Rob Rang: Expect off-season transition (Free Agency)

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
https://twitter.com/RobRang?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Expect another off-season of transition in Seattle, where the #Seahawks have 12 pending unrestricted free agents including DE Frank Clark, FS Earl Thomas, OLB K.J. Wright, OG D.J. Fluker, nickel Justin Coleman, DE Dion Jordan, RB Mike Davis, OG J.R. Sweezy, K Sebastian Janikowski

Janikowski and Earl are clearly gone.
I think Frank gets franchise tag first, then an extension (or simply an extension)

Some tough calls

KJ - He's aging, but still an elite LB. Not sure you have a replacement yet in Calitro or Griffin. If you knew Kendricks wasn't going to prison, I would consider letting KJ walk. Do you give him more than a 1 year deal?

Fluker - He's only 27 but he's injury prone. He seems like a big locker room guy and a leader on the OL, I hope they keep him on a reasonable short term deal.

Sweezy - He is undersized and a mess in pass pro. But he's a good run blocker. I was jealous watching the Colts #1 overall pick Quentin Nelson today. I wouldn't mind a technically solid LG in the draft.

Coleman - He's a little too up and down (Jeremy Lane-ish) but he's been a big playmaker. I wouldn't be pissed if they let Coleman walk, let Griffin play the slot and tried to get a solid outside corner. (I'm not sure Griffin will ever be a #1 CB)

Jordan - If he's willing to sign a one year deal for little money, sure but he's too injury prone to count on. Infact our strong side defensive ends didn't produce much this year.

Davis - Some team might see his value as a blocker, and decent runner and overpay him. With Penny, Carson obviously the future of our run game -- he may be expendable.

legend38

Reaction score
Really don’t see the point in signing Jordan unless it’s really cheap. Pass rushing DE that had a whopping 1.5 sacks on the year.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Coleman, Clark, Fluker are the priorities but Fluker will need a low ball contract given his injury issues. Janikowski, Thomas, Jordan will go and not be noticed at this point. KJ's contract will really depend on the doctors report on his knee. He may be allowed to test the waters before coming back on a low ball low risk deal. Sweezy is another guy you let test the waters and bring back on the cheap if nobody bites. Davis can go and be replaced with McKissic and a 7th round RB in the draft.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I am hoping we are not counting on Shaqueem to be Wright's replacement. Queem, although a great feel-good story, is not an NFL caliber LB talent.

I actually have no idea where he can play other than special teams, but it isn't at the Will.