Must have player in FA or Draft

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Given the changes this week, who's now your must-have player, either a free agent and/or from the draft? Mine's changed from Calijah Kancey and Steve Avila to Mazi Smith and Jack Campbell. With Wood's age and Mone's injury, the Hawks desperately need a nose tackle and Mazi Smith seems to be the best of the group. For contexts, I have us drafting Jalen Carter at #5. Please, let's not turn this into another "why we should or shouldn't draft Carter" thread. We already have several of those. Here's the problem I have with Smith. There's a good chance we won't be available at #37. Is #20 too early to draft a two-down NT? Normally I would say yes, but he seems to be a perfect fit for the Hawks' most pressing need.

My 1b must-have player is LB Jack Campbell. I think he could be a plug-and-play, two-contract player for the Hawks. One of his strengths is his ability to discard blockers and make the play, something Brooks and Barton couldn't do. He also seems to be pretty good in zone coverage. He was this year's Butkus award winner and also won the William V. Campbell award (a combination of football, academics, and community services). The Hawks would probably need to use pick #37 on Campbell.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I too would love to see us draft Campbell. Has all the tools needed plus the tape says he can do it.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Given the changes this week, who's now your must-have player, either a free agent and/or from the draft? Mine's changed from Calijah Kancey and Steve Avila to Mazi Smith and Jack Campbell. With Wood's age and Mone's injury, the Hawks desperately need a nose tackle and Mazi Smith seems to be the best of the group. For contexts, I have us drafting Jalen Carter at #5. Please, let's not turn this into another "why we should or shouldn't draft Carter" thread. We already have several of those. Here's the problem I have with Smith. There's a good chance we won't be available at #37. Is #20 too early to draft a two-down NT? Normally I would say yes, but he seems to be a perfect fit for the Hawks' most pressing need.

My 1b must-have player is LB Jack Campbell. I think he could be a plug-and-play, two-contract player for the Hawks. One of his strengths is his ability to discard blockers and make the play, something Brooks and Barton couldn't do. He also seems to be pretty good in zone coverage. He was this year's Butkus award winner and also won the William V. Campbell award (a combination of football, academics, and community services). The Hawks would probably need to use pick #37 on Campbell.
You think he’s available @37?

I have my doubts

massari

Reaction score
DT A'Shawn Robinson

A’Shawn Robinson is one of the best run defenders in the NFL who isn’t named Aaron Donald. His 38 tackles on designed rush plays through Week 11 (when he was healthy) were tied for fourth-best among NFL defensive linemen … with Donald.
He can be used as a nose tackle, run stopping defensive end and a situational pass rushing defensive end
Robinson is a brute in the trenches and will sort through the trash and fight until the whistle to make a play on the ball-carrier. He not only does a great job of hiding, peeking, disengaging, and attacking but he also has superb tackling form. He’s very flexible and does a nice job of contorting his body to penetrate through the offensive line and disrupt the play. Robinson diagnoses plays well and displays the motor necessary to play the position.
Appreciation post ashawn robinson v0 v7idlgl6r8k81

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
If we are not taking Carter, I have been trading down from #5 with some team with a pick between 11-16th, getting a 2nd round pick in exchange, then trade #20 for something between 23-28 with a 3rd. I have been taking Kancey in mid teens but there are other one could pick in mid teens, then use 2nd second pick on Mazi. Under this scenario, we shall have 3 second round picks, for LBs, etc., It all worked under PFF simulator, nor sure in real life.

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
If we are not taking Carter, I have been trading down from #5 with some team with a pick between 11-16th, getting a 2nd round pick in exchange, then trade #20 for something between 23-28 with a 3rd. I have been taking Kancey in mid teens but there are other one could pick in mid teens, then use 2nd second pick on Mazi. Under this scenario, we shall have 3 second round picks, for LBs, etc., It all worked under PFF simulator, nor sure in real life.
I wouldn't mind trading down from #20 to get an extra second round pick. To me, the second round has a lot of value this year.

Mick063

Reaction score
I want a Chris Carson clone. I loved our rookie running back that could burst for the distance, but I want a "move the chains" guy as well.

toffee

Reaction score
Roschon Johnson is starting to become the guy I really need to come away with in this draft. They need a real compliment to K9, and Roschon is the exact guy for the job. Really no backs as physical as he is to be found elsewhere in the draft.
Roschon to K9 would be like Carson to Penny,

toffee

Reaction score
Exactly, and he played the role to perfection with Bijan
for a short few games when we had Penny and Carson both healthy, we were going places. Too bad they bad got injured at the same time, and there went our .... was it 2019 championship run?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
for a short few games when we had Penny and Carson both healthy, we were going places. Too bad they bad got injured at the same time, and there went our .... was it 2019 championship run?
Yep. I was at both games in Philly that year, as I live on the east coast. 17-9 wins both times. Penny's burst in person is incredible, as is DK's overall physicality. Philly fans aren't all they're talked up to be. One screamed in my ear a few times, but that's it. Jadeveon Clowney killed Wentz in the playoff game and the whole section looked at me, thought he was gonna get me killed - but as it turns out, they were angrier at their own team than they were the opponents.

Never would've thought I'd get to see Marshawn Lynch score a playoff touchdown live in 2019. That was a good year. Felt like they should've made the championship game off the Griffin brothers sack, that was a magic play.

toffee

Reaction score
Yep. I was at both games in Philly that year, as I live on the east coast. 17-9 wins both times. Penny's burst in person is incredible, as is DK's overall physicality. Philly fans aren't all they're talked up to be. One screamed in my ear a few times, but that's it. Jadeveon Clowney killed Wentz in the playoff game and the whole section looked at me, thought he was gonna get me killed - but as it turns out, they were angrier at their own team than they were the opponents.

Never would've thought I'd get to see Marshawn Lynch score a playoff touchdown live in 2019. That was a good year. Felt like they should've made the championship game off the Griffin brothers sack, that was a magic play.
That was our last "super bowl year" and it was built on the back of Carson and Penny, when they went down, I started asking to trade Wilson. Not a popular opinion at the time lol. And yes, Johnson has become a 'must draft' on my mocks, and a late round 3rd down back would be nice addition too.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
On offense, mine is WR Jonathon Mingo.

On defense, mine is Edge Lukas Van Ness.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score
Roschon Johnson is starting to become the guy I really need to come away with in this draft. They need a real compliment to K9, and Roschon is the exact guy for the job. Really no backs as physical as he is to be found elsewhere in the draft.
I know what you're saying. I wonder if Roschon Johnson is being overlooked because he played on the same team with Bijan Robinson. He ended up with an almost identical yards per carry as Bijan this year. He didn't run as fast as Bijan in the 40, but he was still fast enough to be #11 among RBs at the combine. But his 10-yard split was identical to Robinson's, and good for 3rd best among RBs. They're almost the same size, too.

They're projecting Johnson to go in the late 3rd, early 4th. The draftnetwork.com is projecting him to be the 126th pick. Guess who has pick number 123?