Day 1 FA in the bag, Who's left?

DJrmb

Reaction score
So with the Free Agent Frenzy today and the blockbuster trade for Harvin how does that effect the off-season plans? Who do you guys see still out there that you want to bring in? Does not having a 1st round pick effect what we "need" to get in free agency? Is there even any real talent left out there?

Here are a few guys I am keeping my eye on:

DE John Abraham - The pass rushers didn't get much attention today. With guys like Avril, Barwin, Bennett, Umenyiora, Freeney, and Abraham still out there the market is shaping up to give us a great deal on one of these remaining players. Abraham would be a solid veteran presence that had a very good year last year and provides more versatility than other guys. He plays DE but also saw some time at 3-tech DT last year and in years previous. He also bring a knack for ripping the ball out causing extra damage. He had 6 forced fumbles last year to go with his 10 sacks! Just for reference that's more fumbles than Avril, Barwin, Umenyiora, and Freeney Combined last year!

DT/DE Richard Seymour - His teammate Desmond Bryant hauled in a big load in day one but I haven't heard anything about Seymour getting any interest. No scheduled trips, no roomers of teams interested. Seymour is another guy that can play all over the D-line providing great versatility. He was on pace to be one of the top DT's last year before a hamstring injury that knocked him out but did not require surgery. He's known as a great leader and a guy that has helped players develop their talent. Seymour shouldn't be too concerned about money as he will make 14M next year from the Raiders from the remainder they still owe him. He'd be a great veteran presence that can still produce for a Seahawks Super Bowl run in 2013.

OLB Gerald McRath - The fastest LB from the 2009 NFL combine, McRath has the long athletic build that Pete Carroll covets (6'3" 230Lbs). He has been said to be a great teammate and a natural leader. Known on the field as a very sure tackler with the length and speed to cover most any TE, he missed the entire 2012 season with a torn Patella. He's still young at 26 years old and could be a forgotten player that's another steal for John and Pete

CB Antoine Winfield - Another older veteran (going to be 36 years old), but a guy that has yet to drop off much. He's found a niche and he does it well being ranked as the #1 slot CB in the league the last few years running, including last year. The Vikings coaching staff is extremely upset with his release and are hoping to bring him back at a reduced rate. We could use an upgrade on nickel and Dime coverage schemes particularly covering the inside slot. Why not sign the best guy in the league?

CB/S Charles Woodson - Yep you got it, another wiley old veteran. Woodson is a HOF player with super bowl experience. He has stated that he's not concerned about money but just wants to find a team where he can compete for another championship. Woodson is no longer a shutdown CB on the outside but can play the inside slot CB position well enough to still be an asset. He also has shown an ability to play some safety giving you a bit of versatility. Always a sure tackler and a good pass rusher when blitzing, Woodson's biggest value to the Seahawks may not even be the talents he brings to a young defense. The 49ers lost a very good starting safety in Dashon Goldson and don't have a lot of money. Bringing in Woodson to keep him away from San Fransisco next year could be just as valuable as what he can do on the field.

DE/OLB Shaun Phillips - Still one of the top pass rushers in football Shaun Phillips is coming off a very solid year (50 Tackles and 9.5 sacks). He quieted the critics that said he couldn't come back from his injury in 2011 by playing all 16 games in 2012. Phillips is still young enough (31 years old) to have a few years left. San Diego is up tight against the cap and is transitioning to a new Head Coach so they will not be bringing Phillips back. If he gets lost in the shuffle he could be a great option at a reasonable price for Leo in Pete's hybrid defense.

There are more guys out there that could fit some needs/wants on this team but these are the guys that stuck out to me. Ultimately I think we'll bring in 2 maybe 3 guys to add to whoever we draft. If I had to put money on it I would lean towards Abraham and Seymour as very good possibilities while keeping an eye on Woodson and moving to bring him in if it looks like the 49ers are moving that direction. Can't wait to hear what some of you all want us to go after or who you think we'll sign, if anyone at all.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Good post. Although we should sign Woodson only if we want Woodson. Not to keep him away from SF. Just worry about our own roster, make it the best it can be, and the rest will take care of itself.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Antoine Winfield is the best slot corner in the NFL and a great tackler. He would be icing on the cake for the Seahawks secondary.

nategreat

Reaction score
Give me Charles Woodson and John Abraham, and I'll run around the streets naked for the next five days. Seriously. I'd be so pumped.

EDIT: I didn't know Winfield was so good in the slot. Maybe he'd be a better fit for what we'd need.... but I like Woodson's ability to play safety too.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
The current regime has shown little to no inclination to sign twilight veterans on the wrong side of 30 to complement its roster, so with the possible exception of John Abraham I wouldn't hold out much hope of seeing any of these guys in Seahawk blue.

McGruff

Reaction score
Alan Branch and Jason Jones are the two best DT's left. DT's thinned out prior to today thanks to franchise players, and really went off the board quick.

DE's are still all left looking. Avril, Abraham, Osi, Freeney . . . still pretty wide open.

