imho, for Lynch it's about loyalty

ivotuk

Reaction score
Loyalty is something he's craved all his life and now, I think, he feels like the team is being disloyal after mentioning "running back by committee" (did you see how fast they retracted that statement?) and all the talk (by pundits) of Lynch being cut in 2015.

When he called Michael Robinson Mike asked him why and Marshawn said "It's not about the money."

Remember how tough it was for Matt Hasselbeck to deal with not being re-signed? He commented later on that the hardest part was knowing that they were building something great there and they didn't see him as part of it. Well they have built something great and soon it may be without Beast Mode who was a major factor in that foundation.

I think Lynch remembers that (if they can cut Hasselbeck...) and even though his contract means the team can keep 'Shawn here through 2015, they also have the option of cutting him next spring. I don't think Marshawn wants to go anywhere else, he loves it here and he loves this team, he wants to be a part of the future but here's these "young bucks" pressuring him at the line of scrimmage.

I love Marshawn and I hope they can get something worked out so that he's here this year, and here because he wants to be, not because he has no leverage. It's a business, but Lynch is a loyal man that has given a lot to this team and is getting near the twilight of his career. It's got to be a tough position to be in.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
They didn't cut Hasselbeck. They made Hass an offer before the lockout, and Matt wanted more money.

Largent80

Reaction score
He got a 4 year deal that he loved (at the time). Now he has decided that it isn't good enough. That's pretty much it. He has almost made himself untradeable as well with his decision. If he can't be here, then where?

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Largent80":221qo2l2 said:
He got a 4 year deal that he loved (at the time). Now he has decided that it isn't good enough. That's pretty much it. He has almost made himself untradeable as well with his decision. If he can't be here, then where?

Yeah, I can't stand with Beastmode on this one.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If it isn't about money, how come money will fix the problem?

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":380ee624 said:
They didn't cut Hasselbeck. They made Hass an offer before the lockout, and Matt wanted more money.

Yea that wasn't a literal sentence. IIRC, Matt wanted multiple years and the only offered him one. Then when he wouldn't sign it, they went a different direction.

As to the money part, we're hearing all kinds of rumors that it's about the money, but how much of that is fact?

The only quote that I've heard from Marshawn is that it isn't about the money. imho I believe that it's about the longevity with this team.

Sure he will get more money if he is here in 2015, but I think that's where his issue is, what happens at the end of this year?

General Manager

Reaction score
ivotuk":1y6h044w said:
Sarlacc83":1y6h044w said:

Yea that wasn't a literal sentence. IIRC, Matt wanted multiple years and the only offered him one. Then when he wouldn't sign it, they went a different direction.

As to the money part, we're hearing all kinds of rumors that it's about the money, but how much of that is fact?

The only quote that I've heard from Marshawn is that it isn't about the money. imho I believe that it's about the longevity with this team.

Sure he will get more money if he is here in 2015, but I think that's where his issue is, what happens at the end of this year?

He gets a new contract with another team it's that simple this is a business there are no guarantee's this is known.

Largent80

Reaction score
Next man up. I'm over Lynch. Thanks bud for the sour taste in the mouth and I'm not even a hooker.

The Radish

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":tcir38dn said:

They were still negotiating at the start of the lockout and after told him they had decided to go another direction. That sounds like cutting him to me.

Tical21

Reaction score
Next man up only goes so far. This guy is the heart and soul of the team. We are not the most baddest team in the league without The Beast. He sees everybody out there getting these big contracts, and he just wants the recognition for being the focal point of the offense. Let's face it. Without the defense putting 8 or 9 guys in the box to stop him, a lot of the passing game becomes a lot more difficult. When a guy gives as much of himself to a team as he has, you take care of him. You take care of him or you risk alienating everybody else. There isn't a guy there that deserves it more than he does. He isn't asking for much either. Just throw a mil or two on next year's pie and call it good.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Largent80":1lt3tbf2 said:
Next man up. I'm over Lynch. Thanks bud for the sour taste in the mouth and I'm not even a hooker.

To me, it is kind of shocking to see this kind of mentality toward Lynch from this fanbase. Kind of sad, too.

