Are Pete/Jon Changing the Defensive Scheme?

Are Pete/Jon Changing the Defensive Scheme?

• I'm intrigued actually, yeah, maybe.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • No, this guy is obviously Bobby 2.0

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • What in the hell is going on?

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • When pigs fly.

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

SNDavidson

Reaction score
This is weird, I think Pete might, just a little, be opened to a change in scheme, no?

Someone else mentioned he did this early on before he had ET, etc., guess we'll see, just thought this would be fun to look back on later.

jmahon316

Reaction score
I voted Bobby 2.0.

People say MLB is the QB of the defense, and I've always thought Wagner was under-rated compared to Kuechly who the media LOVED way more.

Brooks' College HC compared him to Wagz himself, which he used to coach Wagner back in the day. True, Wagner may have looked better when he became a pro, but I think this kid has the drive to learn and become better every day from the interview I watched when he was picked.

If Brooks can come close to Wagner's production levels within the next few years, I'll be very excited and think this pick was perfect for us.

Edit: Also forgot to add, Brooks has experience playing both OLB and ILB, meaning he could temporarily be Kendricks' or Wright's replacement while learning under Bobby. This is a very big deal.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
My only suspicion is that they possibly plan on playing a ton of base defense, like last season, but going more blitz heavy. The strength of this defense seems to be the secondary (the group of Dunbar, Griffin, McDougald, and Diggs has scary upside) and their LB's. Blitzing early and often seems to be the best way to play into their strengths while masking the glaring weakness of the defensive line. Of course It would go against everything Pete has done in the past, preferring to just rush four and limit big plays. However, Pete has also never had a defensive line as poor as this one has the potential to be.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Hendo66":1jtwz3fi said:
Not so sure Norton could handle a change in philosophy.

I don't understand the Norton hate, or the hate for any Seahawk's D-coordinator under Pete. This is Pete's defense. He's the one constant behind what has been a very conservative defensive scheme his entire tenure here. It has always been simple coverage and a bend don't break mentality. The difference between a conservative defensive scheme looking good vs. looking bad is talent. Gus Bradley didn't suddenly become a better defensive coordinator in 2011. He had better talent. Seriously, Gus Bradley defenses were TERRIBLE before that 2011-2012 influx of talent. Another case in point are Dan Quinn's defenses in Seattle vs. Atlanta.

Norton was tasked with calling plays for the least talented Seahawk's defense since the Bradley led 2010 squad. Do you think Gus Bradley or Dan Quinn would have made this defense look better? I don't.

xray

Reaction score
Hendo66":1tv35muw said:
Not so sure Norton could handle a change in philosophy.

Not sure Norton will be around .

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I think we are in for a, probably temporary, change. We really didn't have a LEO last year, and I think Irvin and Brooks will both have a part of that role that Carroll loves so much.

Not saying he lines up as an end, more of a philosophy thing. Much like we integrate 3-4 concepts into our 4-3 scheme, I think we integrate some LEO concepts into the Will position.

Fade

Reaction score
They changed it last year. It failed.

Pete mentioned in his last press conference of the season, that they were going back to how they used to do things on defense. So the experiment failed.

For those that don't know, they were a Tampa 2 defense for long stretches last year. They're looking to go back to being a press cover 3 team in 2020.

The 27th pick wasn't a reflection of changing scheme, but an over correction to reaching for need last year and having it fail spectacularly. So this year they made sure to just take the best player available in their eyes.

Wagner and especially KJ are getting long in the tooth. They needed to start drafting their replacements.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Fade":c1zjwbxx said:
They changed it last year. It failed.

Pete mentioned in his last press conference of the season, that they were going back to how they used to do things on defense. So the experiment failed.

For those that don't know, they were a Tampa 2 defense for long stretches last year. They're looking to go back to being a press cover 3 team in 2020.

The 27th pick wasn't a reflection of changing scheme, but an over correction to reaching for need last year and having it fail spectacularly. So this year they made sure to just take the best player available in their eyes.

Wagner and especially KJ are getting long in the tooth. They needed to start drafting their replacements.

This .

It will become clearer obviously when we see the rest of the draft and possible FA signings but PC has a way he
believes works and when he has the personnel . It's hard to argue with