Been there let's not do that again

Northhawk

Reaction score
Not to devalue what this team has achieved but as fans we've been here before.

While I was one of those who was just happy we were in the big game in 2005, this time nothing less than the Lombardi Trophey will do.

It's tough not only because of the opponent but because of the circus that the SB has become. Players and coaches have to do 20X more media than usual. Lots of distractions.

I'll be inteersted in how Seattle prepares.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I disagree and do not think this team has to have a Superbowl win in order to validate their season. They won the NFC championship over their main rival and have a 15-3 record on the season. This will go down as one of the best Seahawks seasons in our history no matter what happens in two weeks.

I think the "Superbowl or bust" notion that modern NFL fans have is a result of viewing things as deterministic; thinking that outcomes can be deconstructed into finite causes and those same outcomes would always happen again given those same factors. Reality and the NFL is more probabilistic; there are many possible outcomes and we only see one. Any team can beat any other team with the right circumstances due to randomness. The good teams are the ones who minimize the chances of losing as much as possible but they cannot eliminate it and as a result you cannot overreact to any one game - even the Super Bowl.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Although losing the SB would be a big disappointment, I too agree that we achieved a great deal this year. Yesterday was my Super Bowl. Although I want nothing more than the Seahawks to be World Champions (I've only waited 30 years), this season was officially successful to me once we beat the 49ers in the NFCCG.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
The playoffs are a crapshoot, definitely. My rational mind says that one game is the worst kind of small sample size possible, that these teams would have to play at least a best-of-nine to see even a bit about which team is really better.

My irrational mind for once wants to go to a parade for my favorite team and doesn't want to end up like the Vikings or Bills as far as Super Bowls go, and nothing less will do.

Inspector

Reaction score
The superbowl is the cherry on top of the sundae. I want a cherry.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
It's not a cherry, it's the whole enchilada. And I want it.

Regarding the players and the media, I'm not worried. Pete and Russell and others will see to it that the team stays focused.

The main thing that makes this different from SBXL*, in my view, is that there is no way this can be a one-sided media show. In 2006, the media coverage was All Pittstink All The Time -- they followed the rustbucket storylines, and ignored the equally compelling Seahawk story lines, and IMO created the stage for the debacle that eventually happened.

plyka

Reaction score
Aros":1cfvklqy said:
Although losing the SB would be a big disappointment, I too agree that we achieved a great deal this year. Yesterday was my Super Bowl. Although I want nothing more than the Seahawks to be World Champions (I've only waited 30 years), this season was officially successful to me once we beat the 49ers in the NFCCG.

Man in two weeks if the hawks lose you'll be singing a different and you'll be heart broken for a good 12 hours.

mikeak

Reaction score
The season to this point is a success

The only thing now is one game left and we can fail to win it or succeed in winning it. The game will be judged on its own and people will remember a good season with a great ending or a horrible ending

At this point the mindset should be there is nothing but winning. The rest of hte season is already in the books it is done and irrelevant