Penny 37 yard TD run

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
You just can't keep a good player down though I know some of you so called experts will try.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
More Penny is fine with me. He is starting to show you what he can do. It took him a year to adjust to your system. But you can see the speed and play making ability he has. I think you will use both. Carson is your pounder. Penny is your speed back with the home run threat. Both of those are useful to an NFL team.

But being here in San Diego I always knew Penny had elite athletic ability. If you can get 10 carries, 62 yards, 6.2 average and 1 TD imagine if you give him the ball more. The biggest problem I see is they always give Penny the ball like 10 - 12 times a game. Give it to him 20, 25, 30 times. That's more the back Penny is. The more you give him the ball the more he heats up and gives you big home run plays. He is not that type of back to get 10 carries and function super well with that. He needs a lot of carries and keeps getting better as the game goes on.

One of the most frustrating things to me was watching him get 8, 10, 12 carry games and people hating on him. That's not the back Penny is. Give it to him 30 times and you will see more than 1 of these big breakaway plays.

Now in fairness he was doing a lot different things in a much different system from what he was used to as a rookie last year. So IMO he was a bit confused. He seems more confident now in knowing what he is doing in your system.

But I personally NEVER doubted his athletic ability or impact as a home run threat. I would say you just need to get him the ball more. At least 20 carries. If you can't get him 25 - 30. Sometimes you will see 2 or 3 of those big breakaway runs if you get him the ball that much. Trust me on that.

But don't hate on Carson completely. He's actually a pretty good banger for the short yardage. The higher upside guy and more explosive guy with much better speed is Penny. Sometimes he shows you that. He will show you that more if you get him more carries.

:D

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":mh21ujht said:
More Penny is fine with me. He is starting to show you what he can do. It took him a year to adjust to your system. But you can see the speed and play making ability he has. I think you will use both. Carson is your pounder. Penny is your speed back with the home run threat. Both of those are useful to an NFL team.

But being here in San Diego I always knew Penny had elite athletic ability. If you can get 10 carries, 62 yards, 6.2 average and 1 TD imagine if you give him the ball more. The biggest problem I see is they always give Penny the ball like 10 - 12 times a game. Give it to him 20, 25, 30 times. That's more the back Penny is. The more you give him the ball the more he heats up and gives you big home run plays. He is not that type of back to get 10 carries and function super well with that. He needs a lot of carries and keeps getting better as the game goes on.

One of the most frustrating things to me was watching him get 8, 10, 12 carry games and people hating on him. That's not the back Penny is. Give it to him 30 times and you will see more than 1 of these big breakaway plays.

Now in fairness he was doing a lot different things in a much different system from what he was used to as a rookie last year. So IMO he was a bit confused. He seems more confident now in knowing what he is doing in your system.

But I personally NEVER doubted his athletic ability or impact as a home run threat. I would say you just need to get him the ball more. At least 20 carries. If you can't get him 25 - 30. Sometimes you will see 2 or 3 of those big breakaway runs if you get him the ball that much. Trust me on that.

But don't hate on Carson completely. He's actually a pretty good banger for the short yardage. The higher upside guy and more explosive guy with much better speed is Penny. Sometimes he shows you that. He will show you that more if you get him more carries.

I made no mention of Carson or anything else . What I am saying is Penny is a good RB right now. How good he will be is still a mystery and will likely stay that way until he is made starter. No i'm not advocating for that I need to see more before I would even think of starting him over Carson. However the gap is closing.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":8rth70uh said:
SanDiego49er":8rth70uh said:

I made no mention of Carson or anything else . What I am saying is Penny is a good RB right now. How good he will be is still a mystery and will likely stay that way until he is made starter. No i'm not advocating for that I need to see more before I would even think of starting him over Carson. However the gap is closing.

I think actually both of your backs are pretty useful. Carson is a good pounder and banger for the short tough yards. I think he is pretty good at that. Penny is your speed, open space and breakaway back. Every NFL team needs all of that. It's just not always found all in 1 back. So in this case it is split into 2 different backs as it is on many NFL rosters. That's fine and nothing to worry about. That's what it is for most NFL teams. I think they compliment each other pretty well actually.

IMO Penny will surpass Carson if you get him the ball more. Give him 20, 25, 30 carries a game and you will see 2 - 3 long breakaway runs and 100+ yards or more. He will add a dimension of speed, explosiveness and breakaway threat that Carson does not have. That's not to say that Carson won't be a big part of your plan. I could see a lot of him on 3rd and 1 or 2. He is good at those really tough inside yards which you have to bang for. I think Carson is pretty skilled at that.

