Is Ansah as bad as advertised?

bbsplitter

Reaction score
So here's the thing. Ansah definitely has not held up to his end of the deal, that much I definitely agree with. However some of these articles and opinions seem to be fueled by a lot of misconceptions/tape that simply doesn't exist.

There is a field gulls article in particular which references a bunch of clips of Ziggy's pass rush saying it is a prime example of how ineffective he is. The thing is, those clips represented quick passes, stunts that weren't executed correctly by other players, as well as double teams.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/11/5/20 ... s-sluggish

Ziggy is definitely slower that he was. However I think he still has good form, and nothing I've really seen has indicated to me he has NO shot of improving his stats. If anything I was pretty optimistic that he would return to better form fairly soon.

Am I alone on this?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Outside of a strip and fumble recovery he’s been pretty much invisible.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bbsplitter":23feyho2 said:
Am I alone on this?

It's week 9 and he's on a one year deal, how much longer do we need to wait for Ziggy to do something?

6 games
1 sack
7 tackles

Yes, he's as bad as advertised.

I never fault our FO for taking a chance on a guy like Ansah. But it was a long shot that he could come back from major shoulder surgery and regain all his strength and twitch. It was an long shot, and that long shot failed.

Now we're stuck because there's no one else stepping up, so we have to keep putting him in.

Reaction score
I remember when we had Dwight Freeney, someone well past their peak but he had four sacks in four games and was still released. He always played like a nuisance too, he was notable if not great. When you compare the production the Seahawks got from him to Ansah, it's night and day. Nobody expects a peak Ansah but one sack is not enough.

xray

Reaction score
Why was he even considered to be signed ? A well past prime injured player in recovery mode was front page news around here ..many were swooning over ziggy's signing . :?:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xray":18lkmymi said:
Why was he even considered to be signed ? A well past prime injured player in recovery mode was front page news around here ..many were swooning over ziggy's signing . :?:

He's only 30, so I wouldn't say well past prime. It's more to do with the severity of the injury he was coming off of. Hard to stay in and/or regain your strength with a major shoulder injury.

It was an ambitious and desperate signing, but more importantly showed just how bare the cupboards we're at DE once Clark was traded.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
xray":14pwxtpg said:
Because the post above yours. Freeney was at least decent. It has worked before.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
BoltonWanderer":2sso8ocz said:
I remember when we had Dwight Freeney, someone well past their peak but he had four sacks in four games and was still released. He always played like a nuisance too, he was notable if not great. When you compare the production the Seahawks got from him to Ansah, it's night and day. Nobody expects a peak Ansah but one sack is not enough.
Great point. Freeney still showed some prime Freeney during his short stop here. Him getting released will always bug me.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think he is still not 100 percent of what he was, shoulder injury can heal but getting that raw strength back and then building on it takes time. DE use their shoulders and arms a lot to get guys moved, I don't think he is able to do it at least yet. He will probably look great by next season but not here probably.

knownone

Reaction score
The article is not being entirely fair. Ansah has suffered multiple setbacks this season, and it takes time to regain your confidence and explosiveness. He had a pretty serious ankle injury in the Browns game, and he looks like a guy who needs to string together some games to regain his form. Considering he's only played 30 more snaps than Jarran Reed this season, it makes me wonder why people aren't asking these same questions about Reed.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Can't stand that author. Writes in snotty one-sentence snippets, talks in absolutes. In this case he's using plays that he even acknowledges don't support his argument that strongly, then switches to cribbing comments from others.

So many better writers out there.

ivotuk

Reaction score
knownone":313djerr said:
The article is not being entirely fair. Ansah has suffered multiple setbacks this season, and it takes time to regain your confidence and explosiveness. He had a pretty serious ankle injury in the Browns game, and he looks like a guy who needs to string together some games to regain his form.

Considering he's only played 30 more snaps than Jarran Reed this season, it makes me wonder why people aren't asking these same questions about Reed.

Excellent point. I commented elsewhere that there were comments on 710 about Ziggy looking underweight. I'd like to see them give him more snaps off and play Collier more. Or give Shaquem a shot at rushing the passer.

Largent80

Reaction score
He stinks so far. A MAJOR disappointment. Get Collier way more snaps and needed experience. Ansah is NOT the future and is taking needed time away from our young players while adding ZERO to the line. A failed experiment so far. Prove it otherwise Ansah, you got 7 games.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
xray":1vbk8egz said:

He's been in the league 6 years and is only 2 years removed from a 12 sack season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
knownone":2qcowsyr said:
The article is not being entirely fair. Ansah has suffered multiple setbacks this season, and it takes time to regain your confidence and explosiveness. He had a pretty serious ankle injury in the Browns game, and he looks like a guy who needs to string together some games to regain his form. Considering he's only played 30 more snaps than Jarran Reed this season, it makes me wonder why people aren't asking these same questions about Reed.

Reed's been a cornerstone of the D-line for a good 3-4 years now, so his track record is already solid.

Ansah was a gamble from day one, and so far it hasn't paid off.......and I GUARANTEE you if we had any other options at edge Pete would cut him. That's how little Ziggy's done.

Which yes, not his fault, he's coming off major shoulder surgery and is 20-30 lbs lighter then he should be. But all this shows is how desperate we were to find an edge rusher after Clark got traded, the cupboards were and still are bare.

cymatica

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1u8hcieq said:
xray":1u8hcieq said:
Because the post above yours. Freeney was at least decent. It has worked before.

Freeny had solid technique to fall back on in his last years, Ansah never had that

rcaido

Reaction score
If we had Bennett this D-line would look amazing! We should have brought him back.

xray

Reaction score
SeaWolv":39uwqiqc said:
xray":39uwqiqc said:

He's been in the league 6 years and is only 2 years removed from a 12 sack season.
and what he done for you lately ? HUH?

xray

Reaction score
Carroll and co . were desperate way back then for any pass rush .