What Good Does It Do Us To Let Our Coaches Interview Now?

Sturm

Reaction score
I understand that head coaches want their assistant coaches to succeed, and also to be known as someone who doesn't hold back others. But what possible good does it do Pete to let his coaches interview for HC jobs while we are in the middle of a playoff run?

If one of these guys gets hired, I can only imagine that it would have a negative effect from there on out. Even if it doesn't affect the coach and the way he prepares for the next game, you'd think it might affect the players who play for that coach, knowing that he won't be there next year.

Maybe I'm making too much of this, but if I were a coach, I wouldn't let my assistants interview with other teams until the year was over.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with them interviewing this week. We don't even know who we are playing yet, so gameplanning is at a minimum this week and the players are off until tomorrow.

What I have a problem with is interviews during the game week. Especially like last year how Bradley interviewed the DAY BEFORE the Falcons game.

You can't possibly be giving 100% to your job when you are also spending the week preparing for the biggest interview of your life.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Prevents them from developing a vengeance I guess. Pete always talks about how he aims to give his coaches a stepping platform to higher positions.

amill87

Reaction score
Erebus":172ycuin said:
It helps in being able to lure the best up and coming coaches to fill those vacancies.

This is a big part of it.

Also nowadays, teams want to get their guy as fast as possible so he can get to work. If our team held back a coach until we were done and the other team hired a coach before ours got to interview, that would likely create some animosity.

I'm surprised the Niners coaching staff has stayed as strong as it has. At some point, those guys will likely get annoyed not getting interviews while their rival team is pumping out head coaches. Keeping employee moral up is important and the coaches are employees to Pete and the Hawks.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Erebus":swduag88 said:
It helps in being able to lure the best up and coming coaches to fill those vacancies.
Exactly what Pete said in his presser. It makes Seattle an attractive coaching destination for the guys hired to replace those guys.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Obviously, Pete doesn't wring his hands over whether he can get good coaches to come and replace those who may leave.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Pete's coaching style is largely developmental. That extends to the coaching staff.

10 years from now there will be a Carroll coaching tree branching all over the NFL.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Erebus":2g3fedpc said:
That's my thinking. It creates a perception around the league that if you do your job right you will get a shot at the top jobs in the league.

drdiags

Reaction score
NFL Rules permit it for teams not playing this weekend. Pete has said he would do whatever he could to help his coaches get where they want to go. He cannot turn around and deny them the chance for his own short term gain.

The NFL should put a moratorium on hiring of coaches during the playoffs. The successful coaches get penalized since teams choose not to wait for them until after the Superbowl. This is better than Gus getting interviewed the evening before the Falcons last year. The NFL will not do this, since College coaches are also in play and the Universities need to replace ASAP any coaches hired away from them, due to recruiting.

It is just a big mess. I know posters got mad last year because of the interviews being done while the team had a playoff game but nothing will change until the NFL decides it needs to.

kobebryant

Reaction score
This bye week is the best possible time.

If you don't grant permission until the playoffs are over, which could be a month from now, all of those jobs may be filled and your guys unfortunately missed out on the opportunities. That could breed resentment amongst the assistants and make it harder to hire ambitious coaches in the future.

If you're a successful team but don't let your guys interview until late Jan/early Feb your guys may never get their chance - and Pete is where he is because at different points (SC,Paul Allen) someone gave him a chance.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I agree it helps to get good coaches in to replace ones that get hired out..I too wish there was a freeze on all hires till end of playoffs..This way the ones still playing can focus on job at hand..

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Erebus":1m6gdj83 said:
That's my thinking. It creates a perception around the league that if you do your job right you will get a shot at the top jobs in the league.

Snohomie

Reaction score
SeahawksRawk":37nlkfaz said:
I thought the NFL had a policy that a team could not contact any coaches of another team until that teams season was over.

Could swear I have heard this a few time before.

If a team wants to interview one of our coaches, they have to get permission from the Seahawks FO.

I don't think we're losing a huge amount of time. Carroll has the coaching staff practice interviewing regularly. Everyone is already prepared for the interview, so they can limit the disruption. I think having a reputation as developing up-and-coming coaches will help us attract up-and-coming coaches regularly, and that alone is worth a few interviews.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
The NFL is a League of Giant Egos! Pete, deep down inside, would enjoy being the next Bill Walsh. To make your indelible mark in this league by creating a new "coaching mentality" like Bill did.....creating a new "coaching tree". Might as well start in 2014.

HereToRead

Reaction score
Mojambo":txke5zbe said:
Pete's coaching style is largely developmental. That extends to the coaching staff.

10 years from now there will be a Carroll coaching tree branching all over the NFL.

Its a slight stretch because Pete is included from the Bill Walsh coaching tree via Bruce Coslet via Sam Wyche. Sam Wyche being an assistant with the 49ers from 79-82 before becoming the HC of the Bengals with Coslet as his OC, when Coslet was the HC of the Jets, Pete was his DC and then became the coach of the Jets.

Subzero717

Reaction score
HereToRead":b86yqtx2 said:
Mojambo":b86yqtx2 said:

Its a slight stretch because Pete is included from the Bill Walsh coaching tree via Bruce Coslet via Sam Wyche. Sam Wyche being an assistant with the 49ers from 79-82 before becoming the HC of the Bengals with Coslet as his OC, when Coslet was the HC of the Jets, Pete was his DC and then became the coach of the Jets.

He is but there were no backsies called. Therefor, it starts all over again once he came back from SC.

I have no problem with it at all. As a position coach looking for work and you have to choose between PC and working for a world class A hole that won't let you grow professionally, I think its clear where they are more likely to choose.

chris98251

Reaction score
Look at it this way, if you worked in your present position and your employer could stop you from advancement because they valued you where you are at how would you feel about that employer. Especially say you were making a 60,000 salary and if you got the position could be making 600,000 just as an example. Also added instead of being a team member be the team captain.