Penny just needed to get comfortable in your system and offense. That is all. It's vastly different from what he was doing in College. Even the way you line him up is different. He was a bit confused his rookie year. It's not unusual for a rookie to be a bit confused BTW in NFL history. Then to make progress in their 2nd year. It's actually more common than not and somewhat more normal than guys who really take off the 1st year.

Penny just needs to continue to get more confident and comfortable. Then he needs a lot more carries. 10 carries a game is not really him. Penny is a 20, 25, 30 carries a game guy. The more carries he gets the more he heats up and you will see many more long breakaway plays.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Another poster used this analogy and I think it fits Penny well. He is the Jermaine Kearse of running backs. Jermaine Kearse is a guy that you love to have on your depth chart. In the beginning he looked like he had potential. He pulled off some of the most amazing catches, and plays that I've ever seen. If you saw his highlight reel you would swear he is the next biggest thing in football.

Unfortunately Kearse had many short comings that made him just another guy at the end of the day. He couldn't execute on the basic fundamentals of football. His route running was suspect, and his concentration and hands plagued him. It caused him to be a league average player in the long run with big play potential. This is where I see Penny.

Penny still has a hard time executing the basics. Vision is his greatest fault. I've seen him miss some really obvious running lanes, or hesitate to go into those lanes. This is concerning because it is a skill you either have or you don't.

The second issue I see is he still seems to need a lot of guidance from Russell as to where he is supposed to line up and be come pre-snap. I'm not sure how well he knows or understands the playbook. He looks especially suspect on pass blocking assignments.

The third issue I see is he is just not that good in between the tackles, which goes back to the first problem he has -- vision. Here he goes down with poorly executed arm tackles and seems to lack balance. Either that or he'll try to bounce it outside, which went well for him today --- but has also caused him to miss opportunities in the past. This run was a good read, he saw a lane to the outside and took it.

Which goes into my last point. I don't think he'll ever be feature back material. He has some major weaknesses that need to be schemed around. What Penny's lot is, is that of a role player. He's a decent receiver, and he's good in space and that can be worked with if he is just a role player.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Best thing about his run was that Carson was one of the first guys down to the end zone to congratulate him. Think I saw Prosise there too. Team.
If you rewatch you'll see what I'm talking about.

Tical21

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":10fu4yzj said:
Another poster used this analogy and I think it fits Penny well. He is the Jermaine Kearse of running backs. Jermaine Kearse is a guy that you love to have on your depth chart. In the beginning he looked like he had potential. He pulled off some of the most amazing catches, and plays that I've ever seen. If you saw his highlight reel you would swear he is the next biggest thing in football.

Unfortunately Kearse had many short comings that made him just another guy at the end of the day. He couldn't execute on the basic fundamentals of football. His route running was suspect, and his concentration and hands plagued him. It caused him to be a league average player in the long run with big play potential. This is where I see Penny.

Penny still has a hard time executing the basics. Vision is his greatest fault. I've seen him miss some really obvious running lanes, or hesitate to go into those lanes. This is concerning because it is a skill you either have or you don't.

The second issue I see is he still seems to need a lot of guidance from Russell as to where he is supposed to line up and be come pre-snap. I'm not sure how well he knows or understands the playbook. He looks especially suspect on pass blocking assignments.

The third issue I see is he is just not that good in between the tackles, which goes back to the first problem he has -- vision. Here he goes down with poorly executed arm tackles and seems to lack balance. Either that or he'll try to bounce it outside, which went well for him today --- but has also caused him to miss opportunities in the past. This run was a good read, he saw a lane to the outside and took it.

Which goes into my last point. I don't think he'll ever be feature back material. He has some major weaknesses that need to be schemed around. What Penny's lot is, is that of a role player. He's a decent receiver, and he's good in space and that can be worked with if he is just a role player.
Vision is his greatest fault? Huh?

Tical21

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":1xo4p67x said:
Northwest Seahawk":1xo4p67x said:
SanDiego49er":1xo4p67x said:

I think actually both of your backs are pretty useful. Carson is a good pounder and banger for the short tough yards. I think he is pretty good at that. Penny is your speed, open space and breakaway back. Every NFL team needs all of that. It's just not always found all in 1 back. So in this case it is split into 2 different backs as it is on many NFL rosters. That's fine and nothing to worry about. That's what it is for most NFL teams. I think they compliment each other pretty well actually.