Winfield makes a ton of sense.

Dustin Keller as another weapon to compliment Miller.

Boiler

Reaction score
I want Shaun Phillips, Dustin Keller and Cliff Avril. Also, bring back Carson Wiggs and sign Kyle Orton or Curtis Painter as a backup QB.

And Craig Terrill and Chike Okeafor should be considered for the Ring of Honor.

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
I totally forgot about Keller. I would love to bring him in as a compliment to Miller. He was good in NY and that was with Mark "Butt Sacked" Sanchez throwing to him.

I liked Jones when he was in there, but due to his Injury history I am weary to bring him back (He's yet to play 16 games in any of his 5 seasons). I actually think Seymour or Abraham (Playing him inside at 3-tech from time to time) would be a better short term option. Then you try to find a gem in the draft to develop with the time you are given by bringing in a veteran to handle the immediate need.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Michael Bennett is still around and might be had cheaper than Desmond Bryant was. He has a past here and could play the DE/DT tweener role J.Jones had last year. Grab Abraham too and we would only need 1 or 2 of our mid round picks to fill out the depth chart on the DL.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I really want branch and Jone back since we didn't get Bryant. Michael Bennett would be another good get for us as well.

kf3339

Reaction score
I wonder if we have any interest in Dorsey at all. When he came out of college he was considered a really good 3tech DT, but played out of position in the Chiefs 3-4 scheme. Perhaps a change to a 4-3 for him would be just what he needs to get his career back on track.

You have to believe his contract terms would be pretty reasonable at this point.

NYCoug

Reaction score
No love for Michael Bennett?

I've been pulling for the return of Michael Bennett all along. He says he wants to play the rest of his career with the Bucs and that he's willing to wait for them to match any offer that he gets. Would be nice if the Hawks offer him a contract and the Bucs refuse to match. Just another dude with a chip on his shoulder. Then again, he might not want to come back to Seattle considering we tossed him aside like a piece of trash after an excellent preseason in his rookie year. He's versatile, can move along the line, and get after the passer. I'm a bigger fan of his than I am Bryant, but hopefully he can be had for cheaper since consensus is that Bryant's the better player.

Amobi Okoye is an another guy that I could see the Hawks bringing in to camp on a 1 year deal. He's still young, has a ton of untapped potential, and just seems like the type of FA the Hawks have brought in and had success with in the past. I'd love to bring in Okoye. I'd prefer him over Dorsey to be honest.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Largent80":10lfekp9 said:
Pete posted this on FB.....Hmmmmm.....

We've got some exciting #WeDay Seattle news coming tomorrow morning! We are just 15 days away from this: http://youtu.be/7jTqzWpXITM !!

https://www.facebook.com/coachpetecarroll?fref=ts

Uhhh, #WeDay huh? The whole thing seems very Jim Jones-y to me. Can't quite put my finger on why.

I'm guessing the news is that Russell Wilson will be at WeDay and will change the life of every single person in attendance.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
NYCoug":3flqz5ar said:
No love for Michael Bennett?

I've been pulling for the return of Michael Bennett all along. He says he wants to play the rest of his career with the Bucs and that he's willing to wait for them to match any offer that he gets. Would be nice if the Hawks offer him a contract and the Bucs refuse to match. Just another dude with a chip on his shoulder. Then again, he might not want to come back to Seattle considering we tossed him aside like a piece of trash after an excellent preseason in his rookie year. He's versatile, can move along the line, and get after the passer. I'm a bigger fan of his than I am Bryant, but hopefully he can be had for cheaper since consensus is that Bryant's the better player.

Amobi Okoye is an another guy that I could see the Hawks bringing in to camp on a 1 year deal. He's still young, has a ton of untapped potential, and just seems like the type of FA the Hawks have brought in and had success with in the past. I'd love to bring in Okoye. I'd prefer him over Dorsey to be honest.

We got your love for Michael Bennett now!!!!! heck yeah, this is awesome. I fell just about as good as I did after we won our playoff game at Wash this year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
NYCoug":2gp5ms57 said:
Largent80":2gp5ms57 said:
Pete posted this on FB.....Hmmmmm.....

We've got some exciting #WeDay Seattle news coming tomorrow morning! We are just 15 days away from this: http://youtu.be/7jTqzWpXITM !!

https://www.facebook.com/coachpetecarroll?fref=ts

Uhhh, #WeDay huh? The whole thing seems very Jim Jones-y to me. Can't quite put my finger on why.

I'm guessing the news is that Russell Wilson will be at WeDay and will change the life of every single person in attendance.
Pete is the chairman of We Day Seattle. http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... c08535ec78

NYCoug

Reaction score
In the words of Tony Montana, "I was only kidding!" about WeDay being Jim Jones-y. Although I could totally see Pete Carroll developing a cult following in a past life, if he hasn't already here haha

And Wen, I'm like a kid in a candy store right now! With all the FA commotion, I thought for sure the ship on Bennett had sailed. Best surprise of the day. The best part is that there's a surprise every day now!

Latest posts