Where do you rank all time Seattle sports athletes now?

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Russell in my eyes surpassed Griffey & Payton. Sherman probably 4th. Lynch and Kam up there too.

We're so spoiled with this team and this win too many stars for us to swallow.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is the greatest Seattle athlete of all time.

No he is the greatest athlete in history.

No, he is the greatest human to ever walk the face of the earth

SonicHawk

Reaction score
He has a long way to go to pass Griffey. He's getting close to Payton & Kemp but not there.

It's impossible to compare when he's still playing an just won the SB yesterday ha!

OP
OP
H

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
SonicHawk":4fdf0fr2 said:
He has a long way to go to pass Griffey. He's getting close to Payton & Kemp but not there.

It's impossible to compare when he's still playing an just won the SB yesterday ha!

Something Griffey and Payton never did, both came close and my childhood is molded with the two of them as my sports heroes, but man nothing feels better than winning and Wilson was the one who did it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":2h314fmx said:
Russell Wilson is the greatest Seattle athlete of all time.

No he is the greatest athlete in history.

No, he is the greatest human to ever walk the face of the earth
Ok let's not go overboard there he isn't Jesus even if we wish he would be.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Depends on your frame of reference. I personally would place Edgar above Junior on my ever so short list of Mariners. Shawn Kemp and GP were my two favorite Sonics. Dave Villwock and Chip Hanauer for Hydros. My list of Seahawks is substantially longer. And it just got reshuffled a bit.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":2ouzc4lq said:
SonicHawk":2ouzc4lq said:

Something Griffey and Payton never did, both came close and my childhood is molded with the two of them as my sports heroes, but man nothing feels better than winning and Wilson was the one who did it.

Ricardo Lockette also has more championships than those guys... Do you place him above Griffey and Payton?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Great thread topic. A question that if I answered now, I'd probably have to edit later. But atm I'd have to rank them:

Griffey
Payton
Wilson

That's no knock on Wilson (3rd all time???). But the sports and surrounding casts are just so different. I think it probable RW will eventually take the top spot, but after just 2 seasons, I can't put him over the Glove and certainly not Griffey. I think RW would agree wholeheartedly.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SonicHawk":hx6yur4x said:
hieroglyphics":hx6yur4x said:
SonicHawk":hx6yur4x said:

Ricardo Lockette also has more championships than those guys... Do you place him above Griffey and Payton?

Brilliant.

dbmack

Reaction score
Russell is #1 to me. I liked Griffey and would put him at my #2 but I'm not a baseball fan at all and haven't watched a Mariners game in years. I never rooted for the Sonics because I'm a former STH of the Portland Trail Blazers and was at their championship game. (I live closer to Portland than I do Seattle.) I don't follow basketball that much any more but I would rank some of the former Portland players on my list and not the Sonics, most of whose names I don't even remember.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
I think it's something you can only judge once their careers are over. Even before the SB, I think Wilson's trajectory was on par with Griffey based on his presence and community involvement. I would put Edgar up there by Griffey, too. I don't think Payton is close to either of those, but a distant 3rd.

Wilson's now done something that none of the others have. So for me, that means his trajectory exceeds Griffey. He still has a long way to go, but if he stays on schedule, when he retires (as a Seahawk of course), he'll go down as the greatest.

mbtitleist

Reaction score
I'm surprised Felix hasn't been mentioned in this thread. He has been on absolutely terrible Mariners teams but loves the area enough to have stayed here his whole career so far.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Agreed. Felix needs more love.

But it's easily Wilson #1 now.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hell I would say Randy Johnson also, but lets be real here, it all depends on your generation, us older fans in Seattle remember Huskies as well. Early days of the Sonics, there have been great players on bad teams as well, Felix is a good example.

Elgin Baylor went to Seattle U don't forget.

HawkWow

Reaction score
chris98251":3bzqp5ia said:
Hell I would say Randy Johnson also, but lets be real here, it all depends on your generation, us older fans in Seattle remember Huskies as well. Early days of the Sonics, there have been great players on bad teams as well, Felix is a good example.

Elgin Baylor went to Seattle U don't forget.

Want to start a war? Mention Baylor's name in the same conversation as Jordan's. A bit before my time, but I've studied tons of film on the man. Like Oscar Robertson, few understand how great Baylor was in his era. Ridiculous, actually.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Griffey, GP, and Largent are in the conversation. They had HOF careers, but Russell has the title and has arguably changed the city itself in just two years. I grew up a huge basketball fan and was madly in love with the 95-96 Sonics, but Kemp? Really?

Kakaww

Reaction score
For me, Wilson is behind Griffey, Largent, Edgar, Randy, Gary and Shawn. Might even put Sikma and Freddy Brown up there if I'm not living in the moment. They all had long, proven careers though and gave me tons of great memories. I think the ones he will have a hard time surpassing if he keeps it up will be Griffey and Largent.

Also, man I miss the Sonics.