IMO Penny will surpass Carson if you get him the ball more. Give him 20, 25, 30 carries a game and you will see 2 - 3 long breakaway runs and 100+ yards or more. He will add a dimension of speed, explosiveness and breakaway threat that Carson does not have. That's not to say that Carson won't be a big part of your plan. I could see a lot of him on 3rd and 1 or 2. He is good at those really tough inside yards which you have to bang for. I think Carson is pretty skilled at that.

Penny just needed to get comfortable in your system and offense. That is all. It's vastly different from what he was doing in College. Even the way you line him up is different. He was a bit confused his rookie year. It's not unusual for a rookie to be a bit confused BTW in NFL history. Then to make progress in their 2nd year. It's actually more common than not and somewhat more normal than guys who really take off the 1st year.

Penny just needs to continue to get more confident and comfortable. Then he needs a lot more carries. 10 carries a game is not really him. Penny is a 20, 25, 30 carries a game guy. The more carries he gets the more he heats up and you will see many more long breakaway plays.
I do agree that Penny needs more touches to get into the feel of the game. The problem though is that our offense functions better with a guy that gets you the sure 3-4 yards than the guy that goes 0,1,10. And Carson's physicality makes our team's signature their physicality. That's worth at least as much as production, if not more. And in a vacuum, I don't think I agree that Penny > Carson. Carson is a freak of a physical back, most physical in the NFL, and more explosive than you're giving him credit for. That said, there are opponents like yesterday where what is needed is a little patience and creativity, rather than just running into piles of bodies, and Penny should've gotten 3-5 more carries at the end that ended up going to Carson. He also should've gotten more carries in the playoff game against Dallas, where the lanes were to the outside.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":8aynh8yi said:
You just can't keep a good player down though I know some of you so called experts will try.
:irishdrinkers:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, he looked like a damn good back to me. But if someone has decided he sucks and/or is a bust, they'll have to wait another week to pick the guy apart I guess.

mikeak

Reaction score
Penny has a good week and here it all comes out of the woodwork

Get back to me when he is a consistent runner that picks up first downs which is what the team needs

Most people hasn't said he is a bust in that he can't play in the NFL. Just that he is not playing like a first round pick which is probably somewhat jaded statement from the team selecting a RB at that spot when we needed like 15 other things before a RB in round 1. For last year it is clear that we didn't get a lot of value from that first round pick which was like year 4 of not getting much value from the 1st pick. Quite frustrating

We all hope he is a good RB, still hasn't shown enough consistency and fit with this scheme which is minimum 2 yards per run

sprhawk73

Reaction score
Why was Beast so vital for the Seahawks? He didn't need blockers and turned busted plays and losses into gains. Blocks were appreciated but not required, man I miss the Beast.

Just like with Shaun Alexander, without good blocking it can't come together. I think both Penny and Carson are quality backs but they are not Beast level.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nobody expects them to be Beast level. But on his TD run, he made that move on his own, play was blown up. Loved seeing that shifty move and that was a huge momentum shifter

Jeremy517

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":l94ho3th said:
IMO Penny will surpass Carson if you get him the ball more. Give him 20, 25, 30 carries a game and you will see 2 - 3 long breakaway runs and 100+ yards or more.

No NFL running back has ever averaged 30 carries per game. No running backs in the NFL average 25 carries per game any more, and very few have ever done it. It has been 13 years since any NFL running back averaged 25 carries per game (Larry Johnson), and he was broken down after that year. The last guy to come close was DeMarco Murray in 2014, and he was broken down after that year too. The NFL just doesn't work like that.

And besides, you say he'd get 100+ yards per game if he got 25 or 30 carries? I'd hope so, because that would only be an average of 4.0 YPC or 3.33 YPC, neither of which would be good and one of which would be a terrible average.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
That was a sweet change of direction move to get past Chickillo. But you have to credit the Oline, they had really good movement on that play and took the rest of the Dline out.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Penny is our football version of Jay Buhner.

He hits home runs but sometimes swings and misses. Carson does not, but then he is probably not going to score you any points from outside the 20 either.

I could probably catch Carson from behind. He rarely is going to break free. For the most part, he will move the chains and occasionally break out for 15-20. But if a defense screws up? He still isn't going to make them pay too badly.

Penny can score. That is important when you consider our offense does not even have scoring as a priority half the time. Yesterday that was literally the difference in the game. Penny running for the TD gave us 7 points. We won by 2.

More importantly, Penny is on the roster and productive. Who do you want to use instead? Procise?

Finally, Our OC is starting to actually incorporate passing to the RB as part of the offense. This makes Penny much more valuable because he is a tremendous threat in the open field.