Best FS of all time, best SS of all time?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Troy Polomolu (the Flyin' Hawaiin, Tazmanian Devil) / Kam Chancellor (Kamtrack, BamBam)

[youtube]UL8diqVaEY0[/youtube]

[youtube]IMghEJ8hLYE[/youtube]

But....

Best tandem all time, think we'll have this one for awhile boys:
[youtube]xF6OLtz280Y[/youtube]

Hotchy

Reaction score
Lol, just quick off the top of my head, Taylor, Lott, and Easley were all better. And all 3 could play either position. Easley should have been a FS actually.

But i do agree, earl and kam might be best tandem

Hotchy

Reaction score
Wasnt a big Troy fan. Steelers just let him freelance . Holmgrem had right idea of going after him in Super Bowl, and Troy was exposed. If only Stevens wouldve caught the damn ball

uncle fester

Reaction score
It’ll be a long time before we again get to sit back and enjoy a safety tandem who dictated games as comprehensively as Kam and Earl.

After having to accept years of patchy safety play in the 90s - and frankly a lot of the 80s after Easley - it still amazes me to think they were Seahawks.

knownone

Reaction score
Troy Polamalu was a strong safety.

If Rod Woodson played free safety his entire career, he'd be my #1 all time. Dude was all-pro at 37 and only took up the position at 34 during which he put up Ed Reed numbers (22int in 4 years).

As much as I love Kam, at strong safety, I'd go with Ken Houston.

chris98251

Reaction score
There have been a lot of great safeties,Steve Atwater, Ed Reed, George Atkinson, Jack Tatum, Lester Hayes, Rodney Harrison, Brian Dawkins, John Lynch, Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott, Kenny Easley, Donnie Shell, Ken Houston, Paul Krause, Mel Renfro.

Those a re a lot of names all were great for their teams and schemes.

What we had with Earl and Kam was special, having the two best at their position in the league arguably complementing each other. Throw in the most physical right side CB I think that may have ever played in Brandon Browner and the best cover CB in the game for a long span in Sherm and you had what we enjoyed.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It's hard for me to say because of all the rules changes geared to offense and being SAFE..
Would Tatum today be anything?Because part of his game was stay away from the middle or I'm killing
you!
Hayes for example needed gobs of pine tar on his hands to catch a football(cheating)
The old rules allowed a lot of things that the rest of old timers could use for advantage(s)
Today they have pretty much nothing but hope you won't get called for holding a jersey.
Great names on lists above but I wish they had just left the game alone.

John63

Reaction score
Hotchy":22hiagjk said:
Lol, just quick off the top of my head, Taylor, Lott, and Easley were all better. And all 3 could play either position. Easley should have been a FS actually.

But i do agree, earl and kam might be best tandem

I agree here, those 3 were great and it is possible Earl and Kam were the best combo

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I get that recency bias is a thing, but I've been watching football for a long time and I can't remember a safety being as explosive as Earl.

Kam is debatable. One can argue Sean Taylor was better, for example. Same for Lott. But as a FS Earl could literally cover the entire field in his prime, and dominated despite rule changes that benefitted the offense

Troy was great but I also feel like he's a bit over hyped

Seafan

Reaction score
Earl and Kam were best tandem of their era. Ken Easley and John Harris were best tandem in team history. They both played free and strong depending on what side of the field the TE lined up.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I sort of feel like were selling Earl a little short in this thread.