Is RW hurt?

poly1274

Reaction score
Just like yesterday’s TNF game Cam Newton didn’t look right nor did he really run with the ball.

RW extended many plays back in 2012-2015 or 16 but now he’s like 50% of what he was. Did all the tackles and sacks take out his knees/legs?

Seymour

Reaction score
They have 35 million reasons to not run Russell.

No he's not hurt! :shock:

TreeRon

Reaction score
OH Brother ! These RW threads are getting crazy.
He's 50% of what he was??????

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I doubt he's hurt. I think Schotty and PC want him to run less and are designing plays for him to stay more in the pocket. Sounds fair given he's an older vet now. No one is as fast as they were at the combine 8 years into an NFL career.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Who knows, but comparing him to Newton is probably not reasonable. Newton has run head into some serious hits and generally has allowed himself to take a pretty good beating compared to Wilson. Wilson rarely takes a big hit. When he runs he gets out of bounds or goes down quick when contact is coming. Very few of his sacks are real hits, they're just dudes getting on him and dragging him down while he curls up. Newton's bigger but even though I don't watch a lot of their games, I've just seen him get whacked.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Seymour":3tpdnnin said:

Frankly, I would prefer Russ to only take about half the snaps of each game. Gotta protect our investment.

CanuckSeaHawk

Reaction score
Comparing Cam Newton to Russell Wilson. After watching last nights Pathers - Bucks game, it appeared CN wasn’t having fun. He was going through the motions. If you watched the Carolina offence, they walked back to the huddle after each play looking defeated. Compare that to Russell Wilson. He is having fun, eager to get going and has an offence that doesn’t look defeated. Yah, sometimes bone head plays are made, but in the long run our team is miles ahead of the Pathers with team spirit and a hunger to get better.

Mick063

Reaction score
Seymour":1lnroosn said:

This is why the "zone read" or "read option" is officially a dumpster fire and should no longer be a staple of the offense. Opposing coordinators know that Russell has to limit his carries just because he is so critical to success and so very, very expensive. Hence, the isolated defensive end that is supposed to be confused by being forced to choose between the running back and Wilson in the "zone read" scheme is no longer confused. He is COACHED to exclusively pursue the running back and ignore Wilson. In the big picture, it is worth absorbing a couple of fifteen yards carries from Wilson to completely shut down the running back. I'm being generous here by saying Wilson will carry twice. Realistically, it is more likely zero to one carries per game. Why have your running game predicated upon Wilson being a running threat when he doesn't keep the ball?

We ride or die on Wilson being healthy. We saw what happened to RG III and what is currently happening to Cam Newton. The read option is putting Wilson in a similar position, but more important, is putting the run game at a huge disadvantage. Basically, if the running back cannot make the defensive end miss, it is a tackle for loss. It also increases the likelihood of offensive holding as the offensive lineman are required to sustain their blocks while the running back is occupied with eluding an unblocked defensive end in the backfield

Seymour

Reaction score
RG knee, Scam, and even Luck were all far more reckless than Russ on taking chances and more importantly big hits in the running game. I think they just need to run him a time or 2 early on then later under "must have" first downs to keep the DE honest and in position.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mick063":1yztzi0z said:
Seymour":1yztzi0z said:

This is why the "zone read" or "read option" is officially a dumpster fire and should no longer be a staple of the offense. Opposing coordinators know that Russell has to limit his carries just because he is so critical to success and so very, very expensive. Hence, the isolated defensive end that is supposed to be confused by being forced to choose between the running back and Wilson in the "zone read" scheme is no longer confused. He is COACHED to exclusively pursue the running back and ignore Wilson. In the big picture, it is worth absorbing a couple of fifteen yards carries from Wilson to completely shut down the running back. I'm being generous here by saying Wilson will carry twice. Realistically, it is more likely zero to one carries per game. Why have your running game predicated upon Wilson being a running threat when he doesn't keep the ball?

We ride or die on Wilson being healthy. We saw what happened to RG III and what is currently happening to Cam Newton. The read option is putting Wilson in a similar position, but more important, is putting the run game at a huge disadvantage. Basically, if the running back cannot make the defensive end miss, it is a tackle for loss. It also increases the likelihood of offensive holding as the offensive lineman are required to sustain their blocks while the running back is occupied with eluding an unblocked defensive end in the backfield

Russell's still quick enough to run the RO, he just has to keep the ball more to make it an effective playcall.

His problem is he doesn't keep it until the 4th quarter, so no defense respects him keeping it anymore......which renders it ineffective.

I'd also like to see the RO playcall tree expanded. Why not install a couple RO QB passes, where Russell keeps it, then drops back and throws a quick out, screen or slant.

Expand it and make it more effective by keeping it more, no need to get rid of the RO.

xray

Reaction score
I think the Hawks are trying to protect him by playing him close . The opposing defenses would love to see him running out in the open . They don't fear his legs anymore . The Hawks OL need to tighten up their play or Wilson could take beating though . 4 sacks so far...

jammerhawk

Reaction score
RW doesn't need to use the RO as much as he did and it makes little sense to expose him to injury by using him as much in this situation. I am absolutely sure the coaches have told him to be careful of exposing himself to easy hard hits, he's just playing safe.

This Cincie game is hard to take much from as the team played a very very conservative game plan on both sides of the ball.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Mick063":nynj0klk said:
Seymour":nynj0klk said:

Good post Mick..I agree the RO should die!
That RW is gone and the days of being a dual threat ended years ago.
I loved it when he was but age and money with the declining speed he
is showing have reduced his capability.
We are stuck with what you see now and hope he improves on his
short passes touch wise to counter the loss and earn some of that
brinks truck that he gets paid.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I will point out that RW ran 4 times in the game against the Bengals. His longest run was 5 yards, the same as Penny's longest rushing attempt.

My prediction: Russell Wilson will run, as he's always ran, when the situation requires.
Sorry to disappoint some, but I don't think he will turn into some prototype statue anytime soon/ever.

He's been with the team now going on 8 years. Time to acknowledge this reality.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Hmm, if we are worried about injuries then PLAY OFFENSE IN THE FIRST HALF so you can sit him in the 4th quarter Pete you freakin moron.

quadsas

Reaction score
Palmegranite":1p2b0txf said:
I will point out that RW ran 4 times in the game against the Bengals. His longest run was 5 yards, the same as Penny's longest rushing attempt.

My prediction: Russell Wilson will run, as he's always ran, when the situation requires.
Sorry to disappoint some, but I don't think he will turn into some prototype statue anytime soon/ever.

He's been with the team now going on 8 years. Time to acknowledge this reality.

oh how DARE you bring Trashenny to this discussion, did you know he averaged 4.9 yards last year? wow the fans have no knowledge on this forum smh my head

xray

Reaction score
He's not hurt...he's constrained by the OL and play calls .IMO

Latest posts