Tate drawing the top CB the last few weeks?

BigBallsPete

Reaction score
I haven't watched the All 22 or studied every snap, but a few weeks back I noticed teams seemed to be defending Golden as our WR 1.

Colts #1 CB Vontae Davis - Not sure who Davis was guarding in this one...
Titans #1 CB Alterraun Verner - Seemed to be covering Tate the majority of snaps
Cardinals #1 CB Patrick Peterson - Seemed to be covering Tate the majority of snaps
Rams #1 CB Janoris Jenkins (Finnegan was limited to nickel back duty only) - Seemed to be covering Tate the majority of snaps

To defend Rice's poor numbers this year, many have stated that Rice was drawing the other teams best corner/bracket coverage and therefore was opening up opportunities for others (like Moss in NE). That him just being on the field was drawing defensive attention whether he actually made the catches or not. I don't think that was the case the past few weeks, but I would like to hear from the guys here that break down film if Golden really was getting defended like a #1 since the Titans game.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
i just did a quick peek at the cardinals game since Peterson is probably the most 'premier' #1 CB in the past few games and yes, he seems to be on Tate on the majority of man-coverage plays.

Axx

Reaction score
Shows how much def. Coordinators respect rice

OP
OP
BigBallsPete

BigBallsPete

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11gv3uwa said:
Why is this confusing.

#1 receiver = #1 DB.

Actually that's not always the case. For instance in Miami, Brian Hartline has more catches & yards but Mike Wallace is still defended like a #1. The question is, when did Golden become our #1 in the eyes of those who try to defend us?

Last year, I distinctly remember Peterson shadowing Rice in both games. Teams watching our 2013 tape probably saw the same thing the many here saw; that Rice was not the same guy this year.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2958ucwp said:
Why is this confusing.

#1 receiver = #1 DB.

You only need to look at the Seahawks to know this isn't always the case.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
lets cut to chase here.

Have some of our offensive issues been due to the fact that Rice has been hampered with a knee injury, and if so could not fielding a gimpy receiver actually improve things offensively for us?

IMO yes it should, even though I'm in the camp that feels that the loss of Rice is no small thing.

I'ts all sort of moot though so long as our offensive line is terrible.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2iogsl12 said:
Why is this confusing.

#1 receiver = #1 DB.

Most people think Sidney Rice is our #1 WR because of his contract.

McGruff

Reaction score
Many teams will put their top corner on the second receiver to eliminate half the field and then run bracket coverage on the top receiver so looking at matxhups alone doesn't tell the whole story

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Basis4day":2g4k7sd0 said:
Sgt. Largent":2g4k7sd0 said:
Why is this confusing.

#1 receiver = #1 DB.

I didn't say it was always the case. But when teams play man to man, it is the case.........which is what the OP is talking about. Obviously if the defense is playing zone, or the #1 WR moves inside to avoid press coverage (like Fitzgerald has been doing this year), then coverage switches.

McGruff

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3govljzg said:
Basis4day":3govljzg said:
Sgt. Largent":3govljzg said:
Why is this confusing.

#1 receiver = #1 DB.

I didn't say it was always the case. But when teams play man to man, it is the case.........which is what the OP is talking about. Obviously if the defense is playing zone, or the #1 WR moves inside to avoid press coverage (like Fitzgerald has been doing this year), then coverage switches.

Actually in man coverage corners will usually stay on one side of the field and play whichever receiver is on their side

Latest posts