Why don't we blitz Bobby more?

Polk738

Reaction score
I feel like when he blitzes he destroys QBs anybody have any other insight? Maybe with Kendricks coming back they'll think about it more?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Wagner is incredibly valuable in coverage. He’s the highest graded coverage LB in the NFL. When you blitz him, you vacate his zone, so it’s important to pick their moments for that.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Anyone can run at the QB if you scheme for it. He's not necessarily an amazing block-shedding pass rusher. He is an amazing cover LB and tackler and that means he's more valuable as the general in the middle of the field diagnosing the play.

His sack in the 49ers game, anyone at MLB could have gotten - he was a free rusher.

His 98 yard INT return for a TD was all about his excellent play recognition. Not every MLB can give you this, and it's what makes him so damn good.

The Seattle D has never been about the blitz. It's always been about scheming for the kinds of smart players they draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
In general Pete's not a fan of blitzing. He trusts his cover 2 and cover 3 scheme with the one high safety to stop most offenses (bend but don't break).........and Bobby is a big part of that middle 3rd run and pass stopping scheme.

So hard to call blitzes with Bobby leaving the center of the field open and expecting less experienced LB's like Calitro, Mingo, and safeties etc to be in the right place and not get gashed.

Also remember we've played a LOT of experienced QB's like Rodgers, Rivers, Goff, Cam, etc who carve up defenses who blitz a lot..............which is why you'll see more blitzing against scrubs like Mullens.

But believe me, when I see offenses just moving up and down the field on us, I am yelling at the TV to blitz more. I hate when we just sit back in our base cover defenses and allow all this yardage. I know it's working most of the time, cause our Red Zone D has been great. But holy crap is it hard to watch.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
We don't blitz him because he doesn't play quarterback.

I'll see myself out.

knownone

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":jwa6x0ru said:

I'll see myself out.
How much do you think we'd have to pay Frank if he started sacking Bobby every play?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Every team knows he’s most scary as a linebacker not a pass rusher (see 98 yd pick six last week). So they rarely account for him in blocking schemes. So when he does pass rush, he’s frequently unblocked. But if we rushed him more, teams would factor that into their schemes.

TLDR: it works but only as an element of surprise.

mistaowen

Reaction score
knownone":31xuur4m said:
MontanaHawk05":31xuur4m said:

I'll see myself out.
How much do you think we'd have to pay Frank if he started sacking Bobby every play?

At least 30 dollars

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I am really impressed with the way he tosses aside offensive lineman when rushing the passer. Powerful, explosive, violent usage of hands, cerebral and instinctual. He’s a force.

Wagner basically does everything well on the field, in addition to being an incredible defensive leader.

If Aaron Donald didn’t have a million sacks, Wagner would be on track for Defensive Player of the Year.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
hawknation2018":rr3xvcja said:
I am really impressed with the way he tosses aside offensive lineman when rushing the passer. Powerful, explosive, violent usage of hands, cerebral and instinctual. He’s a force.

Wagner basically does everything well on the field, in addition to being an incredible defensive leader.

If Aaron Donald didn’t have a million sacks, Wagner would be on track for Defensive Player of the Year.

There's still plenty of season left. DPOY nod might go to a LB who is able to blow up Mahomes.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Wagner isn't a big drinker.

He's rarely blitzed.

That's a good thing.

Isn't it?