Browns claim OL Michael Bowie off waivers.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Creating a new thread, so the right info is out there.

Background: Seattle placed Michael Bowie on waiver/injured due to a shoulder injury. According the the Times, Seattle had to do this because Bowie had less than four vested years in the NFL. Seattle's other option was to keep him on the 90-man roster until the first cut-downs (at which time they could've put him on IR).

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Browns/status/496050388077125633[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/73likebo/status/496054472347779072[/tweet]

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Big takeaway seems to be that Seattle didn't think it would be worth retaining Bowie on the 90-man roster in order to retain his rights. They gambled by throwing him on waivers. May not have been a big deal to them given some of the things that have been said about Bowie's off-season (bad).

kearly

Reaction score
This transaction saves Seattle roughly half a million in cap space. If the team thought Bowie was a lost cause, this could actually be considered good news.

Thanks for making a separate topic here so we could see it easily.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1agz452l said:
So did they break that "unwritten rule"?

The Patriots have poached a couple waived/injured guys over the past few years. Everyone is on notice at this point that Belichick puts no stock in the "unwritten rule." Therefore, seems it would natural for other teams to follow suit. The unwritten rule only works if every team abides by it.

Donn2390

Reaction score
I was hoping he would work out and kept the faith until the end, however I'm really surprised he was picked up. He is out for the entire year, so they have to wait a year at least to see what they have in him.
Also, if he couldn't control his weight in the off season, how is he going to do with a year off sitting in front of the TV???
He must have been a freebie to take the change on an injured player with a rep for not keeping in shape???

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kearly":1o3xeacb said:
This transaction saves Seattle roughly half a million in cap space. If the team thought Bowie was a lost cause, this could actually be considered good news.

Thanks for making a separate topic here so we could see it easily.
That, and it's hard to know that he'd have been able to take the job away from the guys that were replacing him in the competition.
He did have a Year of experience over Britt, but, even that may not have been enough.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Like I said in the Pats thread...If it's not written, it's not a rule.

I have zero enmity at the Browns for this.

TXHawk

Reaction score
There are players on the 90 man roster they know aren't going to make the team so they could have easily protected Bowie if they had wanted to. Bowie was expected to compete for the starting RT position and he showed up to camp overweight and out of shape. I'm pretty sure they were sending a message to the rest of the team by waiving him. "Always Compete" isn't just a catch phrase, it's what they expect from their players.

seedhawk

Reaction score
So, Carp gets a pass for being overweight and perhaps lazy and Bowie doesn't. I bet there is something else going on here. Either with Bowie, or whomever could be his replacement.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Carp was suffering from a knee injury that Pete has recently admitted they tried to rush Carp back from too early. Bowie had no such excuse for showing up out of shape.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
seedhawk":1cw0g5vn said:
So, Carp gets a pass for being overweight and perhaps lazy and Bowie doesn't. I bet there is something else going on here. Either with Bowie, or whomever could be his replacement.

The Hawks didn't pick up Carp's 5th year option. He's gotten the message as well.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I'm glad that Bowie got claimed. Now the Hawks don't have to pay him a dime, don't have to be responsible for his surgery and rehab, and don't have to have him count against their salary cap this season (not that that matters much at this stage). And they effectively made an example of him to the rest of the team. There's simply no excuse for a player who has a golden opportunity to win a starting job at a wide open position to come back out of shape, which invariably leads to injuries as it predictably did for Bowie. The guy absolutely has talent and potential, but he blew this one big time. There's no way around that.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm 99% sure Bowie's IR money that was saved will roll into next year's cap figures (or to be technical, it's an extra expense that was avoided). It's not much, but every little bit counts if the Hawks want to keep Avril after extending Wilson.

drdiags

Reaction score
seedhawk":316vpmne said:

Well if your statement is true regarding Carp, one still was a 1st round pick and the other a mid-to-late 7th round pick. There still is that unwritten truth about GMs giving their high picks a little more leeway. At least that is what I think has to be added in the comparison of the two.

kearly

Reaction score
Do not get in Pete's doghouse. He'll send your ass to Cleveland. AT BEST!

TalontedNoseRider

Reaction score
Godspeed gentleman of largeness that is Bowie. Now that you're in Cleveland, may thy's armpits bask in the glory of never being dehydrated ever again.

I guess it opens the door for Cory Brandon http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Brandon...though I must say it a appears to be an uphill battle considering he never really cracked the starting line up in college.

Hawks46

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":31j4eaif said:
I'm glad that Bowie got claimed. Now the Hawks don't have to pay him a dime, don't have to be responsible for his surgery and rehab, and don't have to have him count against their salary cap this season (not that that matters much at this stage). And they effectively made an example of him to the rest of the team. There's simply no excuse for a player who has a golden opportunity to win a starting job at a wide open position to come back out of shape, which invariably leads to injuries as it predictably did for Bowie. The guy absolutely has talent and potential, but he blew this one big time. There's no way around that.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Not like the FO and coaching staff seems to care much, but this sends a message and costs us ZERO. Like Kearly said, get in the doghouse and you're done, they don't care how much it costs to cut you. Your ass is cut.

It also says something that someone picked up a player that we cut immediately, even if he is hurt.

mikeak

Reaction score
drdiags":2y2lu9z0 said:
seedhawk":2y2lu9z0 said:

Well if your statement is true regarding Carp, one still was a 1st round pick and the other a mid-to-late 7th round pick. There still is that unwritten truth about GMs giving their high picks a little more leeway. At least that is what I think has to be added in the comparison of the two.

If you think draft status matters to this FO then I don't think you have been paying attention

Does it matter what they have done in the past for their team in the sense that you review the players overall time - I am sure it does