Russell Wilson under pressure and in the pocket

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I just wanted to quickly share these numbers from PFF before I went out. They looked at, charted, and grabbed the statistics for all QBs when under pressure.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/wp-con ... essure.png

Interesting stuff about our QB (sometimes relative to other QBs):

- He's well above the median in completion percentage, accuracy, and yards per completion when under pressure. He was second only to Josh McCown in that last statistic.

- His INT percentage under pressure, also well under the median, is only half of his TD percentage on plays under pressure.

- I'm sure one thing Wilson and his receivers will work on is his completion percentage under pressure. It's above the median, as mentioned, at 49.3%, but it isn't at the elite level that Manning or Rivers were at last year (the 57%-58% completion percentage range).

- You'll note that cumulatively, PFF grades him as the best of the young QBs, with only Andrew Luck coming close to his level. Cam Newton struggles with throwing INTs against pressure (almost six percent INT rate). Kaepernick really struggles to make good things happen against pressure. His success rate when being pressured is only just over on 20% of plays and he has a 67.9 QB Rating. Foles is hot garbage against pressure; Tannehill's numbers are weird, but he isn't playing at a high level against pressure either.

- Russell Wilson graded out the best against the blitz of all QBs by PFF's measure.

- One more note: If you look at their charting and statistics for QBs in the pocket, Russell Wilson is a top ten pocket QB, with his over 100 QB Rating, 8.1 YPC, and over 66% completion percentage being particularly notable. The link to that is below.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -scramble/

sc85sis

Reaction score
But, he's a "limited quarterback" isn't he? Jaws said it, so it has to be true. :sarcasm_off:

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Nice work by PFF. I assume ESPN will use these statistics to defend Russ....

Ahaha...I couldn't finish that last sentence with a straight face.

grizbob

Reaction score
sc85sis":2ickx0f7 said:
But, he's a "limited quarterback" isn't he? Jaws said it, so it has to be true. :sarcasm_off:

Well...He IS limited in height. BUT it isn't the handicap some said it would be :thirishdrinkers:

warden

Reaction score
In general, short QBs are a thing to stay away from in the NFL

Russell Wilson is the exception not the norm. He is one of the very few that defy the odds

CANHawk

Reaction score
One thought about Pmanning & rivers completion % under pressure compared to RW; those guys tend to call a hot route and dump it off real quick for a small to moderate gain. RW on the other hand is still looking for the home run and uses his quicks to extend the play and take the long shot down field.

Very different approaches to dealing with pressure.

sc85sis

Reaction score
grizbob":1jufy3qv said:
sc85sis":1jufy3qv said:

Well...He IS limited in height. BUT it isn't the handicap some said it would be :thirishdrinkers:
Yes, but I got the impression Jaws was referring to more than just Russell's height.

Anthony!

Reaction score
sc85sis":30lu3nfm said:
grizbob":30lu3nfm said:
sc85sis":30lu3nfm said:

Yes, but I got the impression Jaws was referring to more than just Russell's height.

Jaws is defending himself, remember he was the one that said Luck was the best of the young QBS, and would be the first to win an SB and that Rw was avg at best. So rather than say he is wrong he is coming up with excuses. Jaws is old school your QB must be over 6 foot or they are not good. I mean every time he talks about Rw it is about height, which should be irrelevant as of now. Heck Jaws ranked him 12th last year on his QB thing on the paid part of ESPN and flat out said if he was 6'2" or bigger he would have been higher. That's all you need to know.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Anthony!":crmvo4vg said:
sc85sis":crmvo4vg said:
grizbob":crmvo4vg said:
sc85sis":crmvo4vg said:

Jaws is defending himself, remember he was the one that said Luck was the best of the young QBS, and would be the first to win an SB and that Rw was avg at best. So rather than say he is wrong he is coming up with excuses. Jaws is old school your QB must be over 6 foot or they are not good. I mean every time he talks about Rw it is about height, which should be irrelevant as of now. Heck Jaws ranked him 12th last year on his QB thing on the paid part of ESPN and flat out said if he was 6'@' or bigger he would have been higher. That's all you need to know.
Douchebag Jaworski also said Krapperdink was on his way to the HOF and he picked the Donkeys to win XLVIII based on what he saw on last year's PRESEASON game between Denver and Seattle. "Nuff said.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Hmm..I dont like Kaep and hate to defend him..but under pressure he often runs.. so.. overall how he does under pressure is probably better than indicated here. Wilson as well. Manning has a better completion percentage..but overall "positive play percentage" would be a better indicator.