'The Tip'

kigenzun

Reaction score
Once upon a time, Joe Montana rolled right, lofted a wobbly lob, and basically pulled a miracle victory out of his back pocket against the Mighty Cowboys. When Dwight Clark came down with that ball in the back of the end zone, it was an epic defining moment in sports, and the 49ers went on to win their first SuperBowl. This came to define their team and led to them becoming a storied franchise known for excellence. To the tune of those 5 golden rings we keep hearing about.
There are many moments like this throughout sports history: Bird Stole The Ball, Michael Jordan's heroic buzzer beater jumpers, Kirk Gibson's hobbled Walk Off Homer, The Do You Believe in Miracles? USA Hockey Team, The Catch, and many many more...
However, something happened tonight that we all witnessed as special; a franchise defining moment in Seattle.

'The Tip' by Richard Sherman, into the waiting hands of Malcolm Smith, was the nail in the coffin 3rd turnover to seal the victory in tonights game over the 49ers. And is every bit of an epic sports moment for Seattle in 2014, as The Catch was for San Francisco way back in 1981. IMO 'The Tip' will be the moment we all remember, that helped us break through to our first SuperBowl victory i.e. The Moment That Defines A Franchise. Tonight was special. May we all remember it forever. Go Hawks!

Attachments

• The Tip by Richard Sherman.jpg
    The Tip by Richard Sherman.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,341

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Excellent EXCELLENT post!

The "Tip" will be remembered as a defining moment in our franchises history just like all the other great moments in NFL (sports) history!

jkitsune

Reaction score
Man, I was so delirious at the game by that point I barely even remember seeing it happen. I just saw it going to the endzone, Sherman and Crabtree go for it, and it being deflected as everyone crumpled to the ground. I couldn't tell if it was picked, or caught, or if there'd be a flag, or what. And then everyone else starting screaming and I realized what happened - I just started hugging everyone around me like they were family. Chills.

Same deal on that 4th and 7 TD by the way. I think we'll remember that one for a long time, too.

If we can win our first Super Bowl, those moments will go down in Hawks history.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
AGREED!! I will never forget that play for the rest of my life.

49ers

Reaction score
You know what's ridiculous? He's one of the top 3 corners in the league, arguably the best.

But this play wasn't anything extraordinary to me. He's made so many better plays.

He was in position, covering Crabtree well, playing defense against a pass that should never have been thrown in the first place because Crabtree wasn't open.

He made the kind of play I would expect every DB in the league to make.

If anything, what should be noted was that Sherman was only thrown to twice all game long. The last one out of desperation. That's the sign of a great CB.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
49ers":31jzancm said:
You know what's ridiculous? He's one of the top 3 corners in the league, arguably the best.

But this play wasn't anything extraordinary to me. He's made so many better plays.

He was in position, covering Crabtree well, playing defense against a pass that should never have been thrown in the first place because Crabtree wasn't open.

He made the kind of play I would expect every DB in the league to make.

If anything, what should be noted was that Sherman was only thrown to twice all game long. The last one out of desperation. That's the sign of a great CB.
I generally don't respond to Whiner fans on this board, but I think this is an excellent post especially the bolded part. You're right that Richard has made better plays, but keep in mind none were bigger to this team and franchise and that is the point the OP is making. Joe Montana made better throws in his career than "The Catch", but it propelled your team to a decade plus of greatness. This play by Sherman could well do the same for our franchise.

49ers

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3e9gskm8 said:
Joe Montana made better throws in his career than "The Catch", but it propelled your team to a decade plus of greatness. This play by Sherman could well do the same for our franchise.
Yup. Very true. Well said, sir. Well said.

jdblack

Reaction score
49ers":3r4kjwg2 said:

I don't know about that. Crabtree had some separation due to a push in the back, so Sherman was out of position. Against other DBs Crabtree would've had better luck, either because he didn't need to push in the first place, OR the DB didn't react as well, OR the DB was not athletic/tall enough to get a hand on it, and I highly doubt that even if another DB does all of those things that the DB has the presence of mind to tip it to Smith.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Another view from the opposite side that I saw today....really shows just how good that pass was...Sherman is just better

1553192_643918018989700_1921536129_o.jpg