Duane Brown: Seahawks showing they are built to run the ball

ivotuk

Reaction score
Duane Brown: Seahawks showing they are built to run the ball

“This past game, we just had fun,” Pro Bowl left tackler Duane Brown said Thursday on 710 ESPN Seattle’s The Huddle. “I think the first couple of games there was just so much going on and guys were kinda on-edge. This game it was a lot of laughing on the sidelines.”

A lot of laughing and a lot of running.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/526247/du ... lt-to-run/

Seymour

Reaction score
I seriously hope Brown is nowhere near satisfied with 2.9 yards per rush average we had against Dallas. Nothing to laugh about for damn sure.... (unless you are our opponent). :?:

That will only work against inept offenses. :|

Seymour

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2365nfhc said:
Nice way to immediately pee in the Cheerios. :roll:

Do you disagree with my comment or just dislike it?

Didn't look like Cheerios to me.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
2.9 yrs does suck but better than last year perhaps?

Seymour

Reaction score
IndyHawk":pnjs6qkx said:

I believe we have improved at oline, but we've faced some tough D's and it's early. I just don't see reason to whoop it up at this point like the article indicates some may be.

We are averaging 3.3 YPC for the season, and last year we finished at 4.0 YPC so no at this point we are worse. For comparison in 2014 we averaged 5.3 YPC. No, YPC are not everything, but they are a very good overall indicator of your true rushing abilities.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pass protection can be exhausting.

Run blocking is more fun. You get to hit guys that have spent have the game trying to knock you down.

Run blocking is easier because you don't need to expend half your energy trying to figure out where the defender is going. Or which defender you need to be worried about.

I can see why he prefers it. Most offensive linemen do.

Run blocking is more satisfying on every level because you get to deliver the blows instead of take them.

This shouldn't be weird or surprising at all.

Seymour

Reaction score
Most of us get all that. Do you agree with Brown "that we are built to run the ball" is my question??

I see that as a stretch at best right now personally even though that was our drafting goal.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think with some of our injured OL back?

We sure as hell are built better to run the ball than pass protect.

I don't think we are amazing at run blocking, but at least not as god awful as we are in pass protection.

Then again, I know Wilson doesn't help his OL because he takes long drops and his scrambling can turn a block into a hold in an instant. I imagine it is really difficult to block for the guy. Though I imagine a more traditional QB would be in the hospital after taking all the hits we would allow.

I think we have a better chance relying on run blocking than pass blocking. Long ago my ex-roommate was an ex Alabama OL and he would constantly point out all the nuances of the OL. I probably absorbed maybe 7% of everything he shared so there are probably better authorities than me on this.

But I know run blocking is easier on your guys especially when they are not world beater quality.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
QUARTER 4 12:58 | Seahawks 24, Cowboys 6 The Seahawks capped a 10-play, 72-yard drive in the fourth quarter with a 5-yard rushing touchdown from Chris Carson, who has a career-high 23 carries for 81 yards. That’s 3.5 yards per carry. The run game has room to improve; but I would say that’s pretty good

Seymour

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":159gmq91 said:
QUARTER 4 12:58 | Seahawks 24, Cowboys 6 The Seahawks capped a 10-play, 72-yard drive in the fourth quarter with a 5-yard rushing touchdown from Chris Carson, who has a career-high 23 carries for 81 yards. That’s 3.5 yards per carry. The run game has room to improve; but I would say that’s pretty good

Hate to bust any bubbles but anything under 4.0 YPC is considered mediocre to poor, not "good". Again, last year we averaged 4.0 and that only was up (a bit) because we ran much less in the red zone where numbers crunch down.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Seymour":1ry9lbdm said:
IndyHawk":1ry9lbdm said:

I believe we have improved at oline, but we've faced some tough D's and it's early. I just don't see reason to whoop it up at this point like the article indicates some may be.

We are averaging 3.3 YPC for the season, and last year we finished at 4.0 YPC so no at this point we are worse. For comparison in 2014 we averaged 5.3 YPC. No, YPC are not everything, but they are a very good overall indicator of your true rushing abilities.

Taking Wilson's rushes out of the Equation we averaged 3.32 last year and are averaging 3.29 this year. S in other words no real difference.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
Ok, how about this for trying to stay optimistic. The 3 teams we have played so far rank 2, 4, and 10th in rushing defense. That’s got to count for something right?

Sign37now

Reaction score
Seymour":3rzvwgg0 said:
I seriously hope Brown is nowhere near satisfied with 2.9 yards per rush average we had against Dallas. Nothing to laugh about for damn sure.... (unless you are our opponent). :?:

I think if you hit a hole in one on the golf course you'd bitch that the trajectory of the shot was too flat... :roll:

JGreen79

Reaction score
Seymour":3gqpuzxb said:
Hawksfan78":3gqpuzxb said:

Hate to bust any bubbles but anything under 4.0 YPC is considered mediocre to poor, not "good". Again, last year we averaged 4.0 and that only was up (a bit) because we ran much less in the red zone where numbers crunch down.

I'd take a 0 yard run on first down and a 7 yard run on 2nd down every single drive over what we had last year. Even a 6 yard run on 2nd down is an improvement.

If you could 100% of the time have a drive go 0, 0, 10 for a ypc of 3.3 it would be a good rushing attack.

Not realistic, but the point being made isnt that the run game is good. It's that its better than last year.

chawx

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":hwz0xkkx said:
Ok, how about this for trying to stay optimistic. The 3 teams we have played so far rank 2, 4, and 10th in rushing defense. That’s got to count for something right?

But what if they rank 2, 4, and 10 in rushing defense not because they're great, but because they played poor running teams so far?

(2nd rank) Broncos: Us, Cards, Raiders
(4th rank) Bears: Packers, Us, Cards
(10th rank) Dallas: Panthers, Giants, Us

I mean, I would say the Cards WANT to run...but they're not that good at it right now (3.6 ypc - 28th), Raiders are tied with them (3.6 ypc - 28th), Giants run at a 3.9 ypc (21st), Packers go for 4.5 ypc (10th), and the Panthers are 3rd in the league at 5.5 ypc.

The Broncos have played poor running teams, but they're doing what they're supposed to do, hence why they're #2 in the league. I would say they're a great run defense, but would like to see how they fair against a couple of top 5 teams. Bears, we've all heard how good that Defense is. Dallas, at best, is probably average in the run stopping department.

Seahawks can improve, and really, there is only one way to go because there are only a couple teams worse than us right now.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":2gwyx8b4 said:
Forget trying to point out the positive shit, some of these guys are not content unless they're b*tchin about something.
Brown was asserting that there was SOMETHING POSITIVE to report to us fans.
With all the jumbling around with the Coaching & players, it just stands to REASON, that it all has to start somewhere.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Come on people. We were averaging more than 3 ypc for most of the game. We were mainly in control. The obsession over stats and not game film has to stop

Seymour

Reaction score
Sign37now":12karuow said:
Seymour":12karuow said:

I think if you hit a hole in one on the golf course you'd bitch that the trajectory of the shot was too flat... :roll:

LMAO. Funny you should mention that. I honestly did hit a hole in one at age 15 and that was exactly what did happen. Hit a low fade and bounced and rolled it in and was 90% luck!!. :D :D

BChawkfan

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2ldyu8wh said:
Come on people. We were averaging more than 3 ypc for most of the game. We were mainly in control. The obsession over stats and not game film has to stop

Yeah. What he said.
D.Brown was having fun as were most of us 12's

Latest posts