Cassius Marsh injured in Seahawks Weds Practice

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seah...aves-seahawks-practice-will-have-mri-on-knee/

Marsh got tangled with Lemuel Jeanpierre, who was playing guard today, and defensive lineman D’Anthony Smith at the end of the final play of a running-game portion of the helmets-and-no-shoulder-pads practice. All three went down in a heap, with Marsh staying down. After a minute of sitting up he went onto his back with his gloved hands over the top of his helmet in apparent frustration.

Let's hope for the best. Like Paul Richardson, Justin Britt, Kiero Small and others in this truly phenomenal rookie class, I expected Cassius Marsh to be not just a contributor (like Luke Willson from last year's class), but a real force on the team - and to be one of the leaders in sacks. He has looked like a young Jared Allen on the field. Like Allen, he has a tremendous motor and extraordinary, special quickness that can't be taught.

(Speaking of forces: Greg Bell on TNT, a new competent member of the incompetent Seahawk local media,)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Let's hope this is not serious as Marsh was a very solid addition to the D with what he showed in Denver. Fingers are crossed.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":2kk1ll0w said:
Good news is he walked off the field by himself.

not that its related but maybe people with ACL or MCL tares can walk immediately after the injury . i think its Logan Mankins(Guard , Patriots) that has played an entire seasons with an ACL tare.

anyway my fingers are crossed , I have big expectations for this kid

jblaze

Reaction score
My guess is that if he walked off and came back to the practice field to watch the rest of practice is that it's no big deal, maybe a sprain. Otherwise the doctors would have been working on him and keeping him off of it and it would also have been too painful to walk on. I've torn my ACL before.

They'll probably hold him out a couple of weeks though and that's too bad because he needs the reps as a rookie.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
jblaze":2ey2vi07 said:
My guess is that if he walked off and came back to the practice field to watch the rest of practice is that it's no big deal, maybe a sprain. Otherwise the doctors would have been working on him and keeping him off of it and it would also have been too painful to walk on. I've torn my ACL before.

They'll probably hold him out a couple of weeks though and that's too bad because he needs the reps as a rookie.

Agreed. He will probably be out a couple weeks.

Largent80

Reaction score
He will be ok. Damn, I sure hope all these injuries get it out of their system early. We have lost 3 players for the year already, one of them forever. No more please.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I've asked this in some other threads but as of yet no one has given me an answer but why is LJP playing guard? There was a report from Monday's practice that he had moved to guard and Schilling was moved to Center. This move wasn't reflected in the "official depth chart" thread so I dropped it but according to this story LJP is still practicing at Guard. He was a pretty good back up at Center so does this mean they are giving up on Schilling at guard as Sweezy's back up or is Carp's health the issue?

Largent80

Reaction score
Hmmm, if an MRI is scheduled, it could be more serious than a tweak. Hopefully it comes back clean.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3quwneh8 said:
I've asked this in some other threads but as of yet no one has given me an answer but why is LJP playing guard? There was a report from Monday's practice that he had moved to guard and Schilling was moved to Center. This move wasn't reflected in the "official depth chart" thread so I dropped it but according to this story LJP is still practicing at Guard. He was a pretty good back up at Center so does this mean they are giving up on Schilling at guard as Sweezy's back up or is Carp's health the issue?
I chalk it up to cross-training... you know, learning to play multiple positions along the O-line.

Cable's big on that.

halfrack

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":e0j9ru3o said:
not that its related but maybe people with ACL or MCL tares can walk immediately after the injury . i think its Logan Mankins(Guard , Patriots) that has played an entire seasons with an ACL tare.

Well I sure as heck couldn't. NO WAY!

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'm an optimist, so don't take this the wrong way.. but the fact that he limped off on his own power, lends no additional support to the comment that "he'll be fine."

Obviously if he tore his ACL & MCL he would need help walking off, but it's still possible for him to have torn an ACL and limp off.

The best case scenario is a sprain, but based on the reports I've read, I think we're going to lose him for the season.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
lukerguy":ectwbalj said:
I'm an optimist, so don't take this the wrong way.. but the fact that he limped off on his own power, lends no additional support to the comment that "he'll be fine."

Obviously if he tore his ACL & MCL he would need help walking off, but it's still possible for him to have torn an ACL and limp off.

The best case scenario is a sprain, but based on the reports I've read, I think we're going to lose him for the season.

What reports? I haven't seen any updates, really interested in reading up on the injury. Don't want to lose him for the season, I mean we have already had a few to many season ending injuries, don't want another.

Basis4day

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":24v3dcpt said:
lukerguy":24v3dcpt said:

LOLWUT? Where have you read this? What reports? I've heard nothing of the sort. The MRI could also just be precautionary, you know.

There are articles from the beat writers who all have the same information. He got caught in a pile.
He's getting an MRI and they'll know more then.

Hawks46

Reaction score
lukerguy":3f9s8bm2 said:

Well, not trying to split hairs but the writer said he "walked off" and not "limped off". First guess would be a minor tweak. The Hawks aren't going to let him walk all over the place if he has signifigant knee damage, especially being ACL defecient in any way. Partial tears turn into full tears that way. And no, having an MRI doesn't mean it's serious. Most teams will have MRI's done as a precaution just to make sure it's not serious and the player can then continue to practice.

As to the ACL tear discussion, yes you can tear your ACL and walk off. WIthout a limp. I've done it. My orthopedic surgeon explained it like this "there are 3 groups of people that have ACL/ligament tears:

group 1 is the guys that can't walk, can't move it, have significant swelling, etc.

group 2 is guys that limp a bit but have good range of motion and can move around on it. After time and physical therapy, this group can move around and function mostly normally without surgery

group 3 is the folks that dang near don't know they tore their ACL. They live a normal active life and can function normally being ACL deficient.

Now, none of this is talking about functioning normally on a professional football field. I won't worry about Marsh until we hear more, but if he walked off normally, then walked back and watched practice, he's good. The very least the Hawks physicians would do is a drawer(probably misspelled) test and that would determine if he tore his ACL or not. I was walking normally without a limp the day after I tore mine. Then I went and got a drawer test and about came off the exam table after the guy pulled on my leg. It was excruciating and my leg literally dislocated.

Then I walked out of the room. Without a limp. Knees can be weird.