    He is just keeping himself in the headlines hoping to make something happen, he does not understand it makes his case as a disguruntled problem child stronger and drives his value down all the more for whomever does sign him to his next contract.


    This.

    Dude badly need a professional publicist, and start listening to his agent. Earl must understand he ain’t Sherm, he didn’t have Sheri’s smart in promoting his brand.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1217
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


  • Yawwwnnn...this guy wants out bad. Not sure why we cant dump him for a draft pick from some team. I'm guessing his market value is too low at present time. The rebuild is on and he doesn't want to be here.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    User avatar
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6114
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


  • Mmmmhmm. Writing is and has been on the wall. Hawks need to take the best offer and move on. Doesn't matter who it is.
    User avatar
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 4599
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • Trade him for Josh Gordon
    stang233
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 247
    Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:59 am


  • Now this is weird. I can see this is at UCLA. ET poses with Chip Kelly from there today also. :229031_confused2:

    Draw your own conclusions. :Dunno: :hmmmm:



    Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 5107
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


  • If he wants to sit out let him sit! He has destroyed any trade value he had and just continues. If he wants to get paid he will show up and earn a new contract from someone, if not franchise him next year and make him play. He is not about the team at all. I appreciate everything he has done and I was on the fence after the Dallas fiasco but after saying he wanted to be here he has done nothing that should make anyone feel that way. Bye Bennett, bye Sherman and bye Earl. I want to get back to a team I want to root for!!
    peppersjap
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 774
    Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:44 am


  • I get the feeling the Hawks are ready to move on. Earl is just desperate at this point. How much money does Earl want to lose? Earl really has no leverage if the Hawks are done with him. If the Hawks were ready to pay him a lot of money they would have already done it. They are likely just waiting to see what he does. Earl already owes the Hawks about $84K for missing mandatory OTAs.

    He could miss $40K for every day of TC. He also could be fined up to an additional $2.5M depending on how much of TC he misses. If he skips all of preseason and the Hawks are comfortable with his replacement the Hawks could suspend him for the season for failing to report. His contract wouldn't toll. The Hawks have the leverage. And Earl would still owe all that money.

    It's going to be interesting watching this play out. The Hawks made an example of Kam's holdout. Do they do the same with Earl.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5855
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


  • Earl is my 2nd favorite Hawks. But, in what world has he always been an underdog? :roll:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10408
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Our poor HOF FS at his prime is doing his utmost in advertising his muscle on instagram, Being the best, yet unwanted and having to advertise must be absolutely devastating.


    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1217
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Earl is my 2nd favorite Hawks. But, in what world has he always been an underdog? :roll:


    Intellectually?
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4366
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


  • He's not an underdog. He's always been one of the top players at his position at every level. And paid handsomely.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10408
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • OMG, John is pitching Earl to Panthers?

    https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2018/ ... rl-thomas/

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1217
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


  • j hawk wrote:The Seahawks should not be held hostage, both for now and future players. Let him sit no-play no-pay. Move on. Let him miss out on 8 million dollars. I am done with him. Thanks Earl to bad you lost it at the end.



    I cannot agree more. Time to let him sit on the pine if there is no trade. Treat him like Marcus Allen if he comes back and tell him that beforehand. YOU WILL RIDE THE PINE THE ENTIRE YEAR IF YOU DON'T APPLY YOURSELF STARTING AT TRAINING CAMP, or sit out and lose your pay. Let him know Seattle will honor their side of the contract, but he has lost his starting job.
    jeremiah
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 107
    Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:10 pm




  • Bluff....nothing to see here IMO. He's selling his house yet reporting if we sign him? Ummmm where you gunna live Earl? :roll:
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5594
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Well this isn't exactly good news

    https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seaha ... 120047511/


    Good, let him be "done" and never earn another dime playing football in the NFL. This is what happens when you let petulant adults be themselves and reward their behavior, they treat you like dirt and claim abuse on the way out.
    I used to be Bitter.
    User avatar
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1402
    Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:38 pm


  • It's not his call, I love me some Earl, but at this point, trade him to whatever team gives the best offer. Come on Cleveland, get it done. These athletes have "so rough" :roll:
    They are plenty happy when they sign their huge deals, a few years later the act disrespected. Then STOP SIGNING long term deals.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10408
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • What's irritating is that the Hawks should have been done with this months ago. Like naive fans, they didn't believe it could get caustic. This story should be old news and it's not. Stupid and naive, John. Everyone around the league knows Thomas' worth now, or lack there of. Should gave taken a 3rd, dummy.
    User avatar
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 4599
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:It's not his call, I love me some Earl, but at this point, trade him to whatever team gives the best offer. Come on Cleveland, get it done. These athletes have "so rough" :roll:
    They are plenty happy when they sign their huge deals, a few years later the act disrespected. Then STOP SIGNING long term deals.