I'm not going to offer an opinion on whether he should be paid more. But to outright dismiss everything he's done for the franchise ("over him") and to say he's left a sour taste in your mouth? Wow, okay.

pmedic920

Reaction score
So many Lynch threads.
I haven't heard one person say that they don't like #24.
I think we all love him in the way fans love players.
I also think that most of us want him on the team.
I personally would love to see him in Hawk colors until he retires.
That being said.
I don't want him here at the cost of jacking up the "cap plan"
He deserves all he can get, sure.
This thread is about loyalty, loyalty is or should be a two way street.
If the team can make him happy without putting the team at risk, they should do it. If they can't they should in good faith, explain to ML why they can't.
I'm not convinced that The Beast would have flourished in many other camps. I also think that the debt is mutual. Seems to me that the Seahawks and ML owe each other equally.
If the time has come that ML must move on, I am sad.
I am also a Seahawk fan regardless of who makes the final 53.
As much as I hate to say it, if that 53 does not include the "Beast" , next man up.

Polaris

Reaction score
The Radish":2qdhfojv said:
Sarlacc83":2qdhfojv said:

They were still negotiating at the start of the lockout and after told him they had decided to go another direction. That sounds like cutting him to me.

Yes, but Matt wasn't a part of Seattle the moment the season (and the lockout) started, and the Seahawks warned Hasselbeck that the moment the lockout started, the deal they were offering him would be off the table and they would go a different direction. Matt (and I believe he's said this himself later on) didn't believe this. He was wrong.

The point is that if you aren't part of the team because you are no longer under contract then you aren't cut and Hasselbeck wasn't a part of the team the moment the 2011 season started.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Largent80":2roqt9dq said:

Damn really? I for one will forever be grateful for everything Beasts done for this team and have no ill feelings toward him.

And I think this is him just thinking he has leverage when he doesn't. This team has depended on him on offense basically since the day he arrived. However, he's getting up in age and the young offense is starting to grow with each other. I'm sure the franchise has full faith in the guys they currently have in camp. Adding Beast back just solidifies it.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
The only quote I heard indirectly from Marshawn was from MRob and he said it wasn't about the money but it was in a way about the money. It's confusing and MRob probably did a poor job relaying Marshawn's position. Problem is Marshawn doesn't speak for himself when he needs to AND now he needs to.
I like Beastmode the athlete but moreso I am pulling for Marshawn the shy person who must overcome his social awkwardness. Man up. If you feel you have good years left then speak your mind and force the team to make a move.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Loyalty? How about him being loyal, it's a 2 way street. He signed a big contract just 2 years ago, be loyal and live up to your end. RB in the NFL aren't worth near as much as they used to be, they don't get drafted high or paid as well, it's the way it is. I understand he wants a few more $ before he hits the RB wall that all backs hit, but to bad for him RB is the easiest spot to replace.

Steve2222

Reaction score
CPHawk":2s9cgz2u said:
Loyalty? How about him being loyal, it's a 2 way street. He signed a big contract just 2 years ago, be loyal and live up to your end. RB in the NFL aren't worth near as much as they used to be, they don't get drafted high or paid as well, it's the way it is. I understand he wants a few more $ before he hits the RB wall that all backs hit, but to bad for him RB is the easiest spot to replace.

I agree for the most part with everything you said. However, there's talents at HB like AD, Charles, Shady, and Beast that are rare and game changers above other backs.

Donn2390

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3buq2l27 said:
Largent80":3buq2l27 said:

To me, it is kind of shocking to see this kind of mentality toward Lynch from this fanbase. Kind of sad, too.

I'm not going to offer an opinion on whether he should be paid more. But to outright dismiss everything he's done for the franchise ("over him") and to say he's left a sour taste in your mouth? Wow, okay.
ML is all for loyalty then he should show that loyalty and be in camp. It's kind of shocking to see his attitude towards the fan base. He got his payday, now he is just being a belligerent jerk who wants to be begged.
He is just one tool in the toolbox. If he wants to remain a petulant child, then it's time to move on. He is a disruption to the team.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Donn2390":1f0mbngv said:
DavidSeven":1f0mbngv said:
Largent80":1f0mbngv said:

ML is all for loyalty then he should show that loyalty and be in camp. It's kind of shocking to see his attitude towards the fan base. He got his payday, now he is just being a belligerent jerk who wants to be begged.
He is just one tool in the toolbox. If he wants to remain a petulant child, then it's time to move on. He is a disruption to the team.

I don't think he's a disruption or distraction at all. This team has too much talent to depend on one player (not named Russell Wilson).

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
The Radish":2ctc3n5i said:
Sarlacc83":2ctc3n5i said:

Except for the not owing him any money part. Or his not being on the team since he was a UFA.

And the reason this distinction matters is because it shades the OP's argument (however unintentionally) towards painting the front office as the disloyal bad guys.

Latest posts