NFL Opener? (speculation)

seahawks51usc

Reaction score
Hearing the Seahawks will play the Niners on opening Thursday night. Not sure how accurate this info is but TIFWIW.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Since the NFL has not released the schedule, I'm going with inaccurate.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37kzk5sz said:

Every year there seems to be a few games (like the opener) that tend to "leak" out before the full schedule. Without a source, I would take anything now with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't be surprised if we hear our actual opponent for the season opener before the full schedule release

Polaris

Reaction score
seahawks51usc":xon8n992 said:
Hearing the Seahawks will play the Niners on opening Thursday night. Not sure how accurate this info is but TIFWIW.

Possible I suppose (we'll know for sure soon), but I am dubious. I would think the NFL would want to showcase their newest stadium on Week 1 on national TV which would mean the Niners would play at home likely on Sunday Night.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I would be stunned if we open with the 49ers. Those two matchups are arguably the most anticipated of the 2014 season.. they are ratings gold no matter when they are happening, so no sense burning that card on your first game.

Not to mention, with the Niners opening a new stadium.. and MNF holding a double-header with the second leg being a west coast team, I think that makes SF a prime candidate to open the year on MNF.

IMO the only two teams that make a world of sense for the Thursday kickoff are the Packers and Cowboys.

OP
OP
S

seahawks51usc

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3viv5zmt said:

Obviously if the NFL had already released its schedule, I wouldn't find any need to post this info here as we could all just go to NFL.com or ESPN.com to get it.

This is what I'm hearing from my sources. Again, info may be wrong but I guess we'll find out in a couple days.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
seahawks51usc":zxzulnyc said:
This is what I'm hearing from my sources.

.NET sources have Carson Palmer and Jermichael Finley as Seahawks. ;)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seahawks vs. Niners is what I predicted for the opener, we'll see if it happens. I think it'd be the best choice.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
The comments section at the bottom of PFT articles doesn't count as "sources".

Happy

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1oyo5cuk said:
seahawks51usc":1oyo5cuk said:
This is what I'm hearing from my sources.

.NET sources have Carson Palmer and Jermichael Finley as Seahawks. ;)

WE HAVE A QUARTERBACK AND HIS NAME IS CHARLIE!!! <slams phone>

Cartire

Reaction score
There's that term again, sources.

The biggest loop hole in journalism.

Can't say who they are, or they may not be apt to be an informant. Which means you can never know the validity of said sources. Yet, we don't believe a journalist unless they say they got it from the unnamed source.

A catch-22 of retardation.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":100l753i said:
Seahawks vs. Niners is what I predicted for the opener, we'll see if it happens. I think it'd be the best choice.

Based on what?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":nfs1dvzz said:

It doesn't make sense for the league, honestly.

That's a matchup that's going to draw tons of viewers. Why waste it on the kickoff game, which is already going to draw tons of viewers? That game is better off as a marquee game in mid-season.

Not to mention that since the NFL began having the SB winner host the kickoff game in the 2004 season, only twice have they done divisional matchups... and both times involved the Giants. Only once has it involved teams from opposite conferences (Colts vs. Saints in the 2007 season opener).

I think the league will want to avoid the cross-conference and divisional matchups, based on history. That really leaves us with the Giants, Cowboys, or Packers. My money is on Green Bay, as they promise the best challenge.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
volsunghawk":10yslryw said:
RolandDeschain":10yslryw said:

It doesn't make sense for the league, honestly.

That's a matchup that's going to draw tons of viewers. Why waste it on the kickoff game, which is already going to draw tons of viewers? That game is better off as a marquee game in mid-season.

Not to mention that since the NFL began having the SB winner host the kickoff game in the 2004 season, only twice have they done divisional matchups... and both times involved the Giants. Only once has it involved teams from opposite conferences (Colts vs. Saints in the 2007 season opener).

I think the league will want to avoid the cross-conference and divisional matchups, based on history. That really leaves us with the Giants, Cowboys, or Packers. My money is on Green Bay, as they promise the best challenge.

Bingo

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3a1jocmf said:
Based on what?
Based on what most NFL fans want to see, and my own opinion. Seahawks-Niners is the best rivalry in football right now, and the 49ers want revenge.

Also, I never said I thought it was the most likely one. It's just the one I want to see.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2jwrh1pb said:
Hasselbeck":2jwrh1pb said:
Based on what?
Based on what most NFL fans want to see, and my own opinion. Seahawks-Niners is the best rivalry in football right now, and the 49ers want revenge.

Also, I never said I thought it was the most likely one. It's just the one I want to see.

You will see it. Two times and maybe a third.

The NFL opening up with Seahawks-Niners would be similar to a fireworks show just starting with the finale. For all the reasons volsung stated, sitting on that matchup for a later date (I've speculated Thanksgiving night could be one of the matchups) makes the most sense.

At least that's what my sources tell me.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawks51usc":23v6l3m9 said:
Sgt. Largent":23v6l3m9 said:

Obviously if the NFL had already released its schedule, I wouldn't find any need to post this info here as we could all just go to NFL.com or ESPN.com to get it.

This is what I'm hearing from my sources. Again, info may be wrong but I guess we'll find out in a couple days.

Who are these anonymous "sources?"

No offense, but I hate when people say vague stuff like "I heard" or "someone said"...........and then don't provide a source link.