    I get both sides, but I'm a Hawk's fan first, and Earl fan 2nd.

    I get why he's frustrated...........last year of his deal, feels like he's still in his prime and wants another contract.

    But if I'm his agent? Holding out doesn't accomplish anything other than keeping your value low because you won't come back in football shape, might now suffer another injury to where no team will want to trade for you and give you a monster extension.

    Come into camp, hopefully have a great healthy productive year, and then next year either as a free agent or when we franchise you another team will give the Hawks the proper value and you get your deal.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13609
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • vin.couve12 wrote:What's irritating is that the Hawks should have been done with this months ago. Like naive fans, they didn't believe it could get caustic. This story should be old news and it's not. Stupid and naive, John. Everyone around the league knows Thomas' worth now, or lack there of. Should gave taken a 3rd, dummy.


    Oh I think John and Pete FULLY expected this..............but their playing hardball and aren't going to part with one of the best safeties in his prime for a mid to late round pick.

    Nor should we want them too, we've already gotten the short end of the stick on trade deals. Giving up Earl for a 3rd or 4th rounder would be terrible business.

    Good. Play hardball, make Earl report in week 6, then if he plays well? Franchise his ass and hope teams see that he's now healthy and still productive and give us what we want.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13609
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:What's irritating is that the Hawks should have been done with this months ago. Like naive fans, they didn't believe it could get caustic. This story should be old news and it's not. Stupid and naive, John. Everyone around the league knows Thomas' worth now, or lack there of. Should gave taken a 3rd, dummy.


    Oh I think John and Pete FULLY expected this..............but their playing hardball and aren't going to part with one of the best safeties in his prime for a mid to late round pick.

    Nor should we want them too, we've already gotten the short end of the stick on trade deals. Giving up Earl for a 3rd or 4th rounder would be terrible business.

    Good. Play hardball, make Earl report in week 6, then if he plays well? Franchise his ass and hope teams see that he's now healthy and still productive and give us what we want.


    What's to stop him from holding out next year if we franchise tag him? I don't know all the legalities and technicalities so please bear with me.
    2018 Adopt-a-rookie: Tre Flowers, CB
    User avatar
    jmahon316
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 138
    Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:59 pm


  • Clearly one of the barriers to any positive outcome - either signing a long term deal with the Seahawks, or a trade to any other team - is Earl's Demand to be the highest paid Safety in the league. There have been rumblings over the past year that Earl's baseline contract would be the Eric Berry Deal - 6 year $78 million. Yet the safety market has been rather ice cold the past year. I am sure that any team thinking of spending a 2nd round pick on Thomas will want an extension in place....or at least feel comfortable with future contract parameters....especially if he is only willing to be traded to one cap-strapped team (Cowboys) I am not sure that Earl's expectations are remotely realistic.

    I expect that this situation will get even uglier before it is all said-and-done. Not sure how any amicable solution can be reached. I would not be shocked if Seattle just traded Earl to the highest bidding team in terms of draft picks, and the receiving team would try and "woo" Thomas to their team in the future by overpaying maybe? Not sure that Earl can get PAID and play for a specific team.....
    User avatar
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 355
    Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:45 am


  • jmahon316 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:What's irritating is that the Hawks should have been done with this months ago. Like naive fans, they didn't believe it could get caustic. This story should be old news and it's not. Stupid and naive, John. Everyone around the league knows Thomas' worth now, or lack there of. Should gave taken a 3rd, dummy.


    Oh I think John and Pete FULLY expected this..............but their playing hardball and aren't going to part with one of the best safeties in his prime for a mid to late round pick.

    Nor should we want them too, we've already gotten the short end of the stick on trade deals. Giving up Earl for a 3rd or 4th rounder would be terrible business.

    Good. Play hardball, make Earl report in week 6, then if he plays well? Franchise his ass and hope teams see that he's now healthy and still productive and give us what we want.


    What's to stop him from holding out next year if we franchise tag him? I don't know all the legalities and technicalities so please bear with me.


    Same rules, he has to come back by week 6 of the season to make the contract year count.

    But we can franchise Earl for two more years before his safety number is cap prohibitive. The safety franchise number is barely more than he's making now.

    So yeah, does he want to do this for three more years? I don't get what leverage Earl thinks he has.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13609
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


PreviousNext


It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:30 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online