Duane Brown on Germain Ifedi

Mad Dog

Reaction score
That's why you don't give up on young OL guys until year 3. It's rare a guy can figure it out in his first year from college. The offences are so different in college. Pass rushers are so much more polished in the NFL.

Some guys take a while. I think Ifedi is finally starting to get it. It took Britt, Sweezy, Brown and Fluker all 3 years to become decent to good. To a man they alll sucked as rookies.

You'd think we as fans would learn when this story plays out over and over again.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Really good to read this. Props to Brown for being a teammate and Ifedi for listening. This is why the Hawks have made such great improvement.

quadsas

Reaction score
Ifedi: thank god for Solari, I might have a career in NFL now

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3og0zwhb said:
That's why you don't give up on young OL guys until year 3. It's rare a guy can figure it out in his first year from college. The offences are so different in college. Pass rushers are so much more polished in the NFL.

Some guys take a while. I think Ifedi is finally starting to get it. It took Britt, Sweezy, Brown and Fluker all 3 years to become decent to good. To a man they alll sucked as rookies.

You'd think we as fans would learn when this story plays out over and over again.

Boy....you love to "blame the fans" for pretty much everything huh? I'll bet all those other players lead the entire NFL in penalties that killed drive after drive too huh? :roll:

Give me a break. Ifedi flat out sucked and hurt the team over and over again 2+ years. That he is coming around now is great news, but don't think that getting him away from Cable wasn't a big part of that. We saw Cable even adversely effect seasoned vets like Brown, and that was hard to do. :pukeface:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Something else to give props to.

2017. Ifedi averaged 1.25 penalties per game. 9 false starts, 8 holding, 2 unnecessary roughness and one taunting.

2018. Ifedi now at 0.57 per game (4 total this year). All of them False starts.

His false starts per game has remained consistent. But he's definitely removed the bonehead/immaturity mistakes. And he's most definitely cleaned up his sloppy hand placement. Something I bitched about to high heaven on him leading up to the draft.

Ifedi definitely has turned a corner in many ways. It's not just the eye test that confirms that.

sedrohawk

Reaction score
One of ifedi's false starts was as the play clock expired. So it doesn't really count.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Again to me each game Ifedi is starting to look more and more like a mirrored image of Duane Brown. I also believe having both Sweezy and Fluker has helped Ifedi settled down and stay more collected.

Cable for two years tried to develop Ifedi into his primary “tough guy”, the bully, despite Ifedi struggling with that aspect and mentality prior to the NFL. So I feel that part not put Ifedi out of his element, it made him over emotional.

You can tell he’s a lot more in control this season with Fluker and Sweezy being those big nasties and I think that has tremendously helped him to just play rather being forced to being something he probably wasn’t ready for as young linemen.

toffee

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2yj55hq9 said:
Again to me each game Ifedi is starting to look more and more like a mirrored image of Duane Brown. I also believe having both Sweezy and Fluker has helped Ifedi settled down and stay more collected.

Cable for two years tried to develop Ifedi into his primary “tough guy”, the bully, despite Ifedi struggling with that aspect and mentality prior to the NFL. So I feel that part not put Ifedi out of his element, it made him over emotional.

You can tell he’s a lot more in control this season with Fluker and Sweezy being those big nasties and I think that has tremendously helped him to just play rather being forced to being something he probably wasn’t ready for as young linemen.

And Fant playing "TE" didn't hurt, Ifedi is getting all kinds of help, and he's responding positively.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":u6wlay2d said:
Mad Dog":u6wlay2d said:

Boy....you love to "blame the fans" for pretty much everything huh? I'll bet all those other players lead the entire NFL in penalties that killed drive after drive too huh? :roll:

Give me a break. Ifedi flat out sucked and hurt the team over and over again 2+ years. That he is coming around now is great news, but don't think that getting him away from Cable wasn't a big part of that. We saw Cable even adversely effect seasoned vets like Brown, and that was hard to do. :pukeface:
Good Lawd Seymour, You have to admit that there are more than a couple of folk in here that lambasted the living shit out of Ifedi since he got here.....They like to CLAIM that THEY know something that even Pete Carroll isn't aware of.
A lot of them calling a complete BUST, and for him to be sent packing....Like they KNOW HOW IT ALL ENDS, so they don't even bother to read "The Rest Of The Story".
Tom Cable was probably the WORST O-Line Coach that Germaine Ifedi could have had.
Yes, I realize that you called that, but in GI's defense, Tom Cable got his ass canned (in part) for not helping Ifedi even reach mediocrity.
I'm happy that they canned Cable instead of sending Ifedi off to some Coach on another team, that KNOWS HOW to maximize his potential.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Ifedi deserves some credit for overcoming the negative while he developed. We have seen other players just fall apart and become mentally crippled by the overzealous fan criticism.

xray

Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure that Solari was going to fine Ifedi $5,000 for a false start and $10,000 for holding? What a gr8 idea if true........just kiddin....Coaching is the main reason for Ifedi's improvement . IMO...

DY_Seahawk

Reaction score
I must admit he (ifedi) is proving me wrong so far this year!

Hopefully this more positive run continues for him and we continue to reap the benefits!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
+1, I was ready for him to be cut last year. The fact that we are not talking about him during the games is huge. Plus, we heard so often that he should be moved to Guard etc. But, Fluker is so damn good, I'm sure that was never going to be a real possibility. And IF it was, Fluker is just too good to move from Guard.